Liberty Media New F1 from 2021

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sawtooth-spike

Liberty Media New F1 from 2021

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12514/ ... F1s-future

Very little detail here at the moment.

Nothing other than "Load, Cheeper, Better split of money". I was expecting something less "Safe"
Formula 1's proposals at a glance

Key strategic initiatives
Power units (PU)
• The PU must be cheaper, simpler, louder, have more power and reduce the necessity of grid penalties.
• It must remain road relevant, hybrid and allow manufacturers to build unique and original PU.
• New PU rules must be attractive for new entrants and Customer teams must have access to equivalent performance.

Costs
• We believe how you spend the money must be more decisive and important than how much money you spend.
• While there will be some standardised elements, car differentiation must remain a core value
• Implement a cost cap that maintains Formula 1 position as the pinnacle of motorsport with a state-of-the-art technology.

Revenues
• The new revenue distribution criteria must be more balanced, based on meritocracy of the current performance and reward success for the teams and the Commercial Rights Holder.
• F1's unique, historical franchise and value must and will still be recognised.
• Revenue support to both cars and engine suppliers.

Sporting and technical rules & regulations
• We must make cars more raceable to increase overtaking opportunities.
• Engineering technology must remain a cornerstone but driver's skill must be the predominant factor in the performance of the car.
• The cars must and will remain different from each other and maintain performance differentiators like aerodynamics, suspensions and PU performance. However, we believe areas not relevant to fans need to be standardised.

Governance
• A simple and streamline structure between the teams, the FIA and Formula 1.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

jjn9128

Re: Liberty Media New F1 from 2021

I'm massively disappointed by this. They've been working on it for about a year now and they're only releasing this sort of outline rather than actual details of what they want to do?! What were they doing in this hour and a half meeting with the teams this morning???

I'm getting less enthusiastic about Liberty's ownership/leadership of F1... but who cares after this season we lose FTA F1 in the UK, so I can't watch it anyway.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Juzh

post 2021 F1 Bahrain meeting

Not sure if this warrants it's own thread, but I guess there will be major consequences leading from this friday's morning meeting.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... 1-bahrain/

Brief overview.

money and governance:
- budget cap 150 million $ (does not include driver salaries, exec salaries, and marketing)
- draconian punishments for anyone trying to circumvent this rule
- use of external watchdogs for policing budget cap
- equal price money distribution between teams
- ferrari's historical bonus cut in half (down to 50 mil)
- all engine manufacturers get a 10 mil bonus
- a simple majority needed for new rules changes (51%), only sensitive topics require 75% majority (at the moment any changes not safety related need 100% agreement after certain deadline)

Engines:
- because the teams did not bring their own proposals to the table liberty is going ahead with their original proposal
- 1.6L V6 to stay
- peak power at +3000 rpm (operating range 13500+ rpm)
- relaxation of fuel flow regs
- removal of MGU-H
- more powerful mgu-k
- standard battery and turbo to keep the costs down
- engine regs are non negotiable (take it or leave it approach from liberty)
[media]https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/982193176889847808[/media]

Transmition:
- inner workings of transmitions to be supplied by engine manufacturers, only gearbox itself can still be made by teams (this due to being irrelevant from fan's perspective)

Suspension and tires:
- return to active suspension suggested, with a standard ECU (so the driver can better trim his car in traffic - drs on steroids? )
- 18 inch wheels
- tire warmers ban
Last edited by Juzh on 06 Apr 2018, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

RedNEO

This just says what they want to change not how those changes will look like. This is clearly just a simplified version of what they told the teams so far. It sounds like no mgu-h though so ferrari and Mercedes won’t like that.

RZS10

Do i understand correctly that the position in the WCC will be completely irrelevant because everyone (apart from Ferrari) will get the same amount of cash, but the overall payout will go down leaving more money for Liberty/Carey ... lol ... great plan

tpe
tpe

Re: post 2021 F1 Bahrain meeting

My initial reaction is that I don't like the removal of MGU-H.
As for the active suspension, it isn't so bad...

Ennis

jjn9128 wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 12:14
I'm massively disappointed by this. They've been working on it for about a year now and they're only releasing this sort of outline rather than actual details of what they want to do?! What were they doing in this hour and a half meeting with the teams this morning???

I'm getting less enthusiastic about Liberty's ownership/leadership of F1... but who cares after this season we lose FTA F1 in the UK, so I can't watch it anyway.
They'll get the teams to agree to the strategy. Once they have the strategy agreed, you then get the specifics within it.

bosyber

For those who read German (or following @tgruener on twitter), AMuS https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... 1-bahrain/ gives more details of what is intended (and suggests this is a 'take it or leave' thing from FOM ...), and I think that IF they manage to police that cap well enough to make sure that the 50m bonus to Ferrari, and an extra 10m to all engine manufacturers, do not flow into making the cars faster, but into the balance sheet as profit, they have a chance of making a good transition - yeah, MGU-H is gone for them; I'll miss it, but it does fit the plan, I guess.

jjn9128

Ennis wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 12:20
jjn9128 wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 12:14

They'll get the teams to agree to the strategy. Once they have the strategy agreed, you then get the specifics within it.
They will never get teams to agree on a strategy - what is required is strong leadership.
"This is what we're going to do"
"This is how it will help F1"
"This is how it will benefit you"

How it will benefit the sport is more important than how it will benefit individual teams.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Fulcrum

• The PU must be cheaper, simpler, louder, have more power and reduce the necessity of grid penalties.
• It must remain road relevant, hybrid and allow manufacturers to build unique and original PU.
The bits in bold seem somewhat contradictory.

bosyber

Re: post 2021 F1 Bahrain meeting

There's another thread on this too, which seems more active viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27190, maybe this one needs to migrate?

I too will miss the clever, interesting MGU-H, though I understand why they feel it needs to go. Active suspension probably is a very good idea to get rid of all the suspension trickery, it's rather cheap nowadays, and they already have ECU for the MGU-H,K/KERS anyway, plus gives more options to electronically test and allow certain things while leaving others forbidden.

dren

• $150mil budget cap. This does not include salaries for drivers, executives and marketing.
  • Revenue will be shared equally among teams. Ferrari gets a 50mil bonus (roughly half of what they get now), and PU manufacturers get 10mil bonus. Those payments cannot be used in the budget cap; they must be realized as pure profit.
  • Decisions will be made by majority vote, not unanimous. Especially important decisions will be made by a 75% majority.
  • PUs will be what Liberty put on the table earlier: 1.6l turbos with stronger MGUKs. No MGUH. Increased revs by 3000rpms.
Honda!

RedNEO

Decisions will be made by majority vote, not unanimous. Especially important decisions will be made by a 75% majority.

This is key

Also higher fuel flow rates. But why give Ferrari any extra bonus at all? Sounds like they LOST their veto at least. They better have a good plan to police a budget cap I can’t see how they can do it but I eagerly await details on this.
Last edited by RedNEO on 06 Apr 2018, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

bauc

Disappointed
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

LM10

There will be a budget limit of 150 million dollars. Teams will get so much money that they will just need to find extra 30 millions from sponsoring to get to the budget limit.
With 50 millions Ferrari will get the biggest bonus (about the half of what it's now) and engine suppliers will be handed 10 millions. However, Ferrari will not be able to use this money to invest in their car. It will be a financial win.

Regarding engines FIA has time until 2019 to present their plans, but since no team has come with another idea, it probably will be the rules FIA has announced in October already: 1.6 litres, V6-Turbo, no MGU-H, more powerful MGU-K and an increase of 3000 rpm for better sound.
There will be less fuel saving. All teams will have same batteries and turbos from one supplier. These engine changes should attract Porsche, Lamborghini and Aston Martin.

Inner stuff of the gear box is also planned to be the same for all teams. But teams will still build their own housing.

Active suspension will come back. Tyres will have 18 inches and tyre blankets will be banned.