General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
F1.Everything

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

is gasly worth a seat anywhere in honda? even though horner has "no intention" of replacing him, the fact that kvyat's had a podium before gasly makes him seem like almost a better option

dren

I think Kvyat still has a shot at the seat for 2020. He just has to put his head down and have a good end to the year.
Honda!

Wouter

Post by dren » 12 Aug 2019, 13:12
I think Kvyat still has a shot at the seat for 2020. He just has to put his head down and have a good end to the year.
From the RBR site. Albon replaces Gasly in Spa.

Alexander Albon is being promoted to the Team to drive alongside Max, while Pierre will return to the Red Bull sister team, Scuderia Toro Rosso.

Red Bull are in the unique position of having four talented Formula One drivers under contract who can be rotated between the Team and Toro Rosso. The Team will use the next nine races to evaluate Alex’s performance in order to make an informed decision as to who will drive alongside Max in 2020.

Everyone at the Team looks forward to welcoming Alex and supporting him during the next phase of his F1 career.
The Power of Dreams!

loner

a decision to be made soon
Honda believes it cannot do much more to secure its Formula 1 future as its programme chiefs await a decision from the company hierarchy on whether to continue beyond 2020.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14542 ... -f1-future

they are going full attack in Suzuka...
The company's F1 managing director Masashi Yamamoto told Autosport that in terms of the significance of the place and timing for Honda's first win since returning to F1 in 2015, "maybe the only place it can equal is Suzuka".
para bellum.

Alexf1

Maybe if the 'Suzuka special' will be introduced in Russia it can be a spec 4.1 instead of another spec 4.0. I guess if they're already done with spec 4 testing they are already developing/testing spec 5

Wouter

Japanese interview with Yamamoto about this saison. Part 1 and 2.

France was the turning point this year and Spa and especially Monza could RBR be competative.

Part 1. https://www.as-web.jp/f1/512082?all

Part 2. https://www.as-web.jp/f1/513488?all

From part 1, yesterday:
Can you tell us what you think after the first half of the game?
Masafumi Yamamoto Managing Director (Yamamoto MD): Looking back on the first half of the game, I think the French GP was a turning point.

──What is it?
Yamamoto MD: At the start over there, Verstappen would probably be out for a moment alongside Charles Leclerc (Ferrari). I think you remember. However, immediately after that, it was torn lightly.

Actually, Honda's power unit was overheated at that time. Just for Max. I can say that because it is now. Why is that? I analyzed why this happened after the race and went to Austria.

──That was what happened.
Yamamoto MD: Originally all four units had signs of heat.

──At the previous round of the 7th Canadian Grand Prix, you had power loss symptoms.
Yamamoto MD: That's right. And in France, only Max has lost a lot of power at the start. Exactly the power loss symptom remains in the data, and why does this happen immediately after the start of the first lap. So in Austria, we took all possible measures against overheating.

Running four units has an advantage at this time, and the laboratory has verified a huge amount of data from four units. Austria was very hot, but it was set to the limit so that it could demonstrate its original performance in such an environment. That was directly linked to the victory of Austria.

At the same time, I learned that it was possible to draw performance from our power unit so far, and I was able to do a good race with England, Germany and Hungary. About the UK after the first victory, I was talking to Tanabe (Toyoharu / Honda F1 Technical Director), saying, “It ’s a power circuit, so it ’s a podium even if it works.” In fact, it was impossible to win, but it could have been second if he hadn't even hit Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari). Thanks to such a race, we felt a good response.
The Power of Dreams!

dxpetrov

Wouter wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 12:27
Japanese interview with Yamamoto about this saison. Part 1 and 2.

France was the turning point this year and Spa and especially Monza could RBR be competative.

Part 1. https://www.as-web.jp/f1/512082?all

Part 2. https://www.as-web.jp/f1/513488?all

From part 1, yesterday:
Can you tell us what you think after the first half of the game?
Masafumi Yamamoto Managing Director (Yamamoto MD): Looking back on the first half of the game, I think the French GP was a turning point.

──What is it?
Yamamoto MD: At the start over there, Verstappen would probably be out for a moment alongside Charles Leclerc (Ferrari). I think you remember. However, immediately after that, it was torn lightly.

Actually, Honda's power unit was overheated at that time. Just for Max. I can say that because it is now. Why is that? I analyzed why this happened after the race and went to Austria.

──That was what happened.
Yamamoto MD: Originally all four units had signs of heat.

──At the previous round of the 7th Canadian Grand Prix, you had power loss symptoms.
Yamamoto MD: That's right. And in France, only Max has lost a lot of power at the start. Exactly the power loss symptom remains in the data, and why does this happen immediately after the start of the first lap. So in Austria, we took all possible measures against overheating.

Running four units has an advantage at this time, and the laboratory has verified a huge amount of data from four units. Austria was very hot, but it was set to the limit so that it could demonstrate its original performance in such an environment. That was directly linked to the victory of Austria.

At the same time, I learned that it was possible to draw performance from our power unit so far, and I was able to do a good race with England, Germany and Hungary. About the UK after the first victory, I was talking to Tanabe (Toyoharu / Honda F1 Technical Director), saying, “It ’s a power circuit, so it ’s a podium even if it works.” In fact, it was impossible to win, but it could have been second if he hadn't even hit Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari). Thanks to such a race, we felt a good response.
Brain hurts even if you try to read this.

loner

Alexf1 wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 12:01
Maybe if the 'Suzuka special' will be introduced in Russia it can be a spec 4.1 instead of another spec 4.0. I guess if they're already done with spec 4 testing they are already developing/testing spec 5
i agree Honda won't debut a new PU in Sochi unless they can squeeze another 10 hp at least from it but if that happens i fancy RBR to be extremely competitive from Suzuka to Abudhabi.
para bellum.

Alexf1

Hope RBR and/or TR are clear of the next competitor in WCC before the last race so they/one of them can take a penalty and try the 2020 engine (or what's ready of it) in the weekend and the test. Cause if Mercedes is on the brink of introducing a new concept for 2020 and if we have an engine freeze as of 2021 max development speed is required to keep up.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

nzjrs

Wouter wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 17:40
Belgian GP. =D>
While multiplied by good tire strategy at the end, Honda seemed to have great race pace throughout. In light of the results of the other engine manufacturers who also bought new specifications, Honda had zero technical problems.

Marti_EF3

nzjrs wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 17:50
Wouter wrote:
Belgian GP. =D>
While multiplied by good tire strategy at the end, Honda seemed to have great race pace throughout. In light of the results of the other engine manufacturers who also bought new specifications, Honda had zero technical problems.
Reliability may play a role that last half of the season, and Honda seems at the top of it. 0 engine blows, the only manufacturer without it now.

Big Tea

Alexf1 wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 13:17
Hope RBR and/or TR are clear of the next competitor in WCC before the last race so they/one of them can take a penalty and try the 2020 engine (or what's ready of it) in the weekend and the test. Cause if Mercedes is on the brink of introducing a new concept for 2020 and if we have an engine freeze as of 2021 max development speed is required to keep up.
They can try it on Friday
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

GhostF1

Marti_EF3 wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 17:58
nzjrs wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 17:50
Wouter wrote:
Belgian GP. =D>
Reliability may play a role that last half of the season, and Honda seems at the top of it. 0 engine blows, the only manufacturer without it now.
It's highly impressive that we can say they are the most reliable in 2019 so far... 2017 seems is a distant past now..

dxpetrov

Big Tea wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 18:06
Alexf1 wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 13:17
They can try it on Friday
No they cannot. Still a penalty.