Bahrain public unrest

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.

Should the Bahrain GP 2011 go ahead in your opinion

Yes, if Bernie decides it is safe they should race.
6%
No, the royal family who promote the race is disgraced and should not be rewarded with a 2011 Bahrain GP.
77%
I do not know what is right.
17%

Total votes: 35

WhiteBlue

Re: Bahrain GP 2011 and public unrest

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwnUQcKXmMM[/youtube]

the people in the video were shouting "peaceful peaceful!"

One should not be in any doubt that Salman al Khalifa is any better than his father (the king) and his grand uncle (the prime minister). He is deputy supreme commander of the Bahraini military and he must have been fully aware what the military set out to do to the people. He is CEO of the Bahrain International Circuit and the person Bernie speaks to and he must have taken the decision to call off the GP2 race in the hope to squash the demonstrators by military action in time for the grand prix. Such cynical calculations should not be rewarded by a grand prix taking place. I will definitely boycott the race and not watch it if they make an attempt at running it.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

As anxious as I am to see the race season get underway, I have also decided to not watch the Bahraini GP should it take place.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

If F1 and or Bernie had any balls instead of money grabbing they should boycott the race in Bahrain, and any further races!! F1 has no place in a country that allows or sanctions such behavior.

Ciro Pabón

Prudence is the virtue of the wise. Please, guys, I beg, do not use this thread to denigrate Ecclestone or F1. You have plenty of things you can use to do that, besides this GP, as usual (sigh). When I want to improve things, I start by changing the persons that are closer to me, like... me. I'm sure Mr.Ecclestone is able to learn the lessons he might need to learn, specially economic ones.

I again advise mods to lock this thread, at least for some time. This thread is a potential mess, it is "out of the game" for F1Tech. Let's people flock to F1 Fanatic to talk about this, we will lose nothing. The key word here is "technical", instead of "fanatic". ;) (sorry, sorry, just a joke, no offense intended. Weeeell, maybe a bit, but just a tiny bit. You know me...).

Besides, the voting options in this thread are... All right, I shut up, but you also know what I'm thinking of this poll. As I said, you know me and I fail to find entertaining to ask if the sky is a) blue, b) black, c) I don't know if it is day or night.

Finally I'm sure F1Tech hasn't changed its long standing policy, instituted under the tutelage of a very smart, modest and handsome mod, racer extraordinaire (already retired), of avoiding to have people in a bad mood as contributors... or worse yet, bad mood mods (ha, ha! Did you get it? Funny, isn't it?).
Ciro

manchild
manchild

When I wrote identical opinion about Chinese GP when China stormed Tibet protesters few years ago and used army against people of Tibet who were protesting, I was shut up and my posts deleted.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5322

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkMcj4vQtRU[/youtube]

I'm not saying that it should be applied to posts about Bahrain, just mentioning how situation is the same.

WB, mx_tifosi and others said they won't watch it because of oppression of regime over people of Bahrain. I've said and done the same about Chinese GP and was shut up here/moderated/deleted.

It is universal principle we are talking about here I think - country whose regime imprisons, beats or kills their own citizens because they act-up or protest seeking more freedom, should not be in F1 calendar.

When F1 comes to a country with such regime, it does good only for the regime, and no good for the people.

Unfortunately, Berie's lust for more money led F1 to countries where human rights at certain points are on the level on medieval Europe or even worse. F1 should remain open-minded gentleman's sport, promoting cosmopolitanism and equality between people etc. Regimes incompatible with that should not be allowed to host a GP. As simple as that.
Last edited by manchild on 19 Feb 2011, 15:11, edited 2 times in total.

FrukostScones

Dear Ciro pabon, I really don't understand your last post. For me it sounds like you don't have an opinion and don't want to be bothered. Please make it clear.
You know Bernies comments about dictators and dictatorships? In this context pretty yummy!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

conni
conni

what will happen to mclaren as its mostley owned by the govt

conni

WhiteBlue

Just an update on the situation in Bahrain. The royal family have promised that they are pulling the military out of Manama and that the police will will further have the responsibility to keep the peace.

source

It is a step in the right direction for the Al Khalifas to do. It rests to be seen if the Bahrainis will be able to peacefully gather and voice their grievances in public. If people are shot by riot police who simply exercise their human rights that is not going to defuse the crisis and make the 2011 race possible IMO.

The prove of Salman al Khalifa's will to change things for the better will be seen in the Salmaniya hospital. If the doctors can go back to normal and don't have all beds full with victims of government violence he will get a more positive press. Until that day one has to assume that he was part of the cynical game of trying to brutally silence the protest ahead of the grand prix. They have the chance to put things right in time for the 2012 GP.
Ciro Pabon wrote:I again advise mods to lock this thread, at least for some time.
I advise the admin and the mods not to follow Ciro's advise. The users at F1technical.com should have the opportunity to post and read information and opinion directly relevant to the 2011 Bahrain GP. I'm not advocating general political discussions but a free forum to discuss issues directly relevant to the running of the 2011 calendar.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Richard
Richard

Manchild - alas the scale of China is such that Tibet is 4000km from Shanghai,it all seems rather remote, whereas the whole of the country of Bahrain is just 55 x 11km.

The other thing is the F1 is contemplating cancellation based on safety rather than a political boycott. Safety of the participants in Shanghai wasn't affected by events in Tibet.

Meanwhile, this evening I will send emails to all the teams telling that it is inappropriate to attend Bahrain for testing or the race considering safety of attendees, concerns that the authorities may have a security crack down in preparation for F1 arriving, and finally that it is inappropriate to be supporting a regime that's shoots its own peaceful civilians.

An ostentations display of wealth surrounding F1 would be obscene and can only damage the sponsors. I'll try to dig out email addresses for the key sponsors as well.

manchild
manchild

No fight, just step by step answer to prevent misunderstandings.
richard_leeds wrote:Manchild - alas the scale of China is such that Tibet is 4000km from Shanghai,it all seems rather remote, whereas the whole of the country of Bahrain is just 55 x 11km.
I think that members of forum who said they will boycott it, will not watch etc. it didn't have in mind safety, but the ethical motives - sympathy towards people of Bahrain and antipathy for the blue-blooded prick on top of the country and the rest of the fascist regime.

No one denies safety as important issue, but if crackdown is happening than by default there is no safety. If the regime allowed demonstrations to take place peacefully as they've started, safety in the whole country would be ok. Regime is the one who'd rather have bloodshed to prevent GP and media exposure during it, than to allow peaceful demonstrations with slogans and banners in front F1 cameras.
richard_leeds wrote:The other thing is the F1 is contemplating cancellation based on safety rather than a political boycott. Safety of the participants in Shanghai wasn't affected by events in Tibet.
Define me "F1". If F1 is FOM, than I'm not surprised that under management of creature who praised Hitler it would acceptable to hold event as long as it is safe for the participants. Tanks could roll over protestants, but if money flows wouldn't be able to hear anything else.

I like to think of F1 as fans, the global population of them, rather than commercial organization that is currently controlling championship.

richard_leeds wrote:Meanwhile, this evening I will send emails to all the teams telling that it is inappropriate to attend Bahrain for testing or the race considering safety of attendees, concerns that the authorities may have a security crack down in preparation for F1 arriving, and finally that it is inappropriate to be supporting a regime that's shoots its own peaceful civilians.

An ostentations display of wealth surrounding F1 would be obscene and can only damage the sponsors. I'll try to dig out email addresses for the key sponsors as well.
That's nice from you. I'd only put the last argument on P1 - "it is inappropriate to be supporting a regime that's shoots its own peaceful civilians".

Giblet
Giblet

The crap is really hitting the proverbial fan right now in Bahrain. Peaceful protestors being fired on and killed in the street.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQI4RrbAhOs[/youtube]
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

And the UN and so-called Western "superpowers" do nothing. This makes me nervous as Iran is close at hand and we all know which nation has an itching to impose themselves there. I'll say no more on that.

The GP should not go ahead, even if the troubles are sorted out beofer the race. The last thing Bahrain will need is a high profile sporting event to go ahead in what is basically a war-zone. It is too much of a target and the race should not even be a priority for Bahrain.

Ray

richard_leeds wrote: The canisters in Tunisia and Egypt were marked "Made in USA". What did the USA think they were going to be used for when they were sold? Chasing rabbits off the golf courses?
Same reason the French sell explosive ordnance to anyone that will buy it. Money. I wish the US would quit messing with other peoples countries and get the eff out of every country around the world. Then again history repeats itself. I hate what our 'leaders' are doing and have done for almost a hundred years. Screw F1, these people are more important than some racing series wanting to hold an event.

Scorpaguy

...yes I guess its the USA's fault...as are the British APC's, German assault rifles, Euro's in the banks, etc. World politics is a mess and always has been/always will be. The point should be, is that for the sake of a bit more cash, deserving tracks and fans scattered in many free/peaceful countries are being robbed of the greatest sport in the world.

F1 should take note and give the sport back to its deserving fans ... going to such countires is utter rubbish.

ringo

mx_tifosi wrote:As anxious as I am to see the race season get underway, I have also decided to not watch the Bahraini GP should it take place.

I'm watching it if it's on. It's sport not politics.

I wont enjoy the race any less. The race could be in Iran or North Korea, middle eastern and European politics doesn't cross my mind if i'm watching a sport.

Safety is the only issue that should decide whether the race runs or not. I wont demonize a country because of a little protest which doesn't have clear motives.

If the same protesting happened in the UK, Germany,Spain i don't think a race would be canceled or viewers would turn away, just to retain a certain image.
For Sure!!