Bahrain public unrest

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.

Should the Bahrain GP 2011 go ahead in your opinion

Yes, if Bernie decides it is safe they should race.
6%
No, the royal family who promote the race is disgraced and should not be rewarded with a 2011 Bahrain GP.
77%
I do not know what is right.
17%

Total votes: 35

WhiteBlue

Re: Bahrain GP 2011 and public unrest

Giblet wrote:The crap is really hitting the proverbial fan right now in Bahrain. Peaceful protestors being fired on and killed in the street. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQI4RrbAhOs
You are way behind the events. Today was basically peaceful. Pearl roundabout is again in the hands of the people and the violence has reportedly stopped. It rests to be seen if the process continues and the royal family will agree to the demands to pull out of government and allow a constitutional monarchy. It is very doubtful that substantial progress with these demands is made in the next three weeks. IMO a conditional postponement to the end of the season back to back with Abu Dhabi would be the best solution. The GP should only be run if the regime remains peaceful until Novenber.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

manchild
manchild

WhiteBlue wrote:You are way behind the events. Today was basically peaceful. Pearl roundabout is again in the hands of the people and the violence has reportedly stopped... The GP should only be run if the regime remains peaceful until Novenber.
What a load of crap WB. Seriously, should we declare amnesty for murderers because they've stopped killing?! What is that November suggestion too?

They have committed ultimate crimes that not expire by any low, anywhere in the world.

If the bustards fall and Bahrain gets new government elected by the people than it would be OK to hold event, otherwise not.

Would you really like to see that sob of crown prince giving trophies on podium in November or any time in future, knowing that he killed so many innocent civilians?

His faith is sealed, hope crowd gets him before he flees the country (goes for the whole royal family too).

andartop
andartop

I am all for boycotting F1 races in countries governed by regimes who do not respect human rights and murder innocent civilians.

Now you tell me which of the 20 races I should watch without feeling guilty. Before you start listing any of the European countries that host races just don't forget to ask the people of former Yugoslavia, Iraq or Afghanistan...
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Just read that MrE is to leave the decision on the race to the royal family. If this is true then the race will go ahead I suspect. The royals will want to carry on as normal, and of course make sure all their filthy rich chums get their little plaything for the weekend.

If the race goes ahead I think it is the wrong deecision. There are more pressing priorities for Bahrain at the moment, and catering for an event for tourists and local wealthy is not one of them.

andartop - I guess that would leave Belgium? The US GP would be cancelled before it started! There wouldn't be any British GP either.

WhiteBlue

manchild wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:You are way behind the events. Today was basically peaceful. Pearl roundabout is again in the hands of the people and the violence has reportedly stopped... The GP should only be run if the regime remains peaceful until Novenber.
What a load of crap WB. Seriously, should we declare amnesty for murderers because they've stopped killing?! What is that November suggestion too?
I would give Salman the benefit of doubt if he keeps Bahrain on a peaceful track throughout the year as do some of the Bahrainis who have publicly posted or spoken out. You cannot know for certain that he had the power to stop a decision by his father or the prime minister, his grand uncle. IMO Bahrain will go back to violence unless those two are removed from power.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Steven
Owner

Re: Bahrain public unrest

Gents, this thread can remain open as long is its sane debate and facts sharing. Please do not get involved into personal opinion and fights about this issue, because it will lead to you posts getting removed.

Also, the Bahrain GP thread (to discuss the actual racing, if any) will be opened at an appropriate time. Don't worry.

manchild
manchild

andartop wrote:I am all for boycotting F1 races in countries governed by regimes who do not respect human rights and murder innocent civilians.

Now you tell me which of the 20 races I should watch without feeling guilty. Before you start listing any of the European countries that host races just don't forget to ask the people of former Yugoslavia, Iraq or Afghanistan...
I agree with you, there isn't a regime in this world pure enough to be called pure, many countries are at war or support certain wars, but here aren't many in calendar that send tanks and army to shoot down peaceful protesters, their own citizens.

Grand Prix of certain country should be a Grand Prix of the country, since countries are formed by people, not by regimes. GP shouldn't represent a regime, but the country as whole, and if regime turns weapon against their own citizens, than it becomes a GP of local regime, not the GP of the country.

Unfortunately, in certain countries GP are organized directly by same people who give orders to police and army to kill innocent people.

If it was up to me, I'd depoliticize all sports completely, including F1.

Team, athlete, club, sponsor, circuit name - YES

Country name, anthem, flag, politician - NO

The former abuse events for their personal promotion, promotion of their political parties, regime, ideology, religions etc. and most of all as panem et circenses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses

2011F1
2011F1

Now Bahrain Grand Prix situation in Photos

Anti-government protesters have occupied a central square in Bahrain's capital, Manama, demanding political reform and a more direct say in government...

More Photos are there: ...
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 04 Mar 2011, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed link.

ringo

This is over reacting. The media is making this look more widespread than it is.
You can't punish another country by sanctions in some form or another because you can't impose your culture and beliefs on them.
Seen this too many times in European and american history. Leave the people alone and let them do what they want to themselves.
For Sure!!

Pandamasque

So basically BE put the decision whether to risk the lives of F1 circus members, in the hands of the man who's already responsible for mass slaughter of innocent protesters. Nice.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Even if the Crown Prince says yes, the teams are not keen. I guess they could boycott the race. Either way, MrE is doing the right thing by passing the decision to those that know the situation better.

WhiteBlue

Bahrain protesters call for the race to be called off or postponed. Source
Hasan Dhani, 23 y/o Bahrain protester wrote:There is a big connection between (the uprising) and Formula 1. The race has been the prince's dream since he was a child. He wants to negotiate so he can fulfill this dream, and it makes me sad that his dream is more dear to him than the needs of his people. The F1 is a big festival for us, too, and I love it.
But our demands are worth sacrificing the race for.
Conditional postponing seems the best alternative, as the world can judge Salman by the results of his talks then.

Richard
Richard

ringo wrote:Leave the people alone and let them do what they want to themselves.
letter from Mr E to King Al Khalifa wrote: Dear Hamad

I'm looking forward to our annual jamboree in your country. The hospitality is wonderful and you make everyone feel so welcome. Well, apart from those folk cluttering up your main square, but they really got in the way of the traffic didn't they?

Anyway, I hope you don't me interfering with your internal affairs, but some of our sponsors are a bit sqeamish. Would you mind awfully if I ask that you move any bodies and blood before we arrive? The colour of spilt blood clashes with the red on the Vodafone, Virgin & Ferrari logos. I did suggest they change to blue because they shouldn't let their choice of logo cause you to change your people management policies, but some people don't understand realpolotik do they?

Sorry to add to your woes, Ferrari are threatening to sue because they gave exclusive rights to Dubai for spraying the place Ferrari Red (TM). Could you ask your people to eat blueberries or something to change the colour?

Oh, and please keep any shooting out of earshot of the circuit. Jensen is still a bit twitchy after Sao Paulo last year. I keep reminding him of my thoughts at the time. "Heh Jense, I say "only losers get shot".

Love Bernie

ps - please wash your hands before presenting the prizes.

Richard
Richard

To go back to being geeky and technical again, this time export licences...
Foreign & Commonwealth Office wrote:As a result of the changing situation in Bahrain, we have conducted an immediate and rapid review of UK export licences. With advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills, the licensing authority has taken a decision to revoke 24 individual licences and 20 open licences for Bahrain.

A separate decision has also been taken to revoke eight individual licences for Libya. The review of export licences to the wider region, including Yemen, is ongoing.

We have no evidence of British equipment being used in the unrest in Bahrain.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/news/latest-ne ... =553936682

... and finally a significant factor for F1 is the following statement:
Foreign & Commonwealth Office wrote:We advise against all but essential travel to Bahrain until further notice.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-liv ... ca/bahrain
That is the trigger for travel companies to start cancelling holidays, and insurance companies withdraw cover.

Richard
Richard

Well, you have to put up or shut up, so I've sent my emails to the teams & FOTA.

Many of the teams only have comment boxes, emails are hidden. Here are the ones I found, the first one is FOTA

info@teamsassociation.org
media@mclaren.com
feedback@redbullf1.com
customercare@ferrari.com
claire.williams@williamsf1.com
enquiries@mercedes-gp.com
pr@teamlotus.co.uk
pressoffice@lotusrenaultgp.com

I'll probably phone the press office at a couple of teams to ask for their comments on the situation, and also for their sponsors views.