Mercedes GP 2011

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes GP 2011

According to scarbs the AMG involvement is both marketing and technical.

Further details will be forthcoming tommorow.
More could have been done.
David Purley

FrukostScones

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Low tech AMG tanks?

Have you not seen the all electric SLS?
I must admit that I don't like the AMG brand. Because AMG is just a brand. AMG enigineers are "just" a special team of Mercedes-Benz "Sportscars" engineers. AMG cars are build on the normal assembly line (at least the E55 E 63).
I highly doubt that the SLS e-Cell is more than an eco-halo-fig-leaf and I doubt that is mainly build by AMG engineers.

I don't know how those Merc-engineers could help the F1 team. We have seen how that worked for BMW.
Let's not forget that Mercedes HPE is ex-Illien/Morgan Company and the guy who designed the Merc-V8 was hired from Cosworth as far as I remember.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Does all that really matter?

Since when in this work was anyone born Mercedes-Benz? People have choices, and if the cossie guy had an offer from merc and designed it while employed at merc, then it is a merc right?

Hell McLaren snipe staff from Ferrari and vice versa, people can choose who they work for.

As for the sls e cell. Who else at this end of the Market can claim to have this? It's out in 6 months, not even Porsche or the mighty VW group can say they have something imminent.

The mercedes AMG f1 platform was a logical step, and one that wa discussed earlier in this thread by myself and a couple of others. It is the sporting arm of mercedes and therefore has more relevance to f1 as f1 has to it.
David Purley

Tim.Wright

Norbert Haug wrote:Our new team name fuses the proud traditions of AMG and the Mercedes-Benz Silver Arrows at the pinnacle of motorsport,"

"These three letters are synonymous with high technology, sporting performance and excitement and this step is a further strong sign of the strategic commitment Mercedes-Benz has made to Formula 1. Sixteen of the 24 drivers on the grid at the season's final Grand Prix in Brazil have, or have had, a connection to Mercedes-Benz.
I'm not anti-OEM teas as a rule, but god I hate reading this crap.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Tim.Wright wrote:
Norbert Haug wrote:Our new team name fuses the proud traditions of AMG and the Mercedes-Benz Silver Arrows at the pinnacle of motorsport,"

"These three letters are synonymous with high technology, sporting performance and excitement and this step is a further strong sign of the strategic commitment Mercedes-Benz has made to Formula 1. Sixteen of the 24 drivers on the grid at the season's final Grand Prix in Brazil have, or have had, a connection to Mercedes-Benz.
I'm not anti-OEM teas as a rule, but god I hate reading this crap.

Tim
That is just total markeyting BS.

Id recon that the drivers that havnt had a connection are;

Senna, Buemi, Alguersauri, Kobiyashai, Perez, Massa, D'Ambrosio, Riccardo

munudeges
munudeges

This is merely Mercedes paving the way for the Mercedes name to eventually be removed from the team altogether. I believe this was discussed by one or two in the mists of time some time ago.

raymondu999

Isnt AMG a part of Mercedes?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Yes ray, AMG is mercedes sporting arm. Wholly owned and exclusively mercedes.

If anything, this is mercedes going deeper into f1. Although I wait to see what happens with the RRA. As apparently ferrari are still committed to it, but want to see how it implemented and wether transgressions are punished.
All hinges on what red bull decide, because if they decide to ignore RRA then ferrari have no other choice but to follow to be competitive.
The ramifications on mercedes means they will no doubt have to increase spend in a bid to win, something that won't happen easily.
David Purley

dren

munudeges wrote:This is merely Mercedes paving the way for the Mercedes name to eventually be removed from the team altogether. I believe this was discussed by one or two in the mists of time some time ago.
I think it's marketing. I have no idea why Mercedes would put its own performance division's name on the car as a means to drop Mercedes from it. Will they be called Team AMG soon?
Honda!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

They are intertwined dren.

You canny have AMG without mercedes.
David Purley

bhall
bhall

That AMG logo is worth at least 2 tenths. Minimum.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

bhallg2k wrote:That AMG logo is worth at least 2 tenths. Minimum.
Cmon! Those stripes //// flex!!

I reckon 0.5 easy!
David Purley

munudeges
munudeges

I know how many would dearly like to put a positive spin on this, but you can never underestimate what is in a name change behind the scenes. The subtle switching of BMW and Williams around is one such example that hid a multitude of issues. It makes no sense for Mercedes to suddenly put AMG in the name when they sell, what, all of a handful of cars in a year? They supposedly got into Formula 1 to sell the Mercedes name. Diluting it all with three parts split between Mercedes, AMG and Petronas just sounds plain silly and will do all the good for AMG that the Jaguar name did for that team.

This is a staged renaming of the team. It's the first real outward sign of the beginning of the end.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Seg I can't help feel you missed the point, I think. Here's why:

AMG sells around 30,000 cars annually possibly more.
They are hugely profitable too.
They are also mercedes sporting arm.

This is a marketing move based on the above.

Also regards the name. Red bull must be in dire straights as they're red bull Renault sponsored by infinity!
Vodafone McLaren Mercedes anyone?

They're all at it...

And mercedes are still in f1... The name gives it away...mercedes AMG.
David Purley

raymondu999

If anything I'd say Mercedes AMG is a lot "closer" to F1 than Mercedes ever is/will be. Slightly off topic, but where does Brabus fit in the Mercedes/AMG family?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法