General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
tangodjango
tangodjango

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

ispano6 wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 17:58
There are several reasons why Honda has decided to pull out that aren't outwardly apparent. I knew of two from a few weeks back from a conversation with someone in the know and they involve financials. The others have been mentioned - the fairness and integrity of the sport. With handicaps and under the table dealings, teams getting away with cheating whether it's engine or sporting regulations, the environment isn't one that Honda corporate sees worth fighting against. Honda F1 racing is understandably miffed, but it's not their decision.
However, Honda plan to go out with a bang, and according to my wife may continue to support the technology but not as a PU supplier. We'll see what that means in due time.
Do you have an approx idea of what they were spending per year? (if you can share that) Some kind of ballpark figure. In any case Honda leaving is a massive tragedy and these engine regs have been a complete s**t show.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

etusch

JordanMugen wrote:
restless wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 16:09
I'm dissapointed enough... until now all my cars were Honda. Not the next one.
Don't do it! :P I changed my Honda road car to Renault, and the lack of thoughtful Honda touches is really annoying. (e.g., Renault doesn't think there should be a tab to secure rear seatbelts out of the way when folding down rear seats... well, why not?) #-o
Let him go. He will back at the end. 8)

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

ispano6 wrote:
There are several reasons why Honda has decided to pull out that aren't outwardly apparent. I knew of two from a few weeks back from a conversation with someone in the know and they involve financials. The others have been mentioned - the fairness and integrity of the sport. With handicaps and under the table dealings, teams getting away with cheating whether it's engine or sporting regulations, the environment isn't one that Honda corporate sees worth fighting against. Honda F1 racing is understandably miffed, but it's not their decision.
However, Honda plan to go out with a bang, and according to my wife may continue to support the technology but not as a PU supplier. We'll see what that means in due time.
Red Bull badged PU's with key parts supplied by Honda maybe ? I'm not surprised that Honda is leaving F1, given the state of F1 politics and the fact the internal combustion engine is being phased out in the consumer market, means Honda will probably be better off spending the cash it does on F1 on EV batteries, motors and fuel cell technologies R&D. I think the time is approaching when F1 is going to have to move on from ICE to something new. Otherwise it's going to become obsolete. High performance hydrogen fuel cell powered F1 cars might be something to behold.

ispano6

The Honda E is RWD...

Honda Sports EV should be as well. Should be available by end of 2022.

waynes
waynes

tangodjango wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 11:37
I agree this hybrid tomfoolery has to end. V8/V6 with small battery and kers/MGU-K. I really wish Honda had stayed still 2025 given the restrictions in development. Massive blow for the sport. Can see Newey leaving RBR/F1 for good now. Also leaves open the undesirable possibility of Mercedes dominating from 2022 onwards too given their present considerable advantage.
I agree with that, someone better placed than myself can explain how much restarting the V8 programmes for each manufacturer would cost however I'm sure with fuel flow regs and integration of KERS would increase performance without costing an absolute fortune. I am also aware of the current climate change debate and frankly what would be the increase in fuel usage switching back to V8's? if any?

would the switch back attract more manufacturers?

Honda really do use F1 as R+D and they absolutely dont care about the wellbeing of the sport given they just drop it to suit them.

side note: who is the kid in F2 with Honda backing and looked decent? Bet he's gutted his free ride into an F1 seat isnt happening

wesley123
wesley123

waynes wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 09:55
tangodjango wrote:
I agree this hybrid tomfoolery has to end. V8/V6 with small battery and kers/MGU-K. I really wish Honda had stayed still 2025 given the restrictions in development. Massive blow for the sport. Can see Newey leaving RBR/F1 for good now. Also leaves open the undesirable possibility of Mercedes dominating from 2022 onwards too given their present considerable advantage.
I agree with that, someone better placed than myself can explain how much restarting the V8 programmes for each manufacturer would cost however I'm sure with fuel flow regs and integration of KERS would increase performance without costing an absolute fortune. I am also aware of the current climate change debate and frankly what would be the increase in fuel usage switching back to V8's? if any?
Considering the V8s make their power by revving really high, there probably be quite an increase, where there should be a decrease.
No. Absolutely no manufacturer apart from maybe Ferrari would want that.
Honda really do use F1 as R+D and they absolutely dont care about the wellbeing of the sport given they just drop it to suit them.
Literally every manufacturer
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Big Tea

waynes wrote:
tangodjango wrote:

side note: who is the kid in F2 with Honda backing and looked decent? Bet he's gutted his free ride into an F1 seat isnt happening
I think far more likely the next engine is an inline 4 or 3 with emphasis on economy and emissions with huge electrical boost and storage.

The only team likely to have any other idea is Ferrari
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

tangodjango
tangodjango

waynes wrote:
tangodjango wrote:

Well it was written more as a wish than anything else. Massive congratulations to Mercedes/AMG/Lewis for everything they achieved but we need something other than manufacturer domination and a cheap state of the art and fully competitive engine for non engine manufacturers and customer teams. It´s not going to happen before 2026 and irreparable harm might be caused to the sport if there isn´t a condensing of the grid in terms of performance both in the midfield and AT THE FRONT with the new 2022 regulations by 2023 at the latest. I have always wondered from as long back as Bahrain 2014 if Billions of dollars were going to be spent cumulatively then why on a dying technology (ICE) and a non relevant one (MGU-H). If the hybrid era engine rules had been framed as a hydrogen fuel cell + battery electric combo engine rule (I accept it would have been way too futuristic and would never have been accepted and this kind of theorizing in hindsight is easy to do) then F1 WOULD HAVE BEEN IN RUDE HEALTH TODAY. I bet Honda, Mercedes,Renault,Toyota,VW and atleast one major American manufacturer would be investing massively in an engine formula that would be so biased towards future road relevancy. But well if pigs could fly...
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

Mogster

Inline 3 would be an interesting choice. They can sound great, manufacturers may be interested. The BMW I8 has an in-line 3 ICE iirc. People that think F1 will be returning to atmo V10s are in fantasy land...

Big Tea

Mogster wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 15:06
Inline 3 would be an interesting choice. They can sound great, manufacturers may be interested. The BMW I8 has an in-line 3 ICE iirc. People that think F1 will be returning to atmo V10s are in fantasy land...
What would a flat opposed piston engine be called with one cylinder? would it be a single (cylinder) or twin(piston)?
or indeed double of this? a twin or a 4?

There are many interesting options, but would manufacturers go for them?

Mogster

ispano6 wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 03:49
The Honda E is RWD...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FTFf ... -10-02.png
RWD, FWD, AWD makes little difference it will have 300kg of batteries always onboard. That’s like 4 passengers...

ispano6

Mogster wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 17:24
ispano6 wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 03:49
The Honda E is RWD...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FTFf ... -10-02.png
RWD, FWD, AWD makes little difference it will have 300kg of batteries always onboard. That’s like 4 passengers...
Haters will always hate, you haven't even driven the E, have you? Every writer that has said it's a joy to drive and can look past its flaws because there is something about it that feels right. It's the Honda touch. Sometimes you just fall in love and there doesn't have to be a rationale.
Last edited by ispano6 on 04 Oct 2020, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

Marti_EF3

It have been a pleasure to talk with all of you supporting Honda. But right now I'm leaving the forum, no need to keep seeing this because we know who will win, and who will continue to win.

Farewell Honda fans :)

Big Tea

Marti_EF3 wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 22:18
It have been a pleasure to talk with all of you supporting Honda. But right now I'm leaving the forum, no need to keep seeing this because we know who will win, and who will continue to win.

What, not only do you only come here for the F1, but for only Honda F1? :mrgreen:

There is more to life, even here

etusch

Marti_EF3 wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 22:18

Come on @marti. Stay with us at least untill 2022 :mrgreen: