English Question

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
chrisc90

Re: Re:

TimW wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 22:05
Slumberer wrote:
15 Sep 2004, 10:58
Well, "mechanic" is a noun so it doesn't have a participle.
A mechanic works with mechanical items.
He doesn't mechanic.
In the same way that an aardvark doesn't aardvark, a human doesn't human and a pencil doesn't pencil.
Some nouns do create a verb form though not neccessarily being the subject of the verb themselves.
A Hoover might hoover, and a drill might drill, but a fish doesn't fish. (Ignoring the angler fish, naturally).
A mechanic mechanizes.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... /mechanize

(So it is mechanizing)
Id disagree on that one.

chrisc90

Re: English Question

I've never ever heard the word 'mechanize' to describe a person (mechanic) that fixes something.

Imagine saying, " i'm taking my car to the mechanic so he can mechanize it" Sounds totally stupid. You would say your taking it to get 'repaired' or get 'fixed'.

For it to be used right in speech, you need to change the context of your sentence and how you are using it.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... h/mechanic

mechanize - is effectively the automation of something.

TimW
TimW

chrisc90 wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 23:36
I've never ever heard the word 'mechanize' to describe a person (mechanic) that fixes something.

Imagine saying, " i'm taking my car to the mechanic so he can mechanize it" Sounds totally stupid. You would say your taking it to get 'repaired' or get 'fixed'.

For it to be used right in speech, you need to change the context of your sentence and how you are using it.

And yet your car is a mechanized wagon. While mechanic may be mostly used nowadays as someone who repairs or maintains a machine, it can also be someone who builds a machine.

It may not be the everyday use, but the word mechanic is derived from mechanize. You will also not often accuse your doctor of doctoring something, yet the words have the same origin.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

TimW wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 07:52
chrisc90 wrote:

And yet your car is a mechanized wagon. While mechanic may be mostly used nowadays as someone who repairs or maintains a machine, it can also be someone who builds a machine.

It may not be the everyday use, but the word mechanic is derived from mechanize. You will also not often accuse your doctor of doctoring something, yet the words have the same origin.
In English, the word is mechanise, s not z. USian uses the z.

When one mechanises something, one is using mechanical systems to replace human labour. One mechanises a factory, for example, to enable more cars to be built. The factory doesn't mechanise cars, it builds them. The people in the factory don't mechanise cars, they build them. The output of the factory, the cars, then mechanise the population - the car replaces the human labour of walking/carrying things long distances.

As for doctors, one wouldn't say "I'm going to see a doctor so he can doctor me"
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TimW
TimW

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 08:40

When one mechanises something, one is using mechanical systems to replace human labour. One mechanises a factory, for example, to enable more cars to be built. The factory doesn't mechanise cars, it builds them. The people in the factory don't mechanise cars, they build them. The output of the factory, the cars, then mechanise the population - the car replaces the human labour of walking/carrying things long distances.

As for doctors, one wouldn't say "I'm going to see a doctor so he can doctor me"
More correctly the mechanization of wagons replaced horse labour. :D

Ah, yes, ise or ize. I love upsetting my British colleagues with that. :mrgreen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_ ... _-ization)

Big Tea

chrisc90 wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 23:26
TimW wrote:
Slumberer wrote:
15 Sep 2004, 10:58
Well, "mechanic" is a noun so it doesn't have a participle.
A mechanic works with mechanical items.
He doesn't mechanic.
In the same way that an aardvark doesn't aardvark, a human doesn't human and a pencil doesn't pencil.
Some nouns do create a verb form though not neccessarily being the subject of the verb themselves.
A Hoover might hoover, and a drill might drill, but a fish doesn't fish. (Ignoring the angler fish, naturally).
A mechanic mechanizes.

(So it is mechanizing)
Id disagree on that one.
Me too. Mechanising means making something mechanically operate.
Example Mechanised infantry
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

TimW wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 09:16
Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 08:40

More correctly the mechanization of wagons replaced horse labour. :D

Ah, yes, ise or ize. I love upsetting my British colleagues with that. :mrgreen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_ ... _-ization)
Well, it is our language. :wink: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TimW
TimW

Big Tea wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 14:33
chrisc90 wrote:
TimW wrote:

A mechanic mechanizes.

(So it is mechanizing)
Id disagree on that one.
Now I am getting curious. What would you call someone who mechanizes (sorry, mechanises :D ) a process, someone who makes / assembles a machine?
I would typically use 'technician', but 'mechanic' seems OK to me too, if maybe archaic in that context.

Big Tea

sorry, double post
sorry tim please see below
Last edited by Big Tea on 19 Jul 2022, 16:24, edited 2 times in total.

Big Tea

TimW wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 16:02
Big Tea wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 14:33
chrisc90 wrote:

Id disagree on that one.
Now I am getting curious. What would you call someone who mechanizes (sorry, mechanises :D ) a process, someone who makes / assembles a machine?
I would typically use 'technician', but 'mechanic' seems OK to me too, if maybe archaic in that context.
Yes, and if he made it function he would still be a mechanic, and 'it' would be mechansed.

Big Tea

Big Tea wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 16:17
TimW wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 07:52
chrisc90 wrote:

You are correct, it is a mechanic. If the 'person' was an engine, he/she would be a mechanical. (mechanism if you prefer)

chrisc90

A engineer?

Rodak
Rodak

Re:

Steven wrote:
17 Sep 2004, 19:43
Under the slogan "F1technical.net is good for you", we will one day all be able to speak decent english :lol:
Well, I keep my fingers crossed that the masses will someday learn the difference between 'braking' and 'breaking'.....

Big Tea

chrisc90 wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 16:39
A engineer?
I was near an engine once

henry

Artificer must be in the running for something.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus