Comparison of all 2011 cars

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Comparison of all 2011 cars

That's what I heard too. Potentially there is a shorter radius that can be turned, but that is probably negated by the lateral acceleration needed?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Do you say that because of the higher CofG?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

raymondu999

I say that because probably the moments... or "torque" needed, at that longer length, you'd need a greater force? If we take the rear axles as the pivot for example, the longer wheelbase, technically, could turn "easier," using less lateral force from the tyres onto the car to accelerate it laterally? It's that thing with force x distance from pivot = torque. My physics is rusty so I could be talking rubbish.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I thought you were referring to the SWB cars, hence my "higher CofG" comment.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

luca
luca

Could a long/short wheelbase affect tyre wear?

Also, could a long/short wheelbase help make a car "pointy" or stable?

P.S.: just out of curiosity, does anyone remember if Schumacher generally used a longer or shorter wheelbase car in the years he won the various WDCs?

raymondu999

I always he had long, so that the weight could sit a long way back of the front axles and he had a pointier car
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

luca
luca

I don't understand why Mercedes would go for a shorter wheelbase then. :(

raymondu999

Doesn't make a difference this year, the weight distribution is fixed
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr
myurr

raymondu999 wrote:Doesn't make a difference this year, the weight distribution is fixed
Makes a difference to the aero though, less floor area, tighter bodywork with less scope for clean flow to the rear of the car.

Pedro
Pedro

I was trying to compare the cars aligned by their center. Resampled by wheel size but they are shot from different angles so not perfect.
Looking for better pictures, then I will try to do better job after Barcelona.

HampusA

I decided to make one of my own ;)

Lined up the rear wheel diameter but had trouble finding good pictures. Did however see Pedros post just now and never thought about using their own photos to.

Tell me what you think. It´s not that big of a difference between the cars as you first thought with the first picture someone provided.

The truth will come out...

HampusA

Could someone guide me to the pictures used in the first post?

They are perfect and i´ll put down some time to line up the back wheel and the front wheel if possible.
The truth will come out...

volarchico
volarchico

HampusA wrote:Could someone guide me to the pictures used in the first post?

They are perfect and i´ll put down some time to line up the back wheel and the front wheel if possible.
myurr wrote:If someone wants to make some adjustments, the original psd that I created is here: http://www.pureinnovation.com/images/f1.psd
Not sure if you can use psd files, but those should have everything you need.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Shaddock wrote:
Longer equals more bend/flex in the tub, which then means thicker stronger sides, which means more weight.....more bend... and so on.
I doubt that will make any noticeable difference - the tubs are extremely stiff anyway. The wheelbase change will likely be accomodated by making the fuel cell box slightly longer (and a larger box is stiffer anyway) and by changes in the bellhousing / gearbox both of which are currently structural items and could be stiffened quite easily if required without making them too heavy (and any additional weight will be low in the car anyway so not too detrimental)
The longer the wheel base as in the RB case, gives more clear space at the end of the sidepods to the rear wings(s).
Quite so.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

hankalis
hankalis

Just_a_fan wrote:
Shaddock wrote:
Longer equals more bend/flex in the tub, which then means thicker stronger sides, which means more weight.....more bend... and so on.
I doubt that will make any noticeable difference - the tubs are extremely stiff anyway. The wheelbase change will likely be accomodated by making the fuel cell box slightly longer (and a larger box is stiffer anyway) and by changes in the bellhousing / gearbox both of which are currently structural items and could be stiffened quite easily if required without making them too heavy (and any additional weight will be low in the car anyway so not too detrimental)
The longer the wheel base as in the RB case, gives more clear space at the end of the sidepods to the rear wings(s).
Quite so.
then why not make the cars even longer than longest car this year?
if teams don't make them longer is a clear indication that longer doesn't only imply the positive impact on aero but certainly also some negative impact on somthingelse ..