General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
amho

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Pyrone89 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:07 pm
Jambier wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:59 pm
bigblue wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:57 pm
Got to be pleased with reliability, even allowing for swapping some engines out early for development purposes. Don't forget where they came from, reliability is now assumed, which is a big change. Surely at some point one will go kaboom due to pushing the limits and the rate of development, but not so far !
Reliability is I think the biggest surprise.
From what they came from, they are now fighting to be the most reliable engine with Mercedes.
And I assume performance wise, it's quite close as well.

Maybe they still lack a bit or reliability and fuel consumption to Mercedes, but it is close.
Mercedes still has a bunch more power especially in quali. In the race they also have the ability for some quali bursts. Race power Honda is getting closer but still not there. Also Merc is rumored to be able to start with way less fuel due to fuel efficiency. This could also explain their slow corner advantage as weight is a far bigger factor in slow corners (beating inertia) than at high speeds.

Watch the Bottas vs. Verstappen pole comparison for the difference on the straight (with Merc even running more df)
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

Pyrone89

amho wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:11 pm
Pyrone89 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:07 pm
Jambier wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:59 pm

Reliability is I think the biggest surprise.
From what they came from, they are now fighting to be the most reliable engine with Mercedes.
And I assume performance wise, it's quite close as well.

Maybe they still lack a bit or reliability and fuel consumption to Mercedes, but it is close.
Mercedes still has a bunch more power especially in quali. In the race they also have the ability for some quali bursts. Race power Honda is getting closer but still not there. Also Merc is rumored to be able to start with way less fuel due to fuel efficiency. This could also explain their slow corner advantage as weight is a far bigger factor in slow corners (beating inertia) than at high speeds.

Watch the Bottas vs. Verstappen pole comparison for the difference on the straight (with Merc even running more df)
You quoted the post and said nothimg. Or did you mean to use the upvote system?
Best WDC-drivers in F1 history:
Schumacher, Senna, Fangio

Driving a dominant car in the most dominant team ever, helped by favorable rule changes, against subtop teammates does not make you the GOAT (but still superb). It just helps you inflate/skew your stats.

amho

Mercedes strong speed in low speed corners is due to their new rear suspension
Last edited by amho on Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrone89

amho wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:12 pm
Mercedes strong speed in low speed corners is due to their new rear suspention.
You have a source for this? I know there has been talk about their front suspension, but not about the rear suspension apart drom small whispers about some rear steering capability.

Driving a dominant car in the most dominant team ever, helped by favorable rule changes, against subtop teammates does not make you the GOAT (but still superb). It just helps you inflate/skew your stats.

amho

You have a source for this? I know there has been talk about their front suspension, but not about the rear suspension apart drom small whispers about some rear steering capability.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14392 ... -explained

Pyrone89

amho wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:59 pm

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14392 ... -explained
Thx, and sorry for the off-topic guys

Nova
Nova

JordanMugen wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:46 pm
Pyrone89 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:42 pm
So, back to F1.
Sorry. :oops:
Pyrone89 wrote:
Demoralized by the loss of P1
Surely not!

Another podium is still a very welcome result and huge improvement on seasons past!

It would be madness if Honda would quit just as the unit becomes competitive -- especially with power unit rules to stay the same for forseeable future.
Big Tea wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:45 pm
So I bought a Hyundai.
:( :o

[I mean Hyundai are alright, they are making great products with strong German influence in design and engineering.]

Quitting now would be like selling your operation to a competitor that ended up winning the championship at the next try. Honda would never do that!

Pyrone89

Nova wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:07 pm
JordanMugen wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:46 pm
Pyrone89 wrote:
So, back to F1.
Sorry. :oops:
Pyrone89 wrote:
Demoralized by the loss of P1
Surely not!

Another podium is still a very welcome result and huge improvement on seasons past!

It would be madness if Honda would quit just as the unit becomes competitive -- especially with power unit rules to stay the same for forseeable future.
Big Tea wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:45 pm
So I bought a Hyundai.
:( :o

[I mean Hyundai are alright, they are making great products with strong German influence in design and engineering.]

Quitting now would be like selling your operation to a competitor that ended up winning the championship at the next try. Honda would never do that!
Yeah they had a bit time last time the stopped with F1 watching the tv the year after didnt they

ispano6
ispano6

A great interview with one of the behind the scenes Honda staff, Ms. Mari.

https://f1-gate.com/honda/f1_51202.html

F1.Everything
F1.Everything

is gasly worth a seat anywhere in honda? even though horner has "no intention" of replacing him, the fact that kvyat's had a podium before gasly makes him seem like almost a better option

dren

I think Kvyat still has a shot at the seat for 2020. He just has to put his head down and have a good end to the year.
Honda!

Wouter

Post by dren » 12 Aug 2019, 13:12
I think Kvyat still has a shot at the seat for 2020. He just has to put his head down and have a good end to the year.
From the RBR site. Albon replaces Gasly in Spa.

Alexander Albon is being promoted to the Team to drive alongside Max, while Pierre will return to the Red Bull sister team, Scuderia Toro Rosso.

Red Bull are in the unique position of having four talented Formula One drivers under contract who can be rotated between the Team and Toro Rosso. The Team will use the next nine races to evaluate Alex’s performance in order to make an informed decision as to who will drive alongside Max in 2020.

Everyone at the Team looks forward to welcoming Alex and supporting him during the next phase of his F1 career.

loner

a decision to be made soon
Honda believes it cannot do much more to secure its Formula 1 future as its programme chiefs await a decision from the company hierarchy on whether to continue beyond 2020.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14542 ... -f1-future

they are going full attack in Suzuka...
The company's F1 managing director Masashi Yamamoto told Autosport that in terms of the significance of the place and timing for Honda's first win since returning to F1 in 2015, "maybe the only place it can equal is Suzuka".
para bellum.

Alexf1
Alexf1

Maybe if the 'Suzuka special' will be introduced in Russia it can be a spec 4.1 instead of another spec 4.0. I guess if they're already done with spec 4 testing they are already developing/testing spec 5

Wouter

Japanese interview with Yamamoto about this saison. Part 1 and 2.

France was the turning point this year and Spa and especially Monza could RBR be competative.

Part 1. https://www.as-web.jp/f1/512082?all

Part 2. https://www.as-web.jp/f1/513488?all

From part 1, yesterday:
Can you tell us what you think after the first half of the game?
Masafumi Yamamoto Managing Director (Yamamoto MD): Looking back on the first half of the game, I think the French GP was a turning point.

──What is it?
Yamamoto MD: At the start over there, Verstappen would probably be out for a moment alongside Charles Leclerc (Ferrari). I think you remember. However, immediately after that, it was torn lightly.

Actually, Honda's power unit was overheated at that time. Just for Max. I can say that because it is now. Why is that? I analyzed why this happened after the race and went to Austria.

──That was what happened.
Yamamoto MD: Originally all four units had signs of heat.

──At the previous round of the 7th Canadian Grand Prix, you had power loss symptoms.
Yamamoto MD: That's right. And in France, only Max has lost a lot of power at the start. Exactly the power loss symptom remains in the data, and why does this happen immediately after the start of the first lap. So in Austria, we took all possible measures against overheating.

Running four units has an advantage at this time, and the laboratory has verified a huge amount of data from four units. Austria was very hot, but it was set to the limit so that it could demonstrate its original performance in such an environment. That was directly linked to the victory of Austria.

At the same time, I learned that it was possible to draw performance from our power unit so far, and I was able to do a good race with England, Germany and Hungary. About the UK after the first victory, I was talking to Tanabe (Toyoharu / Honda F1 Technical Director), saying, “It ’s a power circuit, so it ’s a podium even if it works.” In fact, it was impossible to win, but it could have been second if he hadn't even hit Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari). Thanks to such a race, we felt a good response.