Flexible wings 2011

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Flexible wings 2011

fair enough ,my thinking is you needed to be a bit of a cheeky and ..say inventive ..person in those days and I´m pretty sure the Herbie Blashs and Charlie whitings have seen it all ...he may be not qualified for anything but sure he has eyes and the pictures are floating around for a long time now .it´s not like you need to figure out for yourself whats going on ..I bet he could talk with Scarbs in a random chat about it and amass enough information in very short time to come up with more sophisticated testing proceedures.Newey is really pulling them around with a rope attached to their nose. ...

JohnsonsEvilTwin

marcush. wrote:I bet he could talk with Scarbs in a random chat about it and amass enough information in very short time to come up with more sophisticated testing proceedures.
The question is why Marcush.

Why is nothing being done. If the FIA came out and gave a valid reason, then fair enough...let the flexing wing war begin/continue.
More could have been done.
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

@ JET and marcush;

Machiavelli walks again, Whiting was given a position which he knows himself he's not xactly qualified for, by asking for xternal help with the tests, he would more or less admit that he's been taken for a ride and we can't have that, can we now?

The same thing with the EBD, this is what he said at Barcelona, according to grandprix.com;

"Cold" and "hot" blown diffusers therefore became the buzz terms of the opening day in Barcelona, with the FIA's technical chief Charlie Whiting explaining: "Cold blowing is just cutting spark and fuel and keeping the throttle open; hot blowing, as I understand it, is introducing fuel, lighting the fuel but retarding the ignition."

Didn't xactly convey the most affirmative of impressions, did it?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.
marcush.

who would be silly enough not to look for expertise outside your own small world...
maybe you are right exp but sure the question is why have FIA decided to publicly state the RB doings are legal...there is considerable spice in this and as hinted before the powers in charge want something entirely different ..this war is NOT about flexy wings it´s something to do with Bernie , Jean Concorde BIGMONEY methinks...unfortunatelly the EBD case is stirring up unwanted mud (Bernie´s fireworks?)and seemingly the teams have no handle on Kolles...politics galore...no wonder Whiting is raising his hands as quickly as he did...

xpensive
xpensive

marcush. wrote:who would be silly enough not to look for expertise outside your own small world...
O'boy marcush, you can only do that if it doesn't reflect badly on yourself, such as you don't know how to do your job...

marcush.
marcush.

xpensive wrote:
marcush. wrote:who would be silly enough not to look for expertise outside your own small world...
O'boy marcush, you can only do that if it doesn't reflect badly on yourself, such as you don't know how to do your job...
I had that discussion not long ago with my boss ..our near perfect research and development department was unable to reproduce a failure mode found in the field with our customer.As the failure was reappearing after some bandaid modification (the guys not being able to reproduce the problem in the lab)and he flatly refused to ask some outside competence for help ...preferring to face the customer empty handed...I don´t think a very professional approach for a mechanic,engineer or a dr ...and it does reflect badly on yourself to shrug off something as not solvable when it clearly is.

xpensive
xpensive

There's an xpression in the area in Sweden where I grew up, which goes something like this; "Creep and crawl as long as your arse is moving." I think your boss's reaction is kinda typical for that concept, it takes a man to throw his hands in the air.

Believe me marcush, I've met quite a few of that kind.

HampusA

Could you say that in swedish?
The truth will come out...

xpensive
xpensive

A strange request, but here you go; "Kryp så länge rumpa rör sig!"

marcush.
marcush.

I cannot stand this sort of mediocracy I prefer a loud burst of emotions unleashed in my direction be it calling me an asshole or someone without a clue and then go on and get the job done...

mep

I have to agree with expensive.
It is very stupid if Whiting asks somebody like Scarbs for help because he would blame himself very much by this. Imagine this a engineer is asking a journalist how to do his work.
I also have to agree with xpensive that F1 is a machiavelli system. Guys like Whiting or Mosley got their possitions to support Eccelstone. Those guys really don't care if some wings flex or not. Their games are on a much higher level. Eccelstone doesn't even watch the complete races. Their game is about power and money. Maybe there is some deal with Horner to support the new Concort agreement. Thats the way Eccelstones system works.

marcush.
marcush.

Well I did not propose Charlie to ask Scarbs for advice..but surely it would be very easy for him to get some input for starting a more thorrough investigation into the theme.
At this time the FIA looks stupid and Charlie does by handing out those statements.
But of course everyone has understood now that there will be no further action triggered by the FIA and in consequence all teams need to play catchup until the important things of F1 are sorted and a rule will be introduced to prevent the flex.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

"Those guys really don't care if some wings flex or not."

Could that be because they know that very few competitors or fans care either?

These guys are all successful managers who worked their way up from the early days of F1. They have all earned their positions. Based on the money everyone is making and the fan base, I would say they have made few mistakes.

Nobody is on top of all aspects of this sport anymore, no reason to expect Whiting to be. If he was that knowledgeable he would take the more lucrative position like tech director or some with a team.

Brian

xpensive
xpensive

hardingfv32 wrote: ...
Nobody is on top of all aspects of this sport anymore, no reason to expect Whiting to be. If he was that knowledgeable he would take the more lucrative position like tech director or some with a team.

Brian
That was most certainly not the most impressive analysis I have ever read in a thread on this forum.

marcush.
marcush.

My view is Whiting is disgracing himself with his naive standing as this is really a situation out of control.The Fia has made several attempts to restrain the competitors from building flexy bodywork but obviously has now officially given up on the subject, admitting defeat.
Looking back into regulation history ...driver aids ,traction control,use of materials..It seems to be the first time that we hear them saying it´s ok as it is and no further activity is necessary.With all the things they banned it was accepted for a limited time but it was made clear at a very early stage that this door will be closed soon.That´s the surprise to me.