Bahrain public unrest

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.

Should the Bahrain GP 2011 go ahead in your opinion

Yes, if Bernie decides it is safe they should race.
6%
No, the royal family who promote the race is disgraced and should not be rewarded with a 2011 Bahrain GP.
77%
I do not know what is right.
17%

Total votes: 35

Pandamasque

Re: Bahrain GP 2011 and public unrest

As much as I'd like to see F1 cars race at Portimao, it's not a place you can suddenly go to and have a Grand Prix with everything being ready for this. As far as I've heard AIA will need a major update in facilities/services to host a major event. If I'm not mistaken a big chunk of the 2010 LMS race there was without any connection to the outside world (internet/satellite connection). Neither the teams nor the organizers were very impressed. That was just one of the problems. As a result for 2011 the Portuguese round moved to Estoril.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Ill admit i have absoutley no idea on how the Logistics are impacted with this, as with the Buisness implications, but if someone could give guidance on theese issues id be very grateful.

However, if there was a new test site or a new couple of tests id recon that Portamao would be ideal for one test, and Motorland Aragon would be the other id go for, then maybe Imola and Mugello would be next. If Bahrain testing and race was canceled id recon that id run the test shedule like this:

3rd to 5th March: Motorland Aragon (Not too far from Barcelona)
11th to 13th March: Autódromo Internacional do Algarve (Decent track for a test, and also an opertunity for the track to adere its self to F1)

Then go to Australia for Round 1.

forty-two

Well, as much as I am yearning for the F1 season proper to begin, to be quite frank, I normally find Bahrain to be a boring circuit, leading to very few interesting moments, apart of course from the fact that it's the first chance to see what the teams are up to.

The organisers have cited "visitor safety" as their highest priority, but frankly there rarely seem to be more than a smattering of spectators there anyway!

I know that the 2010 season opener there was exceptionally bad, and worse than it normally is, but starting the season in Melbourne is not such a bad idea IMO.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

PNSD
PNSD

ESPImperium wrote:Martin Haven is reporting that Bahraini internet is now effectivly shut off, the only way he has been able to access the internet is down to a couple of the GP2 teams having some service still avalable.
Must have been a problem with him alone. All other internet is fine.

It seems to me the media is wishing to make more of this than they need to.

WhiteBlue

ESPImperium wrote:Ill admit i have absoutley no idea on how the Logistics are impacted with this, as with the Buisness implications, but if someone could give guidance on theese issues id be very grateful.
James Allan wrote:Given that time is of the essence right now (because no-one knows how long the problems will last, or how dangerous the situation could or could not become), the F1 industry is currently looking at holding the fourth test in Europe and then flying to Bahrain at the last possible moment.

If the situation does not improve – or worsens – and the race cannot be staged, then the big question is whether it would, or could, be re-scheduled for later in the year. I think that could happen – but only if Bahrain pays a massive amount of money to the F1 industry (a) in compensation for the missed date and (b) to finance a totally new event. Will they do that? That is a question that can only be answered in the future, when the situation has calmed and when we know who is ruling the tiny Kingdom.
There you get it from an insider. Replacement race only if Bahrain settles down and makes massive payment for postponing the race.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Ciro Pabón

People, I know some of you are worried about races and, of course, this is a F1 site, but I would recommend some sense of proportions. These images are sobering (strong video, you're advised it is really stressing, I'm not using the youtube tag but giving the link because of that).

http://www.youtube.com/v/B6RCBOC-MAM

So, altough I DO NOT WANT TO CONVERT THIS THREAD INTO A DEBATE ABOUT MIDDLE WEST REVOLUTIONS and I will ask mods to close the thread if this happens, I also recommend, out of respect for the people of Bahrain to devote ourselves to other threads. I believe it is enough to register that the GP is over for the moment and move ahead to other issues.
Ciro

Scorpaguy

Stupid place to have an F1 race anyway...regardless of political climate. Several locales would offer more fans and interest. Bahrain is just a case of people with too much money paying other people with too much money to hold an event for prestige purposes only.

FW17

Just_a_fan wrote:It may not be possible to go elsewhere instead:
Asked if the race could be held elsewhere, Booth [from Virgin Racing] said: "Impractical. Our sea freight, like every other team's, left for Bahrain a month ago, and a lot of the equipment in the sea freight is vital of the running of the cars. So to run it somewhere else would be very difficult."
this from http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 400392.stm

I always thought that DHL moved F1 by Air fright. First time hearing about sea fright
Five 747s and 35 containers arriving in Bahrain for the first F1™ race of the 2010 season.
On average 300 tons of materials and equipment moved to overseas races.

Five 747s and 35 containers (five 20ft; 30 40ft) carrying freight for the 2010 Formula 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix are arriving this week for the first race of the 2010 season, 2010 Formula 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix, which is taking place from 12 - 14 March. F1™ freight is handled centrally by Formula One Management (FOM) and DHL, its official logistics partner.

Throughout the F1™ racing season, DHL moves up to 300 tons of equipment per race across 5 continents and between 19 countries by land, sea and air, to a tightly controlled timetable.

The DHL global network which links 220 countries and territories worldwide ensures that replacements can be provided at very short notice and from local resources, should any vehicle breakdown occur. "DHL has 25 years of motor sport experience behind its work in the field of Formula 1™ racing. We understand the needs of the sports - speed, precision, reliability and teamwork are quintessential success factors for both DHL and F1™ teams," said Garry Kemp, Managing Director, DHL Express Middle East, North Africa and Turkey.
Each overseas race, an average of 20,000 individual items per race is transported by air. DHL works for most of the F1™ teams to help manage the freight generated. This includes racing cars as well as their replacement parts - engines, tires, and spares; complete gas/petrol requirements; and additional freight such as TV equipment, VIP tents, computer equipment, laptops, up to 100 radio sets and headphones. Not forgetting all the useful things that make life in the paddock more convenient and cater to VIP guests - from paper serviettes and vacuum cleaners to champagne.

Richard
Richard

WilliamsF1 wrote:I always thought that DHL moved F1 by Air fright. First time hearing about sea fright
The quote you posted had the following sentence ....
Throughout the F1™ racing season, DHL moves up to 300 tons of equipment per race across 5 continents and between 19 countries by land, sea and air, to a tightly controlled timetable.
That quote also says 35 containers arrived by air. That's just 1.5 containers per team.

IMHO Its the cars that get worked on until the last minute at the factory that need to go by air. The other stuff can get sent ahead much earlier by sea.

ps - I see the press release differentially puts a (TM)after F1 but not DHL

FW17

Guess since it is the first race, teams have time to sea fright their equipment.

Jakkals

Should the Bharain GP be cancelled?

At the moment there is a big ethical and political debate developing around the situation in Bahrain. See: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/02/18/b ... rand-prix/ and http://www.autoevolution.com/news/lauda ... 31479.html for instance.

I for one think that, given the situation at the moment, the the race should not happen. Would be interesting to hear the perspective of others on this issue.

What will the consequences be for the season if the race is scrapped? More time to test, more time to get those last aero parts sorted and fitted, and maybe a better start in Melbourne? Who knows?
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 18 Feb 2011, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged into here from own thread.
Technology... is a queer thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other.

Tamburello
Tamburello

I don't think I'll watch the GP if they hold it in Bahrain. It's simply unacceptable in the current climate and it would be truly sad if F1 stoops so low as to go ahead with the race.

Hold the test in Barcelona and move on to Melbourne.

WhiteBlue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

Contrary to what Bernie believes the news from Bahrain indicate that public unrest continues despite the military siege. At 3 pm this afternoon several hundred protesters tried to get access to the Pearl roundabout and were beaten off by the military forces now controlling the city of Manama. The military used tear gas and shot live rounds with automatic weapons mostly over the heads of people. Reportedly more than twenty five protesters were wounded in the incident.

The Salamynia hospital in Manama has become the focal point of the protests with more than 2,000 people now demonstrating in the hospital grounds. One of the wounded men apparently died at the hospital and two more casualties are expected from seriously wounded. It is unknown if further victims of the military intervention exist because ambulances are denied access to Pearl roundabout.

There is no way that the race can go ahead if the main hospital of Bahrain is filled with civil war casualties and becomes the main demonstration ground.
MANAMA | Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:19pm EST
Feb 18 (Reuters) - Bahrain's King Hamad bin Isa al-Khalifa has asked the crown prince to start a national dialogue "with all parties" to resolve the crisis rocking the island kingdom, an official statement said.

Sheikh Salman bin Hamad al-Khalifa had been given "all the powers to fulfil the hopes and aspirations of all gracious citizens from all sections", it added.
Another interesting twist from today is the new role that king Hamad Al Khalifa is giving to crown prince Salman. He is the CEO of the Bahrain circuit company (BIC) which is a 100% holding of the Bahrain sovereign wealth fund Mumtalakat and deputy supreme commander of the Bahrain military. One assumes that Salman has been totally involved in the military intervention. How can he be a credible force in a dialogue?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

forty-two

WhiteBlue wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

Contrary to what Bernie believes the news from Bahrain indicate that public unrest continues despite the military siege. At 3 pm this afternoon several hundred protesters tried to get access to the Pearl roundabout and were beaten off by the military forces now controlling the city of Manama. The military used tear gas and shot live rounds with automatic weapons mostly over the heads of people. Reportedly more than twenty five protesters were wounded in the incident.

The Salamynia hospital in Manama has become the focal point of the protests with more than 2,000 people now demonstrating in the hospital grounds. One of the wounded men apparently died at the hospital and two more casualties are expected from seriously wounded. It is unknown if further victims of the military intervention exist because ambulances are denied access to Pearl roundabout.

There is no way that the race can go ahead if the main hospital of Bahrain is filled with civil war casualties and becomes the main demonstration ground.
MANAMA | Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:19pm EST
Feb 18 (Reuters) - Bahrain's King Hamad bin Isa al-Khalifa has asked the crown prince to start a national dialogue "with all parties" to resolve the crisis rocking the island kingdom, an official statement said.

Sheikh Salman bin Hamad al-Khalifa had been given "all the powers to fulfil the hopes and aspirations of all gracious citizens from all sections", it added.
Another interesting twist from today is the new role that king Hamad Al Khalifa is giving to crown prince Salman. He is the CEO of the Bahrain circuit company (BIC) which is a 100% holding of the Bahrain sovereign wealth fund Mumtalakat and deputy supreme commander of the Bahrain military. One assumes that Salman has been totally involved in the military intervention. How can he be a credible force in a dialogue?
Hate to say it, but as die-hard an F1 fan as I consider myself to be, I really hope that the powers that be in Bahrain do not use "all the powers" to make sure the race goes ahead, especially if that means continued agression toward peaceful protesters... to make sure a race happens?

Not in my name, nor the name of the sport I hold dear!

Bernie should cancel test and race forthwith IMO.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Roland Ehnström

Agreed.