Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

Ocon i think will now take a year out and be the reserve driver for Mercedes AMG, he will get seat time in all the team and tyre tests i think, reason for this will be unveiled in 2020 when Bottas will be moved over for Ocon.

At Ferrari, they need simulator, development and reserve drivers, Seemingly at most races the guy in the sim is Davide Rigon with Vergne and Kvjat in there when he can't do it. Similar to McLaren having Oliver Turvey do most races with others stepping in, and Red Bull running Da Costa and one or two of their old drivers and STR running with Liuzzi as on of their sim drivers. Mercedes have Anthony Davidson, Esteban Guiteriez and Sam Bird. Williams have Alex Lynn and Christian Klien as two of theirs and Renault use Oliver Rowland in their pool. This is a area that Haas and Sauber lack as they don't have a active simulator in their factories, Sauber will have one for next year as theirs is being built at the moment by McLaren i heard (but could be wrong) and Haas don't have the space for one, but are looking at a "Sim Unit" in Banbury somewhere close to their factory to get one. Both Sauber and Haas use the Ferrari sim in Marenello, even STR have a sim, but theirs will be upgraded in the coming year as Stroll and Son are looking to buy land around their Silverstone factory to expand their teams capability.

Ferrari would do well with Vandoorne, but i just wonder if he has been told by McLaren he has till a certain time to get a drive elsewhere or he can be their reserve driver. The reason for this the FIA now need each team to have a reserve driver in case theres a Felipe Massa/Hungary 2017 situation again where Di Resta stepped in. Each team has to have a reserve driver and a alternative driver.

I think Pascal Wheirlien will be at Toro Rosso, however they would regress if they took Kvjat i think, Hartley may not be fast enough any longer, but i think they are looking at a list of drivers, Buemi is out, Vergne and Vandoorne are two under consideration.

Haas will confirm continuity soon.

Sauber will boot Ericson as he has been embarrassed this year, i think Giovinazzi will be in for 2019.

Williams will be Kubica and Russell as i think Toto wants Williams to take George for cheap engines, and Kubica i think will get his fairy tail and come back to F1 as he has impressed in FP1 outings and all team and tyre tests.

F1 2019 will see the largest driver moves since 2010 i think.

Edax
Edax

Daliracing wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 20:23
Belgian media has stated that Vandoorne could join Ferrari as a development driver because Kvyat will go to STR and Giovinazzi would probably go to Sauber. Again its the belgian media so i suspect its pure speculations. But how do you guys think about this?
I am not sure whether he should do it. For me it would be like working in a valet parking, it is cool when you are 18,you get to touch all the nice cars, but as an ex-driver it must hurt to hand over the keys.

PlatinumZealot

ESPImperium wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 00:27

I think Pascal Wheirlien will be at Toro Rosso, however they would regress if they took Kvjat i think, Hartley may not be fast enough any longer, but i think they are looking at a list of drivers, Buemi is out, Vergne and Vandoorne are two under consideration.

I think Buemi is still within a chance he has been in close contact. Buemi, Pascal, Kvyat are likely the first names on the list.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

WaikeCU

Edax wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 00:48
Daliracing wrote:
Belgian media has stated that Vandoorne could join Ferrari as a development driver because Kvyat will go to STR and Giovinazzi would probably go to Sauber. Again its the belgian media so i suspect its pure speculations. But how do you guys think about this?
I am not sure whether he should do it. For me it would be like working in a valet parking, it is cool when you are 18,you get to touch all the nice cars, but as an ex-driver it must hurt to hand over the keys.
Who knows, if he impresses with work ethic and simulator work, he could get a seat somewhere end of 2019 or for the 2020 season. Sauber or Haas as a starting point or even who knows Ferrari if Vettel fails to deliver and gets the sack. Magnussen, Grosjean, Vettel and Giovinazzi are all drivers that need to deliver next season if they still want to be in F1 in 2020 or in a Ferrari in Vettel's case.

It would have a nice ring to it: "The first Belgian in a Ferrari since Jacky Ickx!"

iotar__

WaikeCU wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 09:12
Edax wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 00:48
Daliracing wrote:
Who knows, if he impresses with work ethic and simulator work, he could get a seat somewhere end of 2019 or for the 2020 season. Sauber or Haas as a starting point or even who knows Ferrari if Vettel fails to deliver and gets the sack. Magnussen, Grosjean, Vettel and Giovinazzi are all drivers that need to deliver next season if they still want to be in F1 in 2020 or in a Ferrari in Vettel's case.

It would have a nice ring to it: "The first Belgian in a Ferrari since Jacky Ickx!"
Verstappen was crashing and avoiding penalties half of the season, then got competitive no man's land, driving in circles podiums (to be fair so were the crashes). Ricciardo was just recently 0,7s behind in Q on top of several awful race pace performances. For his troubles he got endorsment from his future overpaying employeer (Prost) :D . Do you think they should worry about their '20 F1 future? Not in only good news marketing (TM) fantasy world that general clueless public is buying.

Don't even start me with Ocon, Sainz or backwards manufactured hype of Leclerc - "sign of greatness" articles based on nothing and reporting lack of damage after wall touch as some special talent (Brundle) :roll: . Spin doctors in full motion.

Vasconia

Some rumors coming from Italy and Spain say that Toro Rosso could be interesed in Mick Schumacher(currently second in F3), though Helmut Marko has denied those rumors stating that they are not interested in him.

Othere rumors say he could go to Sauber.

Theoretically its too early for him, he should go to F2 and see how he develops as a driver. I know that other drivers like Verstappen and Stroll(not 100% sure about this) went directly to F1 but its a risky and big move.

marvin78
marvin78

I think that Verstappen should habe done some years in minor classes and I do that too in this case. It's too early. They do miss many important lessons in theses classes and you can see that with Verstappen.

Vasconia

marvin78 wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 08:49
I think that Verstappen should habe done some years in minor classes and I do that too in this case. It's too early. They do miss many important lessons in theses classes and you can see that with Verstappen.
I do agree. I would love to see him as son as posible but its more important to learn as much as possible before he joins F1. In fact he has mentioned that he wants to spend(at least) one year in F2.

Edax
Edax

marvin78 wrote:
F1 history is littered with great drivers who went straight to F1 from Coopers or Vee’s without doing time in F3 or F2. I don’t think that should be an issue.

Also it seems that success in these classes does not guarantee success in an F1 car. Stroll, Vandoorne, Palmer were all champions. Perhaps it is even better to learn directly in F1, instead of first having to unlearn GP2 habits.

The thing I am more concerned about is age. But then it is more about life lessons than driving lessons.

marvin78
marvin78

Edax wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 20:39
marvin78 wrote:
F1 history is littered with great drivers who went straight to F1 from Coopers or Vee’s without doing time in F3 or F2. I don’t think that should be an issue.

Also it seems that success in these classes does not guarantee success in an F1 car. Stroll, Vandoorne, Palmer were all champions. Perhaps it is even better to learn directly in F1, instead of first having to unlearn GP2 habits.

The thing I am more concerned about is age. But then it is more about life lessons than driving lessons.
That are the lessons, I am talking about. And it's a mix. Verstappen is the best example for the lack of expirience in some areas. Hard lessons you learn in minor classes. Other examples where much older. There is no comparable example to Verstappen.

Big Tea

Blast!! double post again sorry :oops:
Last edited by Big Tea on 24 Sep 2018, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Big Tea

Edax wrote:
marvin78 wrote:

It would probably make sense to mandate a season in F2 before F1, and have a minimum age of (say)18 in F2.
Entry to to F1 would be much smother then and a self regulated minimum age.
This could also be used as a gauge instead of the accumulated points that remove some series from the ladder.

For instance, (and not well thought out) ~ A driver finishing in the top 4 of F2 gets an automatic license.
There may have to be other entry requisites to F2, but it would ease many things, and could become a top TV series.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

WaikeCU

Edax wrote:
marvin78 wrote:

Kimi is one and he became World Champion. So yeah, it's possible.

Starscreamer

#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

Jolle
Jolle

from sky:

Antonio Giovinazzi will partner Kimi Raikkonen at Sauber in 2019, the team have confirmed.

Guess that's the end of Ericcson.