2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
lio007

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

Juzh wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 22:26
GM7 wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 19:33
Is someone know the gap between each tyre compound ?
Relative to hypersoft:
ultrasoft +1s
supersoft +1.2s
soft + 1.4s
medium +1.6s

Source:
amus https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... f-an-kopf/
I think it's not 100 percent accurate:

Here's the relevant part:
AMuS wrote:Nach ersten Erkenntnissen soll der Unterschied zwischen Hypersoft und Ultrasoft bei einer Sekunde liegen. Alle anderen Mischungen bis runter zum Medium liegen nur jeweils zwei Zehntel auseinander. Doch das ist eine Momentaufnahme für Asphalttemperaturen um die 20 Grad. „Der Zeitunterschied kann je nach Tageszeit stark schwanken“´, erklärt Red Bull-Technikchef Adrian Newey.
Rough translation:
# first findings / impressions are a difference of 1 second between HS and US
# time difference between the other compounds (up to the Medium) are 0.2 seconds
# but these differences only seem to be valid for track temps around 20 degrees, it's only a snapshot
# the time difference can vary a lot in the course of the day, says Adrian Newey

gandharva

NathanOlder wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 23:08
Why would there be a 1sec gap between Hyper and Ultra, and then only 2 tenths between all the rest ? Doesn't make much sense to me.
Because this:
According to initial findings, the difference between Hypersoft and Ultrasoft should be one second. All other mixtures down to the medium are only two tenths apart. But this is a snapshot of asphalt temperatures around 20 degrees Celsius. The time difference can vary considerably depending on the time of day,"explains Red Bull's technical director Adrian Newey.

NathanOlder

All I'm basing my ideas on is 2017. There was more than 2 tenths between the compounds last year, and the tyres are the same this year but with a name change.

And as we have seen track temps hotter and cooler than 20, it means the gaps are not really 0.2 between compounds. Basically no on knows is probably a more accurate answer.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

iotar__

NathanOlder wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 23:08
Why would there be a 1sec gap between Hyper and Ultra, and then only 2 tenths between all the rest ? Doesn't make much sense to me.
-
- (At a specific temperature).
- Why not? HyperS is for particular type of track because of last season's tyre warming problems (Monaco).
- Small gaps: to make strategy variations possible.

NathanOlder

Small gaps also makes it much harder to overtake. 2 tenths is not enough to pass a car equal speed. Last year in spain, If the gaps between tyres were only 2 tenths, Vettel wins the race no problem.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

LeClerc

It is I, LeClerc!

dans79

NathanOlder wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 23:15
All I'm basing my ideas on is 2017. There was more than 2 tenths between the compounds last year, and the tyres are the same this year but with a name change.
Compounds are the same, but construction is different.
197 104 103 7

PinkFloydPulse

I was at testing last year in Barcelona and the sound of the engines was really loud when resonating on the main grandstand, for the people that were/are there this year and perhaps have been there also, has the sound improved even more this year, as in gotten louder?
Team Fernando!

NathanOlder

Ah, thanks. For some reason I thought they were the same as last year.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Steven
Owner

Zynerji

It would be interesting to know how many laps are on the tyres of that Willaims and Ferrari.

The Red car looks like it is VERY kind to its shoes if it is anywhere near comparable lap numbers...

godlameroso

OK here's the gap for the tires. From Medium to soft it's .6 seconds, then every step softer than soft is .2 seconds faster, so the difference between the super soft and hyper soft is .4 seconds, and the difference between hypersoft to soft is .6 seconds, so the gap from medium to hypersoft is 1.2 seconds.
Saishū kōnā

shotzski

When is it beneficial for teams to run the hypersoft, full fuel load (1st stint) or on fumes (last stint)? Especially in Mclaren's case since they've been running it alot

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Opinions sought as to cause and remedy (if it is perceived as a problem, which I think it is) of the right rear wheel/tyre attitude. Last night I only saw the Aston, but here are two more with exactly the same:

CriXus
CriXus

godlameroso wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 02:20
OK here's the gap for the tires. From Medium to soft it's .6 seconds, then every step softer than soft is .2 seconds faster, so the difference between the super soft and hyper soft is .4 seconds, and the difference between hypersoft to soft is .6 seconds, so the gap from medium to hypersoft is 1.2 seconds.
That is how i am interpreting the gap.

hypersoft +0s
ultrasoft +1s
supersoft +2.2s
soft + 3.6s
medium +5.2s

1.2 seconds gap from medium to hypersoft looks too small.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw