Ringo F1 design

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Giblet
Giblet

Re: Ringo F1 design

Yes, read it as likened to a dart being thrown backwards and computers keeping it that way. Always on the knife edge of turning.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Holm86

Excatly. So when the pilot wants it to turn it can turn instantly.

Tozza Mazza

Ringo, is this a 2011 legal car, or is it going to be a 2012 legal car? There are new rules on chassis height for next year, to aid driver visibility and discourage high noses and 'V' noses.

I am working on a project to create a highly detailed 2012 car. It's early days so far, but here's an early base model of the survival cell.

The driver needs repositioning, but it seems for 2012 the nose will have to be low and for best aerodynamic effect will have to curve.

At least this means no ugly high noses anymore! :D

wesley123
wesley123

You hsve these rules where it is stated? afaik the 2013 rules are about that, and that wasnt even that low. Plus there are alot of ways to create a low nose with still a high tub
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Tozza Mazza

They're at the bottom of the 2011 regulations. It states that maxiumum chassis height at the front of the survival cell is 550mm above the reference plane. The survival cell can start at 625mm max, encouraging teams to curve it downwards.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.ns ... 2-2010.pdf

The above link is a PDF of the 2011 regulations. Towards the bottom, just above the images, there is a section on changes for 2012.

wesley123
wesley123

you could just buid the whole tub around 550mm couldnt you? then you still can keep the high nose.

Tozza Mazza

you could, but the dash roll structure would look absurd. It would be 12.5cm high, which sounds small, but looks stupid.

ringo

It's 2011 spec, but initially i read the regs wrongly and was making the 2012 low nose.
It didnt seem right to me, so i double checked it and realized what was going on.

The car was ugly then. It looked like woody wood pecker. :lol:
For Sure!!

ringo

Giblet wrote:Well your car has some stealth elements as well. I can't see it at all!
I don't have it on as yet. It's still on the drawing board.

I'm trying to be radical, but i don't want to be radical for radical sake, the parts have to work.

Enough talking from me now, i gotta do something this weekend. ](*,)
For Sure!!

pascaljackson
pascaljackson

you are the only one here, who makes it serious without upgrading your car,kinda senseless, every two weeks based on any data or so :)
i like it
i hope i can do this as well some day

ringo

How many upgrades did the Brawn have? :wink:

As enzo ferrari said: Upgrades are for when you didn't do the job right. :lol:

Ok he didn't sat that, but i get you, I will test first before i make any upgrade. I have to see what the basic car does first.
For Sure!!

pascaljackson
pascaljackson

hehe, well my post belonged more to all the others who are showing their cars ;)

wesley123
wesley123

pascaljackson wrote:you are the only one here, who makes it serious without upgrading your car,kinda senseless, every two weeks based on any data or so :)
i like it
i hope i can do this as well some day
So you are saying every team isnt serious as they upgrade their cars every weekend too.

ringo

under floor, i did the basic diffuser today. As it is, it just has the outwash scoops at the end.

New wing design. World's first :lol:
This wing is a hybrid style DRS. It has the small flap like the mercedes, but it doesn't suffer the reatachment issues thanks to the smaller midspan chord on the main plane and bigger chord on the upper.
How do i know this?
The flow is weakest midspan on a vertical wing like an F1 wing. Strongest flow is adjacent to the end plates. So that section can tolerate having the slot gap further up the back of the wing.
I will notch the top later.
The interesting thing is that it is only when the wing is open it markedly exhibits this behavior. As when it is closed the flap sheilds the huge notch in the mail plane.

Another angle here.
For Sure!!

marcush.
marcush.

that rear wing flap idea is cool but couldn´t it be exploited even more agressively,redirecting flows and shedding even more drag?