Turkish GP 2011 - Istanbul

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: Turkish GP 2011 - Istanbul

I would think T8 in particular would wreak more havoc on the front right than the other 3 tyres
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr Alcatraz

FWIW first anti-clockwise track of the season! :| :-"
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

raymondu999

maybe those with stronger left neck muscles will be quicker? :P I mean, if they're gonna be doing 3/4 stoppers, they'll have more fresh tyres than what they had last year - and that would subsequently mean quicker through T8 and they'll need to have stronger necks
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

Last edited by Giblet on 20 Apr 2011, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: There is no secret, warning issued.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

nipo
nipo

Somehow I really don't like the combination T9-T10... A long straight follows them and whatever speed advantage you gain from T8 (e.g. good aero) and possibly T9 (e.g. good braking stability / low-speed grip) is lost because if you catch the car in front on the inside at T9 you are on the outside of T10 and you lose position going into the straight, allowing the defender to make up for a slight mistake, for example. I can't exactly recall but I think in the past years this has caused some pretty boring stalemates.

Hopefully DRS will really offer some help there.

I think chicanes before and after long straights harm the show quite a lot, in general. They should make it a left-right-left to compensate, if they had to have more than one corner there. Otherwise you just need to be LOADS faster on the straight to overtake.

Mandrake
Mandrake

n smikle wrote:I think I need to change my avatar or something, it's attracting unwanted attention. Diesel what is your secret?
Yep, you should! That Lewis Hamilton image is like a red towel for a bull ;)

On Topic:

Why do you think T8 will have such a massive effect on the tires? We thought that T1 in China would kill the left front, but all we saw was trouble on the rear.
Surely it will put more pressure onto the right front tire than a slower corner, but I doubt it'll be significant.

I think that race will be as close as China, with McLaren almost on par with the RedBulls and MGP + Ferrari + Renault not too far behind. The race winner will be the one getting the tire calls right, with slight advantages for RedBull due to being kinder to the tires.

raymondu999

T1 China is a left front graining monster, not quite wear. But Turkey T8 is much more severe on the right front than China T1 is on the left front. Didn't we see in 2008 or somesuch race some cars even doing 3/4 stops? I seem to remember Hamilton did a 3-stop despite being in a frontrunning position.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

n smikle wrote: WOW!!! SPICY!! Sizzling!!

I have to quote this as evidence!

I say the word "rubbish" and I get warnings from the Mod(s)! But Just lookie here!!

I think I need to change my avatar or something, it's attracting unwanted attention. Diesel what is your secret?
More than likely no one has reported it or ask that it is removed. I guess a lot of it comes down to the context it was used in.

siskue2005

Question is where will they put the DRS zone at Turkey ?
will it be after Turn 10 or turn 11 ?

raymondu999

There hasn't been any announcement AFAIK
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

So, we now know that Ferrari are planning rear suspension and front (flexi) wing updates for Turkey. Should we document what each of the teams are (rumored to be) bringing here, or is this better left to the cars threads?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Alot of choices for the DRS zone, lots of choices...

It could be on the pit straight. Turn 1+2 has always been a good overtaking zone, DRS could make it too easy...

Between Turn 8 & 9, this I think could work really well. The 'turbulent air effect' is going to most pronounced through turn 8, so the small straight after is a good place for a DRS boost for the attacking car. This is more likely to bring the cars close together for the following straights, rather than actually cause an overtake - which I think is a good thing.

Between Turn 11 & 12, probably the most obvious choice, but again IMO there is issue with overtaking in this zone. Turn 11 isn't really a corner in F1, so cars start slip-streaming from Turn 9.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

DRS will probably be on the put straight with the beam just after turn 11, or probably on the run out of 10 (Faux Rouge) with the beam being at the exit of turn 9.

Tamburello
Tamburello

Beam should be on exit of 9 and activation zone approaching the braking for 12.

raymondu999

Activation zone approaching braking zone? :s
失败者找理由,成功者找方法