Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
komninosm
komninosm

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

forty-two wrote:I am surprised that JB's "Pitlane Incident" has not been discussed more, especially after the RBR mechanic guy said he thought they were "deliberately cheating". What's anyone else's take on the matter?
Me too. I think it's because people don't hate Button (like they do Hamilton or Vettel) and it was such a monumental brain fart they feel sorry for the guy. What did Button say about it? Was he asked by reporters? That would be a fun statement. ^.^

Also it doesn't matter if his breach of the rules didn't help him but hinder him. It's still a breach of the rules and he hindered Vettel by 1 or 2 seconds. It could have cost Vettel, made him not pass Hamilton. But it didn't so they didn't want to (officially) complain and seem like poor sports. But it was a breach of the rules, I'm sure, obstructing opponents team or something. But the fact that Button was ahead of Hamilton before and after the incident showed that it was not a case of a team-mate helping a team-mate. Simply a brain-fart error. Only Button could get away with that I think >.<

Giblet
Giblet

I totally agree.

I think I mentioned it before, but consider safety, and how much respect these drivers have for the guys who work on the cars they trust _their_ lives to. Pulling into a pitbox full of guys that you know might get run over is not something any Grand Prix driver would ever do on purpose.

Punishment worthy? I don't think so. At the very worst, a suspended sentence that if it ever happened again, boom goes the dynamite.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Tamburello
Tamburello

komninosm wrote:
Tumbarello wrote:Okay. I assumed his other stops were similarly earlier than the rivals. I wasn't paying that much attention to Rosberg during the race.
No, his other pit stops were similar to McLaren. In Greek TV they showed a team radio message that said fuel situation very critical. Any info on that guys?
Yes, the fuel call was heard everywhere and it's what raymondu was referring to. Read through the thread, I think it was discussed at some length.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

komninosm wrote:
forty-two wrote:I am surprised that JB's "Pitlane Incident" has not been discussed more, especially after the RBR mechanic guy said he thought they were "deliberately cheating". What's anyone else's take on the matter?
Me too. I think it's because people don't hate Button (like they do Hamilton or Vettel) and it was such a monumental brain fart they feel sorry for the guy. What did Button say about it? Was he asked by reporters? That would be a fun statement.
I don't think it is that at all. Believe me, plenty people dislike Button on some other sites. Me, I can take him or leave him.

There was no harm done so no foul. Button was the one who lost out in the pitstop as he was the only one that lost any time.

The embarrasment alone and the probable michael extraction currently taking place within McLaren is punishment enough.

Besides, I don't think any of the other drivers who have done this have been punished have they?
Last edited by andrew on 18 Apr 2011, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

andrew
andrew

Diesel wrote:God, all you seem do is complain Andrew...
Isn't that a complaint there? #-o

I just say things how I see them.

piast9
piast9

spadeflush wrote:Does anyone know where to find data regarding fastest lap times of every driver at the Chinese Grand Prix?
In the FIA mediacentre:
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1 ... _page.aspx

Giblet
Giblet

Andrew earlier we got sidetracked on a comment I made during the race regarding that laser spot and high def.

You mentioned you saw the spot as well, is that a temperature sensor, or something else for motion?

Usually they check the temps with a hand held sensor as soon as they take the tires off.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

andrew
andrew

Giblet - when I first saw it I thought it was a glitch in the TV signal!

I remember we used to see a Bridgestone rep. or a team mechanic prodding the tyres with the temperature probe. Perhaps Pirelli are wanting to know the tyre temperatures as soon as they come off the car, rather than wait for 30 seconds of heat loss. The safest way to do this would be with an infra red temperature sensor.

It may have been one of these:

I'm not sure how a motion sensor would be of use (there is so much movement in a pitstop and there was only one red dot it seemed) and it was certainly trained on the tyre.

kakogohrena
kakogohrena

forty-two

Giblet wrote:Andrew earlier we got sidetracked on a comment I made during the race regarding that laser spot and high def.

You mentioned you saw the spot as well, is that a temperature sensor, or something else for motion?

Usually they check the temps with a hand held sensor as soon as they take the tires off.

Ooh, I must have missed that. Can you remember which pitstop it was or roughly which lap it happened on?

I'd be interested to see it if you can.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

andrew
andrew

forty-two wrote:
Giblet wrote:Andrew earlier we got sidetracked on a comment I made during the race regarding that laser spot and high def.

Ooh, I must have missed that. Can you remember which pitstop it was or roughly which lap it happened on?

I think it was a McLaren stop. Give me 10 minutes and I'll find it on the tape.

forty-two

andrew wrote:
forty-two wrote:

I think it was a McLaren stop. Give me 10 minutes and I'll find it on the tape.
Cheers Andrew!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

andrew
andrew

Actually it was on Webbers fisrt pit stop (I obviously have the same visual impairment as Button). It's on the front right near the top of the tyre, below the wrist strap on the mechnics glove.

It's actually on the new tyre rather than the old trye so I am wondering if it is Pirelli or Red Bull just keeping track of the temperature of the tyres as they go on the car.

Giblet
Giblet

If it was infrared though we wouldn't have seen the dot, unless it just has a basic pen laser in it to get an accurate spot.

piast9
piast9

That's what I think too. That there's a IR temperature meter but with built in laser to mark the spot at which the temperature is measured.