Liberty Media New F1 from 2021

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: Liberty Media New F1 from 2021

So Merc and Ferrari to build cars for F1, LeMans and FE. With that budget cap.
So F1 making itself redundant. Good job Oxymorons.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

TAG

Some interesting info here which may wind up giving us a view into Liberty Media's overarching business model for F1 in the coming years. I'm not a follower of NASCAR but given Liberty Media's position, I wouldn't be surprised if they were banking on this same effect in the F1 global market. Less eyeballs but more money, the "global" aspect though would put a hamper on the live viewing value to advertisers.

माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Zynerji

***Enter-> Break-away series that takes 95% of the Eyeballs from F1***

This is #fullretard

I feel like my girlfriend was just given 2 years to live, and I'm torn between enjoying her dying days with her as much as possible, and looking forward to some new lovin' from someone else soon... :roll:

roon
roon

And this is why you run B-teams.

I highly doubt the 300 million dollar teams will be hindered by a 150 mil budget cap.

WaikeCU

roon wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 22:31

I highly doubt the 300 million dollar teams will be hindered by a 150 mil budget cap.
Would salary budget cap be better on drivers, management and engineering level?

Big Tea

WaikeCU wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 11:24
roon wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 22:31

Would salary budget cap be better on drivers, management and engineering level?
It would get messy then. 4 engineers at X/4, 2 at X/2 or 1 at X rinse and repeat for each section.
Driver cap? Poss workable, but the knock on down to junior would really restrict their earnings.
They could set a scale I suppose. Min to max, but the infighting could get bitter
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

alexx_88
alexx_88

Liberty know what they're doing. The fans that know even what an MGU-H is are a very small percentage of the total and the ones that care if an F1 car has it or not are even fewer. They probably realized that a miracle (Ferrari's revival) saved them from two seasons of complete and total domination by Hamilton, which would've surely translated into declining viewership numbers. They need a way to promote close racing and offer independent teams a reason to not become B teams of the main manufacturers.

The obvious downside is lost jobs. I don't think you can get around that at first. As the smaller teams will be able to challenge for wins more, I guess a big chunk of sponsorship will move towards them and there are perspectives of potentially raising this budget cap a bit after a few years. Essentially, the budget cap needs to make any money that's put in by the manufacturers as part of their marketing schemes, irrelevant.

I still think it would be really interesting for the fans if they'd have a spec race on Saturday, after qualifying. That race will count at least partially, only to the WDC and be run in an F2-style, with identical cars, with just the setup, strategy and liveries being left to the teams. Even 30 mins is enough for some really good wheel-to-wheel battles and imagine how much commercial value Liberty would be able to extract out of Leclerc winning a race, or Alonso. More people buying tickets at GPs and increased TV viewership.

MtthsMlw

Big Tea

I Hope they are not about to sacrifice F1 to 'Looks Cool'.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

Terrible😫😫😫

AJI
AJI

It says concept 2 in the top right corner. I want to see them all.
Still, it's not as ghastly as the current car.

Morteza

I'm wondering if it was designed by a team of F1 designers or a video game company! #-o
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Zynerji

Morteza wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 22:59
I'm wondering if it was designed by a team of F1 designers or a video game company! #-o
100%

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

If the future of F1 is cars drawn by children, then I shall be looking elsewhere. The whole "make things have swept back leading edges to look fast" is so, well, childish. It was bad enough when they brought it in on the current cars.

Really Ross. Is that all you can come up with? :roll: #-o
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.