Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
forty-two

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

I am surprised that JB's "Pitlane Incident" has not been discussed more, especially after the RBR mechanic guy said he thought they were "deliberately cheating". What's anyone else's take on the matter?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

If that was the view of the team then they would have protested. That mechanic looked quite foolish shooting his mouth off like that, quite strange...

Since it didn't really benefit Jenson I don't think any penalties are required. If there's something in the regs then maybe a fine is due.

Nothing else to discuss really, everyone seems to be laughing it off in the papers this morning, Red Bull included.

Hangaku

I personally believe that what the RBR mechanic said on the Red Button, is a perfect indication of how RedBull think of themselves. They expect to win, and if they don't then someone else must be cheating! The spoilt child, that didn't have everything his own way.

The mechanic hadn't been briefed on what to say, and so he said what all the garage crew at RedBull were obviously thinking. Talk about paranoid - do they really think such a ridiculous tactic was orchestrated mid-race? IMHO, this is an attitude that most likely comes from the top, and spreads throughout the team.

I agree with what Mark said in the drivers press conference after the race - this was a good day for racing - it makes attitudes change.
Yer.

Richard
Richard

Why do so many take these off the cuff remarks so seriously? People complain that the teams are too corporate and show no personality, then as soon as someone says something non-corporate in the heat of the moment they get accused of immaturity & paranoia etc.

Given how many of these teams are said to be so immature & paranoid, it's a wonder they manage to even get to the track with their pants on the right way around.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Did you see it? He didn't deliver it with even a hint that it was a joke, it was incredibly serious and really caught Jake/DC out...

If it was a joke it was a bad one.

Hangaku

richard_leeds wrote:Why do so many take these off the cuff remarks so seriously? People complain that the teams are too corporate and show no personality, then as soon as someone says something non-corporate in the heat of the moment they get accused of immaturity & paranoia etc.

Given how many of these teams are said to be so immature & paranoid, it's a wonder they manage to even get to the track with their pants on the right way around.
You're confusing teams and drivers. I believe the biggest complaint is that drivers are like corporate robots. And I agree. In the large part though, they are representing themselves as a driver.

In this situation though, it's a person being a spokesman for a team. How do you think that looks? Do you think RedBull will pat him on the back, and say "good job Bob"? I don't think so. Perception is 9/10 of the law!
Yer.

Richard
Richard

OK lets put it this way, there will be a lot of messages flying around during a race weekend, some "on message" and some "off message". It's inevitable. The key is for the viewer to not get distracted by a few off message moments, and for the participants to not put the more hot-headed team members in front of the media.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

djos wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: What did you make of Vettels crazy gesture then Andrew?
Which gesture? After the race?
The "crazy" finger gesture after Vettel retired trying to drive his car thru Webber's while Webber was leading the race at Turkey last year.
Oh that one. I thought it was something new. I wonder why it needs to be dragged back up here...? Odd.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Tamburello
Tamburello

beelsebob wrote:
Tumbarello wrote:
marcush. wrote:but he did not win the start did he? so why the hell did they NOT switch to an agressive pit strategy right on the spot?
Vettel had enough tyres to do this ...and pit signalling with boards is maybe outdated but sure possible even for RedBull and the playstation boy.... :wtf:

KERS and strategy ..my words: they will not win this championship.
The issue was not the start necessarily. He had overtaken both Button and Hamilton by the first round of pit stops so all he had to do was cover their strategy to stay in front of them. I think they must have got worried about Rosberg and Massa and were trying to cover the latter whilst trying to get ahead of the former on strategy??
Pardon? Were you watching a different race? In the race I was watching, Vettel overtook Button only because Button noobed up his pit stop.
He was behind Hamilton and Button by the first corner and then ahead of them by the first pitstop, hence "he had overtaken Button and Hamilton by the first found of pitstops". I didn't say he overtook both out on track. And besides, how he got ahead, i.e. by overtaking or on pitstop efficiency, is hardly the central issue of my post.

Tamburello
Tamburello

beelsebob wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I think in hindsight, Rosberg had the best strategy. His 1st stop was placed in the correct lap for a good 3-stopper, whereas the others seemed to have 1st stints that were too long and 2nd stints that were too short
I'm not convinced by this – I think the long first stop was what allowed Hamilton to attack at the end of the race. Suppose his stops had been more evenly spread – he would not have been able to extend the lead in the second and third stints, and he would not have been able to close Vettel down in the last one... Oddly, having his tyres fall off the cliff and Massa overtake him may have been what won him the race.
Yes, I agree with this. And it was probably a big factor in why Rosberg was slow at the end as his last stint tyres were older than Button and Hamilton's.

raymondu999

In hindsight he was ahead (by pit/track overtake) on both McLs. In hindsight, he should have covered off the two McLs. Would've been a simple "I'll mirror and do what you do" kind of thing. At worst each pitstop would probably be a lap later than the earlier McLaren, which would equate to the McL that pits on the next lap anyways.
Tumbarello wrote:Yes, I agree with this. And it was probably a big factor in why Rosberg was slow at the end as his last stint tyres were older than Button and Hamilton's.
I was under the impression that Rosberg had to do a lot of fuel management and that was why he was slow. Besides, Nico's stops were all exactly the same as the McLarens (give or take a lap) except for the earlier 1st stop
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Tamburello
Tamburello

raymondu999 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Pardon? Were you watching a different race? In the race I was watching, Vettel overtook Button only because Button noobed up his pit stop.
Regardless of the reason that Vettel got past, the end result was he got past, and after the 1st round of stops, Vettel was ahead of the MacMercs; what Tumbarello is saying (I believe) is that they should have just mirrored the McLarens' strategy, but it seemed like they were afraid Rosberg and Massa would 2 stop, and the fresher tyres might not be enough to make up the 18 or so seconds lost in the stops
Yes, this is essentially what I was trying to say with one amendment. I think it was clear that Rosberg was going to be on a three stopper but given his pace, Red Bull probably thought that the only way to get ahead of him was to two stop themselves, which would also cover Massa. Otherwise, why wouldn't they just mimic McLaren's strategy if they were who you were truly racing and you had track position?!

Tamburello
Tamburello

raymondu999 wrote:In hindsight he was ahead (by pit/track overtake) on both McLs. In hindsight, he should have covered off the two McLs. Would've been a simple "I'll mirror and do what you do" kind of thing. At worst each pitstop would probably be a lap later than the earlier McLaren, which would equate to the McL that pits on the next lap anyways.
He didn't need hindsight to know he was ahead by the first stint. He simply was ahead! He has track position and can control the race, at least so far as the Maccas were concerned. He could even come in a lap earlier. I don't see why not.

Tumbarello wrote:Yes, I agree with this. And it was probably a big factor in why Rosberg was slow at the end as his last stint tyres were older than Button and Hamilton's.
I was under the impression that Rosberg had to do a lot of fuel management and that was why he was slow. Besides, Nico's stops were all exactly the same as the McLarens (give or take a lap) except for the earlier 1st stop[/quote]

Okay. I assumed his other stops were similarly earlier than the rivals. I wasn't paying that much attention to Rosberg during the race.

spadeflush

Does anyone know where to find data regarding fastest lap times of every driver at the Chinese Grand Prix?
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

komninosm
komninosm

Tumbarello wrote:Okay. I assumed his other stops were similarly earlier than the rivals. I wasn't paying that much attention to Rosberg during the race.
No, his other pit stops were similar to McLaren. In Greek TV they showed a team radio message that said fuel situation very critical. Any info on that guys?