VW 261MPG Production Prototype

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Carlos
Carlos

VW 261MPG Production Prototype

Probably with a 95 lbs driver :D
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01 ... otype/?hpw
The original version of the VW XL1 weighed about 900 lbs/410kg and was front wheel drive. As it nears it's 2013 production date, it has evolved to about 1800lbs/820kg and rear wheel drive. Both versions powered by an 800cc engine powering a 'generator'. A range of 22 miles on battery power.

As long as it corners at 1G+; I'm all right with it :)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: VW 261MPG Production Prototype

For the average driver these figures are a pipe dream. No doubt an expert driver was used to attain these figures.
It reminded me of a top gear fuel challenge, and the false perception people have about some performance cars...

A Toyota Prius with 1 litre of fuel, driving uneconomically compared to an M3 with 1 litre of fuel, driven like it was carrying Miss Daisy.
Of course the M3 won the comparison, stunning alot of people.

Its good tech alright, but what practical uses can it give when put into mass production and critically when used in everyday conditions. Because I bet that figure of 270 odd mpg was done in perfect conditions.

My everyday champion is still the 116/118D BMW.
More could have been done.
David Purley

tomislavp4

Make it a 3 seater, sell it for under 30000 euros and I'm sold! Yeah, none of those who buy it will get close to 261mpg but even if they get half that, hell even if they get 1/3 that, it is still pretty remarkable in my book

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Some BMW 1 series test mules with current tech are doing 85mpg with one critical change. Carbon Fibre in place of steel.
David Purley

tomislavp4

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Some BMW 1 series test mules with current tech are doing 85mpg with one critical change. Carbon Fibre in place of steel.
I bet they are being driven like this thing was when it got 261mpg :)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Nope, real world tests. Just like my mates 118D did 65mpg all the way to Newcastle.

I would never have believed it, but I was in it. :o
David Purley

Formula None
Formula None

I was hoping someone was going to post this. I think it looks fantastic. Its 2011, we should have been driving cars that look like this for the past 20 years. More than a little C111 in the rear and top view, to my eyes. Big improvement over the the Leafs, Volts and Prii of the world, IMO.

From the press release:
The new Volkswagen XL1 attains a CO2 emissions value of 24 g/km, thanks to a combination of lightweight construction (monocoque and add-on parts made of carbon fibre), very low aerodynamic drag (Cd 0.186) and a plug-in hybrid system - consisting of a two cylinder TDI engine (35 kW / 48 PS), E-motor (20 kW / 27 PS), 7-speed dual-clutch transmission (DSG) and lithium-ion battery. The results: with fuel consumption of 0.9 l/100 km, the new Volkswagen XL1 only emits 24 g/km CO2. Since it is designed as a plug-in hybrid, the XL1 prototype can also be driven for up to 35 kilometres in pure electric mode, i.e. with zero emissions at point of use. The battery can be charged from a conventional household electric outlet. Naturally, battery regeneration is also employed to recover energy while slowing down and store as much of it as possible in the battery for re-use. In this case, the electric motor acts as an electric generator.

Formula None
Formula None

VW have been doing some great concepts for entry level, fuel efficient cars with clean, sober styling (always refreshing in the cartoon car segment) the past few years.

The previous tandem seating arrangement iteration (L1):

And the original 1L concept:
The drag coefficient (Cd) is 0.159...

...The engine is a one-cylinder 299 cc (18 cu in) diesel producing just 6.3 kW (8.4 hp). It drives through a six-speed transmission that combines stick-shift mechanics, weight, and drive efficiency with automatic convenience and efficiency controls.

-Wikipedia

Space Up! concept:

Up! Lite concept w/ movable radiator inlet (that long overdue inexpensive technology) and CF spoke wheels:
The Volkswagen up! Lite concept car has a hybrid powertrain with one 0.8 litres (48.8 cu in) two-cylinder Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) diesel engine and one 10 kilowatts (14 PS; 13 bhp) electric motor, and using a seven-speed dry dual-clutch Direct-Shift Gearbox (DSG).

It weighs 695 kilograms (1,532 lb), has a top-speed of 160 kilometres per hour (99 mph), and CO2 emission not more than 65 g/km.

-Wikipedia