Why the cut outs in rear wing endplates?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
raymondu999

Re: Why the cut outs in rear wing endplates?

Here's an article explaining JUST that: http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/08/0 ... ur-trails/
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

Anyone else notice the "aero appendages" on the sidepods (visible just below the mirror stalks). Any chance these could be used for more downforce as I though this was supposed to be banned.

bhall
bhall

As a result of McLaren's u-shaped sidepod solution this year, they have some leeway within the regulations to add winglets in that area, as bodywork is obviously not banned there.

EDIT: Rephrased
Last edited by bhall on 25 Aug 2011, 04:42, edited 1 time in total.

raymondu999

Yeap I believe the regs are special there because that's the area where mirrors are. For example the mirror stalks on the MGP are sculpted in a way that does help their aero a bit. So what can you say?

Usually teams don't use them to directly produce downforce though, more for managing flow to make elements rear of those such as the beam or rear wings to help them make more downforce
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

heho07
heho07

Does air comes inside rear wing or goes outside of it?
I thought that because of that pressure above rear wing is higher than the area outside of rear wing endplate air goes out.
Is it correct?
which area do have higher pressure?inside (above) or outside?
Sorry for my bad English.

wesley123
wesley123

The top side of the wing in between the end plates has the highest pressure. On the outside of the end plates there is a more regular pressure, and on the underside of the wing, you have low pressure. The slots in the wing and the cutouts on the back reduce the vortex shed by the low and high pressure air mixing up
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

heho07
heho07

thanks wesley123.
So you said that air comes in.
Is it correct that top side of f1 wing decrease air speed unlike underside of it that increase air speed?
If it is correct then top side of wing must do have higher pressure than outside of rear wing endpalte and then air must goes out.

heho07
heho07

Can anyone answer last question?
Please

Cuky

air goes out thorough those slots and cuts.

It is quite basic physics that two areas with different pressure tend to balance that pressure. So, high pressure from inside will go out to where lower pressure until you have same pressure on both sides.

That is also the reason why we have winds, because air from high pressure area tends to go to area where air pressure is lower

heho07
heho07

thanks Cuky.
Now we have two different answer,wesley123 say that air comes in and Cuky say that air goes out.

McMrocks
McMrocks

heho07 wrote:thanks Cuky.
Now we have two different answer,wesley123 say that air comes in and Cuky say that air goes out.
i think Cuky means the slots in the end plates where the high pressure air above the wing flows in the area at the outside of the wing where is less pressure.

Wesley just says that the air is mixed up which is also true.

i love the post from justafan at the first page. good read

edit: my opinion: at the slots the high pressurized air from above the wing flows out and at the outcuts the air from outside of the RW flows in the low pressure area below the wing. Because high pressure air always wants to move in the low pressure area.

wesley123
wesley123

Neither of those truly happens.

Because of the higher pressure on the outside of the wing compared to the inside behind the wing the higher pressure air wants to mix with the other, this causes an counter clockwise vortex(on the right side) and it would cause a clockwise vortex on the left side.

The cutouts and slits in the wing are to reduce the vortex that will happen.

heho07
heho07

How they can reduce vortex?

wesley123
wesley123

the vents in the end plate bleed high pressure air in the more 'regular' pressure air. By doing so they prevent the air from mixing at the trailing edge, thus reducing the vortex which is shed in that area

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

so the slits bleed the high pressure into a low pressure area that is to the outside of the wing. so that there is less high pressure going over the top of the wing that will mix with the low pressure and create vortices which will increase drag. so the whole aim of the slits is to reduce drag?? is that about right???