Ringo F1 design

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: Ringo F1 design

So this is a topography view of the body surface? Now that has to be easier in CAD.

Brian

Tozza Mazza

hardingfv32 wrote:So this is a topography view of the body surface? Now that has to be easier in CAD.

Brian
Not neccesarily. I use a lot of CAD, but it's much easier to get the visualisation in my head onto paper than in CAD, and then put it into CAD later.

ringo

You get your ideas onto the paper faster than CAD.
I CAD the regulation areas, print it, draw the car over it, then CAD, print screen then print the CAD and draw over it again.
It's good to use both.
For Sure!!

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

i've done aircraft design both ways and with both parametric and non-parametric CAD.

the first conceptual sketch on a napkin slighly faster than a computer conceptual sketch, but what newey is doing in those pictures is NO WAY faster than CAD. those sections he is drawing can be done faster on CAD, with the enormous benefits of enormously faster changes/permutations and having a full 3D model to analyze.

he's a genius, but what he's doing with those sections is just archaic and no way better than CAD. some older guys just aren't willing to change and learn CAD. at every place i've worked, the board guys get left in the dust by CAD designers.

by the time those board guys have finished, i have a full 3D model with initial first look CFD done. if i have to change the design, i just change a few numbers; they have to redraw by hand and then submit it to some kind of CAD anyway....

marcush.
marcush.

again ...Newey does not draw himself methinks .He has the car developing in his head and theres nothing to fiddle around on the drawing board or in 3d.
He can draw it to the board ..but mainly as an exercise to get sort of piece of mind but really he will just tell the CAd Boffins what to draw up.
Newey is the best not because he does not know CAD and even if he does there are guys who are excellent in putting things into the system why should he then try and match their ability when his strength is in his head?
Clearly as you do CAD this influences your thought process as inevitably your system proficiency will influence your drawing.So you have no idea how to do a strak (surfacing) with your CAD system or it does not support your thought process and the spiral of compromise is starting to bring you down..I think Newey just avoids this to happen in sticking to his proven ways of doing things and let some boffin do the footwork of actually putting it into the system.
The ideas for the car are those important for the performance -not the creativity you need to put it into the box...

nacho
nacho

Drawing things on paper with a slower pace lets his brain think without the complicated distractions of the computer and its user interface. I've noticed this when writing something on computer or with a pen and paper. With pen and paper you think more and things move forward more slowly but with more thought.

vonk

ringo wrote:If you notice from the top view the side pod inlet slant forward. I have tested this, (with a proper intake hole on a different model) and it seems to produce down-force over the lip of the inlet.
This is a first in F1. :mrgreen: There is a small drag penalty however.

Most teams use this area differently. Mclaren use it to slot the front of their side pod. Ferrari and renault have their crash structure in it as this area is not restricted by the regulation to have a min. 75mm radius for one close curve.
I'm using it as an area to extend bottom of the sidepod and creat some force.

inspired by the Mig "fox hound"

and f22 "raptor"

just flipped upside down
You gave it away, Ringo!

Since these aircraft inlets are slanted to keep the inlet shock outside,

we now know that you are designing the first supersonic F1 car. :lol:
Techno-Babble = Meaningless use of technical terminology to feign knowledge.

marcush.
marcush.

nacho wrote:Drawing things on paper with a slower pace lets his brain think without the complicated distractions of the computer and its user interface. I've noticed this when writing something on computer or with a pen and paper. With pen and paper you think more and things move forward more slowly but with more thought.
Yep .You are right .Even writing is a bit different and not necesarily better when using a computer.Especially when it comes to lazyness and mistakes.

PlatinumZealot

I find my thoughts flow much more easily when I draw by hand.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

vonk wrote:
You gave it away, Ringo!

Since these aircraft inlets are slanted to keep the inlet shock outside,

we now know that you are designing the first supersonic F1 car. :lol:
Ha ha. Let's see how they work.

I need to get to work on the rear wing and the rest of the floor.
For Sure!!

Giblet
Giblet

Every angle of the Raptor is designed for stealth as well as aero, and compromises go both ways.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

PNSD
PNSD

To some extent aero probably places second fiddle with the raptor.

ringo

Giblet wrote:Every angle of the Raptor is designed for stealth as well as aero, and compromises go both ways.
Yes i have a slight drag penalty with the sidepod design.

I have an interesting exhuast design. It's like the "octopus" but is simpler and legal.

This weekend if i get the time, i'll be back on it.
For Sure!!

Giblet
Giblet

Well your car has some stealth elements as well. I can't see it at all!
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Holm86

Modern fighterjets are actually pretty aerodynamically unstable. They need computers constantly making adjustments not to fall out of the skies.