A paperboard Red Bull RB7

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
timbo
timbo

Re: A paperboard Red Bull RB7

Hey, first time in this thread -- it is great! Actually, from looking on your pictures I think you can gain a great deal of knowledge on F1 car packaging. =D>
PaulB wrote:Now to my question. This is (more or less) a F1 forum. Are there some interested parties for an R18 construction report? If you want to see that, write a positive comment here and I'll start up the report in a few days.
Sure! Would be great to see that as well!

beelsebob
beelsebob

Holy cow, how did I not notice this thread before?

That's some truely awesome work on the modeling there – why have you not been applying to F1 teams to make models for their wind tunnels!

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

I for one would be fascinated to see your LMP1 car's progress.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

This thread lived most of its life in the Off Topic section, unfortunately.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Carbon
Carbon

PaulB, I have no idea how you do it, or where you find your patience. Amazing work, my hat is off to you and your mad skills. How many hours do you estimate you have invested in this project? Are you a pattern maker/engineer by trade, or where did you develop such ability?

Very well done, I look forward to seeing many more posts =D>

ringo

Paul you are one crazy mofo. The details are obsessive to say the least. =D>
For Sure!!

reichsmarshal24
reichsmarshal24

Hi Paul,

I was just wondering where did you get the technical drawings and schematics to build this model? Did yo make them on your own?

gridwalker
gridwalker

Wow ... Just WOW ... I am dyspraxic (a hand/eye coordination disorder) so this kind of thing is impossible for me and I am simply in awe of the attention to detail.

Last night, I was visiting a friend who makes props for Star Trek conventions : we were chatting and he had been going on in some detail about his projects, so he apologised for being so obsessive about details ... after he said that, I had to show him this thread, just to illustrate that he has a LONG way to go before he reaches your level of attentiveness ;)

An excellent job - I hope that your next project thread lives in a forum area where we can all enjoy it from the outset!
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

machin

PaulB wrote:Are there some interested parties for an R18 construction report? If you want to see that, write a positive comment here and I'll start up the report in a few days.

Yes! This is fantastic... I think you will get a lot of interest in an R18 model build too!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

PaulB

allstaruk08 wrote:this model inspired me to make a model of my drawings of my F1 car would look like. its no where near as awesome as this but im happy with it for my first go at making a model, go have a look its in the aero section :D
Yeah, I took a look at it. Not that bad. It's difficult to begin with such a hobby. Take a look at the link below. That's the third car I've built (the first (RB1) and the second one (MP4/20) didn't exist anymore - I think I've burned them :D ) BAR003
beelsebob wrote:Holy cow, how did I not notice this thread before?

That's some truely awesome work on the modeling there – why have you not been applying to F1 teams to make models for their wind tunnels!
Thanks. When the car is finished, I'll send pictures with a few words of me to the teams. We'll see what they're saying. I'm already in contact with a man who works at RB...
Carbon wrote:PaulB, I have no idea how you do it, or where you find your patience. Amazing work, my hat is off to you and your mad skills. How many hours do you estimate you have invested in this project? Are you a pattern maker/engineer by trade, or where did you develop such ability?

Very well done, I look forward to seeing many more posts =D>
There are some moments, I like to throw the car through the window - but over the years I've learnt to be very pacient and controlled if something didn't and didn't work. Btw to your question, I'm a student in mechanical engineering. That should answer the most questions. :wink:
reichsmarshal24 wrote:Hi Paul,

I was just wondering where did you get the technical drawings and schematics to build this model? Did yo make them on your own?
Hi, for sure I do the most drawings by myself. I take also a lot of informaton out of the FIA technical regulations.
gridwalker wrote:Last night, I was visiting a friend who makes props for Star Trek conventions : we were chatting and he had been going on in some detail about his projects, so he apologised for being so obsessive about details ... after he said that, I had to show him this thread, just to illustrate that he has a LONG way to go before he reaches your level of attentiveness ;)
Hi! I began building models from scratch in (about) 2002. Before that I've building paper models for five more years. So you can see, It took me over 14 years to get this standard of detailing - so, tell your friend not to despair of that. :wink:

I see, there will be a few people looking at my next projekt, so I'll start the construction report soon.

Regards Paul
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

Shrieker

Looking very much forward to your next project ! And can't wait to see the finished RB7 !!!
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

finishline
finishline

Wish I'd seen this thread earlier, good luck with the Audi.

IchII3D

Jesus christ that is mind blowing, what the hell do you do for a living? Your extremely talented.

PaulB

Shrieker wrote:Looking very much forward to your next project ! And can't wait to see the finished RB7 !!!
I expect RB7 will be finished in early February.
IchII3D wrote:Jesus christ that is mind blowing, what the hell do you do for a living? Your extremely talented.
My living is very normal. As the life of a 22 year young student is. Learning, party, a strange hobby and passion for motorsport. :D
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

IchII3D

You show an exceptional ability to replicate something, on first glance everything looks very well proportioned and to scale. Not to mention the detail, its not something someone learns but more a gift or way of seeing things. I appreciate this so much because I do a similar thing for my work, I make the environment for games. Often taking objects and replicating them or making something new.

Did you mention in this thread what sort of materials you are using and possible methods, its really inspiring and wouldn't mind giving it a go myself :P

EDIT: I just checked out your website... *mind... blow....*