A paperboard Red Bull RB7

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
PaulB

Re: A paperboard Red Bull RB7

Hello Guys!

Next short engine- update. Crazy how i am, i detailed the inside of the cylinder- v. Later the complete airbox will cover it, and on the back side, the gearbox will destroy the view on this part of the engine...

Cheers,
Paul
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

Tozza Mazza

PaulB wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:Where do you get the technical drawings from? Have you scaled from pictures? Also the images in the F1 tech rules must be very useful too?
Yeah, the drawings in the technical regulations are very helpful. All the drawings I made by myself with help from the technical reglement and many pictures. They should be relatively accurate.
Hi Paul,
Brilliant work! Love what you're doing!
I'm sure your technical drawings would be very interesting to a lof of people, including myself! Would it be possible to publish them?
Thanks! Keep up the great work!

PaulB

Tozza Mazza wrote:
PaulB wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:Where do you get the technical drawings from? Have you scaled from pictures? Also the images in the F1 tech rules must be very useful too?
Yeah, the drawings in the technical regulations are very helpful. All the drawings I made by myself with help from the technical reglement and many pictures. They should be relatively accurate.
Hi Paul,
Brilliant work! Love what you're doing!
I'm sure your technical drawings would be very interesting to a lof of people, including myself! Would it be possible to publish them?
Thanks! Keep up the great work!
I don't think, that they are very interesting. They are only made for building a paperboard car. But surely i could post them, I will do it within the next update.

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

Dragonfly

I am impressed by your craftsmanship with paperboard. And, I presume, a lot of patience to put all things together.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Tozza Mazza

Thanks and good luck with the project!

even though it is only paper it is very accurate and a lot of research has been done. I'm sure the drawings are interesting, especially those of the innlternals.

Morteza

Fantastic job, Paul =D>
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PaulB

Hello Guys!

I will finish the RS27 maybe tomorrow. Only the oil pump and the ignition system are missing.

Ok, here are a few drawings, with a little description.

At first, a two-part a3 general drawing of the RB6. I generate it in may 2010 for building the RB6 - maybe you know that car, i canceled it, because I made too many mistakes in manufacturing. The drawing shows the car in it's presentation configuration with old RB5 front wing and top side lying exhausts. I draw this with help of the FIA technical regulations (you could download them at http://www.fia.com, in regulations block) and a few pictures - and surely a little bit of know-how.

Here you could see the gearbox of the RB6 with suggested diffuser and beam wing in 1:10. At the rear you could see clearly the rear light housing. Around the gearbox there are a few hand adumbrations. At the right middle, you could see the front bulkhead of the engine without dimensioning. In manufacturing such a car, i draw about 800 to 1000 such pictures, maybe more. You have to remember, that such a car has around 3500 parts - plus minus a few hundret.

That's the first drawing, i made for the RB7. It shows the single monocoque in 1:10th scale. That drawing is the most important of the car, because, later everything will addicted to the monocoque. If there is a mistake somwhere in this drawing, like at my RB6, the whole car is unserviceable. I did that drawings at the beginning of April 2011.

On this picture, i calculated the cross section of the engine - with help of that of Renault publiced picture of the RS27-2008 (I think, maybe 2009). Around that, you could see again some smalll drawings and calculations.

At the end, a typical working sheet of me. It's full of small drawings of individual phasouted parts. Certainly there is nothing conforming to any drawing standard, all these sheets I throw away after a day.

That's it, if somebody has a question to my method of operating, please ask.
And if somebody want such a drawing, I surely can send it to him.

Cheers
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

PaulB

Hello Guys!

Today, i mounted the Renault V8 engine. I'm not very satisfied with the engine mounting points. But there are no pictures of them, so nobody can say something bad about them.

The watercooler is also connected to the RS27. Of the oil-circuit, there are no usefull pictures of the attachment of the engine. I will improvise them...
Der Wasserkühler wurde schon am Motor angeschlossen. Vom Ölkreislauf, dessen

The mounting of the Renault motor is not 100% original. To get an adequate stability, I had to do the fixing with metall wire. On the gold foil, the glue wouldn't be enough strong to give the engine the needful hold. But I add that fixing that low, that you couldn't see it anymore.

At the end, a short overall view of the car. At the moment, it has a mass of 197g. You have to remeber, it's out of paper, glue and a little bis of varnish.

That's it for the moment. Thanks for viewing!
Cheers Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

ajdavison2

Can't tell you how impressed I am by this, I honestly 100% believe you could make a lot of money out of this, making up templates for cars, selling the kits etc etc. Really honestly fantastic work. Another note, you said you made a mess of the RB6, you my friend are far to harsh on yourself! It was a brilliant piece of work, keep it up and keep posting updates! Thoroughly enjoy looking through this thread! Excellent work!

rayden

i am absolutely flabbergasted by this.
the amount of skill and dedication you obviously possess is tremendous, and i feel genuinely privileged to have stumbled upon this thread.
thank you sir.
brilliant photos. I am spreading the word.

Deany_t

wow thats very impressive will definitely follow this.

strad

I've been following for a while now and I must say that I am more impressed with each installment. =D> =D>
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PaulB

Hello guys!

At first, I have to say that I'm very happy, that so many people like my work! Thanks!

At the moment I’m working at the gearbox housing. It took me several hours to get the approximately dimensions and the right shape. The rear crash sructure is also at work.

The gearbox and the rear crash structure will form the rear of the RB7.

Cheers
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

PaulB

Hello guys!

The gearbox housing is finished. Now I'll start to detailing the gearbox with suspension details, oil and current lines, KERS battery, ect...
How you could see, I've looked very acurate at the direction of the carbon fibre structure at the rear end. I need that to get enought stability. :wink:

Also the front suspension is at work. The top wishbone is already finished. And gain you could see, that I watched very acurate at the direction of the carbon fibere structure.

At the End a short overall view:

thanks for watching,

Cheers Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

ajdavison2

Out of curiosity, what are you using for the carbon? just normal carbon fibre vinyl?