DRS in Monza/New top speed records?/Best place to sit

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Re: DRS in Monza/New top speed records?/Best place to sit

Regarding the long main plane, short flap combo (ala Merc, RBR) and long flap, short main plane combo (a la McL) James Allen (as per Richard's post) says now that McL's would, when in "df" position, give less drag - while in "drag reduction" mode, the RB would give less drag. Can anyone comment on this?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

jenkF1

raymondu999 wrote:Regarding the long main plane, short flap combo (ala Merc, RBR) and long flap, short main plane combo (a la McL) James Allen (as per Richard's post) says now that McL's would, when in "df" position, give less drag - while in "drag reduction" mode, the RB would give less drag. Can anyone comment on this?
i replied to this post in the DRS section

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Slightly off topic, but still about DRS, Autosport reports that it could be banned in Monaco.

raymondu999

I think they should just not use it in Monaco for the sake of it being Monaco - it's the one place where you really just want it to be an out-and-out flat-out driver circuit
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Caito
Caito

Toro Rosso like all teams but HRT , developed a special ultra low downforce rear wing for Monza . The wing remained double profiled with the upper profile retaining the central slot . On the contrary the endplates lost the gills , in a different approach to Canada where endplates kept the gilled configuration .
Come back 747, we miss you!!

Byronrhys

Expect Renault to be good in Italy, great traction, and great speed.

HampusA

I think Ferrari will do good aswell here. Downforce is less of a key here and the Ferrari is good on brakes and acceleration.
The truth will come out...

raymondu999

I think you mean traction rather than acceleration, no, Hampus?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

I honestly don't think anyone'll be able to touch McLaren at Monza, their design seems to be centred around having an incredibly low drag car that they can attach a barn (not just the door for them) to the back of... I expect the McLaren in low drag config to be blazing.

Tufty
Tufty

beelsebob wrote:I honestly don't think anyone'll be able to touch McLaren at Monza, their design seems to be centred around having an incredibly low drag car that they can attach a barn (not just the door for them) to the back of... I expect the McLaren in low drag config to be blazing.
China proved this much - limited downforce to maximise speed down the back straight, and they beat the [IMO] superior [though not by much] Red Bulls. Monza, Spa, Brazil should all be McLaren territory easily...
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars, thinking "where the hell is the ceiling?!"

HampusA

raymondu999 wrote:I think you mean traction rather than acceleration, no, Hampus?
Yea sorry ;) braking into corners and getting out of them they seemed to do very well last year at Monza.

raymondu999

Yes, Ferrari were phenomenal in terms of "slow corner" performance last year. But we also should remember that McLaren in the past have always been the mechanical kings (it was only in 2010 that they decided to forgo that by using that hideously stiff springing setup) and so we could have a fight on our hands there. Monaco should be massive.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

HampusA

raymondu999 wrote:Yes, Ferrari were phenomenal in terms of "slow corner" performance last year. But we also should remember that McLaren in the past have always been the mechanical kings (it was only in 2010 that they decided to forgo that by using that hideously stiff springing setup) and so we could have a fight on our hands there. Monaco should be massive.
True, to bad it wasn´t enough to get past a certain russian fellow in a car also notorious for the out-of-slow-corners traction, watching Kubica´s onboard Q lap at Monaco was just amazing. Looked like a wonderful car to drive there.

Really, had no idea Mclaren had the edge in mechanical grip, nice to know.
Wasn´t it also Button who drove with a different aero setup aswell in the race compared to Alonso? Yea could have been a real dogfight there.
Was pretty spectacular to see Alonso bounce back and collect 75 points in all kinds of weather and tracks.

George77
George77

I believe this year in qualifying with ERS+DRS and the less restricted rear wing we will see 370+

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

From my impressions of the new turbo V-6 package we will see less peak power from the basic engine lump. The ability for the MGU-H to spin up the turbo quicker and also avoid lag, the massive jump in torque, and extended power and availability of KERS all contribute to an improvement in acceleration.

But once the car gets over 200 kph, then peak engine power comes into play, and this is where I believe that we will see lower top end speeds at the long straights. The great benefit of KERS is when it is used in acceleration up to 200 kph. But you can't run KERS all the time, you have to pick and choose when it is used. For acceleration it definitely is worth using. But at higher speeds, then it contributes a lot less to overall performance. You attain a greater benefit by using KERS at lower speeds than at higher speeds.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.