A paperboard Red Bull RB7

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Re: A paperboard Red Bull RB7

I assume the suspension points are permenant? Wont that make fitting the bodywork towards the rear of the sidepods particularly difficult? Especially considering the infamous redbull supertight rear packaging?

bhall
bhall

This is easily one of the coolest things I've ever seen in my life. It's so good, I almost don't believe it.

spacer
spacer

absolutely amazing Paul =D>

PaulB

Helo Guys!

Today I ended up with the rear part of the RB7. Only the bodywork is missing.
ajdavison2 wrote:I assume the suspension points are permenant? Wont that make fitting the bodywork towards the rear of the sidepods particularly difficult? Especially considering the infamous redbull supertight rear packaging?
Sure, it will get more difficult, but I have to fit the suspension before, because
1. I've to connect the pull rods with the rocker arm,
2. the outer bodywork is fitted to the inner bodywork, and I can fit the inner bodywork not until I've mounted the suspension parts.
You see it's not that easy at all. :wink: (It's beeing meany, at RB there are hundrets of people fitting the car and I've to do everything by myself :lol: )

Okay, what's new? Not that much. The most nocieable thing is for sure the beam wing. But I've also covered the links of the upper wishbones with another flap, ther's a new oil tank at the gearbox, a return flow oil line from the gearbox, the rear light with it's line and a few other small details. Also the front suspension is getting well. The uprights are finised. But everything is delayed a little bit, because I've to readjust the right push rod.

An actuall picture:

That's it for the moment, thanks for watching,
Cheers,
Paul
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

PaulB

Hello guys!

The rear part is disregarding of the outer bodywork finished now.

Cockpit is also at work.
The shape of the seat.

Front suspension.

At the end, a failure.
When I laminated the inside of the monocoque out today in the morning, I was too less attentive and made a glue dot on the polished side pot - that hurts. #-o

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

PaulB

Hello guys!

A christmas report, before the party week starts. :lol: Short analysis, what's missing?
[list=
rear bodywork
steering wheel, seat and belts in the cockpit
antennas
brakes
engine cover
barge boards
wheels
rear wing
heat sields at the engine]
[/list]
Its not that much. With a little bit of luck and motivation, the car could be finished at the end of January. The manufacturing and fitting of the cockpit internals was very nerve-racking. I've let a few cries of rage. Not necessarily because of the small and complex parts, rather than the moutning in the very small cockpit. It seemed to be, that I've very skilled fingers, but that was too much. Anyhow, the most parts are fitted and the car has no enduring injuries (excet that damn glue dot :cry: ).
At first to the right hand side of the cockpit. Ther's the swith panel with the "auxiliary", the ignition and the fire extinguisher switch. Behind that, there are the FIA stickers. even though I don't make the car in a specified version or race, I've fitted the circuit layout of... ha, who guess right? beneath is the sticker for passing the acceptance procedure by the FIA. And at the bottom there is the insignia of the factory "Bradbourne Drive Milton Keynes UK".

At the left side, ther's the brake bias lever and the radio equipment.

For christmas celebration a few pictures of the whole car, to get you an imagination, how far it's to the finish line.

I've building models for a long time, but that car is so ingenious, so cleanly. Especially the finishing is very well. I'm very satisfied with that car to time.

It's amazing, that the nose is still holding that well. After hundrets of pit stops with nose changes by my curious colleagues (I think they try to test the mechanical static strenght of that connection :lol: ) the nose is like at the first day.

The rear is very cool. It's the first car, I've built with that carbon fibre textures. Although the texture is a little bit too chunky (the next one will be better), it looks amazing.

I've never done before such a felicitous radiator-engine-exhaust package. Sure it was an advantage, that RB covered the exhaust system with that carbon-fibre sheat. Otherwise it wouldn't be that "easy".

Yeah, that's it.

A nice christmas to everyone, stay following :wink:
christmas greetings
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

EAKMotorsports
EAKMotorsports

wow.
*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·` * EAK

PaulB

Hello guys!

A very successful model building year takes its end. Whether the improvement of my modeling skill as well as the outside effect. For example the article in F1 Racing or the approach of a thrilled man of Red Bull Racing. That makes me very proud (yeah, I know, self-praise stinks... but the most important thing is, that you're happy with yourself and I am that). Of course I want to say thanks to all my followers and with a happy new year!

to the update:
The brake discs are at work. The mounting bell is not finished yet.

Barge boards are fitted.

The raw scaffolding of the steering wheel.

The shoulder straps are almost finished.

The seat is finished, but I'm waiting for the blue textile straps for finishing the FIA straps for removing the seat. I'v omited the padding, because I didn't find a adequate material (okay, I did not search for one). But the carbon fibre texture got so well at this non developable shape, that it don't disturb me.

Three pictures with inserted seat.

That's it, thanks for watching and till next year!
Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

Richard
Richard

PaulB wrote: mounting in the very small cockpit
Hi Paul

Happy new year!

Have you thought of mounting the cockpit internals at the same time as you you build the tub? Then you could add the parts to a flat piece of board before you finally assemble the tub.

Richard

strad

Great Work Dude.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PaulB

Helllo Guys!
richard_leeds wrote:
PaulB wrote: mounting in the very small cockpit
Hi Paul

Happy new year!

Have you thought of mounting the cockpit internals at the same time as you you build the tub? Then you could add the parts to a flat piece of board before you finally assemble the tub.

Richard
Not really. The monocoque is built up of (I don't know it exactly anymore) about 5 layers of cardboard with a colourcard inside and outside. The first and most important thing is, that I get the exact shape of the monocoque out of that five layers of cardboard. That musst be extremely stiff (that I can mount the engine, nosecone and suspension elements without damaging the monocoque) and at that work, the shape mostly gets very dirty (that's the reason why I fit the colourcard at the end to avoid a pollution of them). So it's more or less impossible to do that work (the fitting of the internals) before.

To the update:
What do we notice at the first view? The wheel hubs are mounted, the radio-and telemetry antennas are fitted and the steering wheel is attached.

So, who'll like to test sitting?

For sure, the steering wheel is demountable like as it is at the big original.

As you can see on the picture, the steering wheel has a diameter of around 28mm (27,6). I thin the wheel itself consists out of more parts than the original (73 parts at 28x19mm). Stupidly I've had no more space for the last button on each side - so the driver couldn't drink something and has ylso no reverse gear (okay he has a gear, but no operation device :lol: )

Shortly to the wheel hubs. I've disclaimed a onto thread.

The rear covers were not that difficult as I've expected it. The shape is not 100% right and the opening for the lower wishbones are both too big. But I'm satisfied with the covers though, because they mostly disapear more or less under the suspension arms.

That's it for the moment, thanks for watching, till soon.
Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

strad

Can I get just a few ounces of the patience you must have?
Amazed every time I look. Thanks for all the updates.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PaulB

Hello guys!
strad wrote:Can I get just a few ounces of the patience you must have?
Amazed every time I look. Thanks for all the updates.
Yeah, it takes really a very great amount of time. If you've one hour to spend, it's not profitable. You've to spent almost one hour to bgeinn effectively.

Now, the list of missing parts gets smaller and smaller.
  • head protection (at work)
  • engine heat shields (at work)
  • rear wing (at work)
  • calipers (will be a difficult work)
  • upright covers
  • fire extinguisher operating system
  • engine cover
  • wheels
  • nuts

The front brake ducts are finished. Not perfectly but they're okay.

The head protection is at work.

The complete seat with belts.

After a few stopgoes, I made the seat no removable.

If there's someone who haven't seen a F1 seat from behind, what I don't hope ;) here is one:

That's it for the moment, thanks for watching.
Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

PaulB

Hello guys!

My RB7 is near to the finish line now. I estimate, that it will be finished in the first week of February. My new projekt is waiting at the kick-off point... It will be the Audi R18 TDI. Sadly I've to hear today, that Peugeot stopps his endurance programm immideately. Hopefully Toyota can challenge Audi a little bit this year.

Now to my question. This is (more or less) a F1 forum. Are there some interested parties for an R18 construction report? If you want to see that, write a positive comment here and I'll start up the report in a few days.

Best regards,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

this model inspired me to make a model of my drawings of my F1 car would look like. its no where near as awesome as this but im happy with it for my first go at making a model, go have a look its in the aero section :D