General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jambier

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

This is sad.

As 10 years ago, Honda was poor and they left when finally they started to be at the good level.
10 years after, same mistakes with engine.

I don't get it... Honda should understand and learn that F1 is not something you win in 3 years time, it takes commitment and long term vision.

Pany

PErfectly right!
mem wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 11:42
thats great nwes Honda just slapped FIA face for being Mercedes whores , how can any one compete with the current utter dominance of Mercedes , FIA didn't do any thing to end this farce , so what the point continuing like that

etusch

Jambier wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 12:19
This is sad.

As 10 years ago, Honda was poor and they left when finally they started to be at the good level.
10 years after, same mistakes with engine.

I don't get it... Honda should understand and learn that F1 is not something you win in 3 years time, it takes commitment and long term vision.
but others(fia merc aliance) also must learn to fairplay. Looking as a mistake it, yea if Redbull would champion next year it would be a shame, or 2022 as Brown gp did. :lol:

JordanMugen

Wouter wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 10:06
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh well, these things happen. With a push towards electrification and low emissions, poor Honda sales in Europe (with F1 remaining largely Euro-centric), and electric products needing huge R&D investment, the decision is entirely logical.

restless

Honda is dead.

JordanMugen

restless wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 13:20
Honda is dead.
:roll: No SAAB, Pontiac, Holden, Triumph, Woseley, Morris, Leyland, Austin and Rover are dead. :wink: Honda is still racing in affordable categories, so Honda still exists, after all Soichiro Honda himself authorised withdrawal of Honda from F1 in 1968 and withdrawal of Honda from MotoGP in 1969.

One needs to be realistic about vehicles that meet the requirements of modern motorists and modern emissions regulations, the fitment of 300-500kg of batteries appears to be essential to such buyers & legislators:

PlatinumZealot

JordanMugen wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 12:53
Wouter wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 10:06
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh well, these things happen. With a push towards electrification and low emissions, poor Honda sales in Europe (with F1 remaining largely Euro-centric), and electric products needing huge R&D investment, the decision is entirely logical.
Too little benefits in F1 beyond this point basically.

They will take their learnings from it and apply it to road cars though. F1 philosophy of engine development does not match theirs.

So sad for Yuki though. He wont have Honda backing in 2022 so he must do his best to move to Alpha Tauri next year.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

restless

Honda - the power of beancounters.

I'm dissapointed enough... until now all my cars were Honda. Not the next one.

rogazilla

Posted in other thread too. Honda uses F1 to train engineers first, PR/Marketing second (at least that's their stance). A lot of people are saying frozen state should convince them to stay, basically does not understand the reason why Honda is in the game.

2022 does nothing to convince Honda in my opinion, being frozen from development, chance of innovation becomes miniscule and you can play with the reliability route but that's not really the type of creative situation for their engineers. From marketing point of view, if they don't win next season or match PU performance to Merc, once frozen, you will continue to play second fiddle. No benefit in innovation and no benefit in PR and very expensive.

Goldwing

I'm very sad.
But by now F1 is 80% politics and 20 % racing, so I understand the decision.
But when Honda entered the F1 again, I was sad, too. As I knew it would be waste of money and human power. Other manufactureers could invest their resources to other much more important places in R&D.
Honda did not what to do with Europe. Take it or leave it? It would have been better to support the european Honda dealers (not with direct money but with differnet programs) and as F1 is mainly european circus I did not how Honda wanted to use F1 as sales success. Or wanted it at all?
And Swindon will be closed in 2021, too.

selvam_e2002

rogazilla wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 16:13
Posted in other thread too. Honda uses F1 to train engineers first, PR/Marketing second (at least that's their stance). A lot of people are saying frozen state should convince them to stay, basically does not understand the reason why Honda is in the game.

2022 does nothing to convince Honda in my opinion, being frozen from development, chance of innovation becomes miniscule and you can play with the reliability route but that's not really the type of creative situation for their engineers. From marketing point of view, if they don't win next season or match PU performance to Merc, once frozen, you will continue to play second fiddle. No benefit in innovation and no benefit in PR and very expensive.
So, if other manufactures thinks the same.... only Mercedes in the F1.

Honda reached its max and could not deliver what they believed so, exiting from F1

ispano6

There are several reasons why Honda has decided to pull out that aren't outwardly apparent. I knew of two from a few weeks back from a conversation with someone in the know and they involve financials. The others have been mentioned - the fairness and integrity of the sport. With handicaps and under the table dealings, teams getting away with cheating whether it's engine or sporting regulations, the environment isn't one that Honda corporate sees worth fighting against. Honda F1 racing is understandably miffed, but it's not their decision.
However, Honda plan to go out with a bang, and according to my wife may continue to support the technology but not as a PU supplier. We'll see what that means in due time.

JordanMugen

restless wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 16:09
I'm dissapointed enough... until now all my cars were Honda. Not the next one.
Don't do it! :P I changed my Honda road car to Renault, and the lack of thoughtful Honda touches is really annoying. (e.g., Renault doesn't think there should be a tab to secure rear seatbelts out of the way when folding down rear seats... well, why not?) #-o

Fulcrum

Honda - the power of disappointment.

rogazilla

selvam_e2002 wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 17:29
rogazilla wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 16:13

So, if other manufactures thinks the same.... only Mercedes in the F1.

Honda reached its max and could not deliver what they believed so, exiting from F1
The difference is that F1 is Ferarri's entire marketing budget basically. Merc also consider F1 their marketing campaign. This is the difference in my opinion where most people don't understand that mindset. It is true everyone compete in any racing series want the glory and the PR that offered but Honda has always been rotating their engineers and use any of the series as their development ground. People here have polar opposite opinion on Honda for doing that. I do think 2009 was caused by bean counters but this time, I truly think it is just no longer in the interest of Honda to participate unless it offers a chance to innovate and allow their engineers a chance to express their creativity. To be fair, we have also heard many rumors Merc considers selling the team because outside of PR/marketing the tech doesn't offer much back to their product and their future tech development in road car tech.