Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

Sevach wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 01:45
Leclerc being this good right away doesn't help the Ricciardo to Ferrari thing.

And since Mercedes doesn't seem eager to replace Bottas, Ricciardo will end up staying put.
Yes. With all the investments made by Ferrari and Mercedes they are obliged to use their own drivers for their “junior/no2/driver next to their star” seat.

He would need to wait until the spot of Vettel of Hamilton comes available

AJI
AJI

Jolle wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 10:40
Sevach wrote:

And since Mercedes doesn't seem eager to replace Bottas, Ricciardo will end up staying put.
Yes. With all the investments made by Ferrari and Mercedes they are obliged to use their own drivers for their “junior/no2/driver next to their star” seat.

Neither team have promoted their young drivers for the entirity of the PU era, or years before for that matter... What makes you think they're about to start now?
Ironically, RB is the only team to do it, but RIC and VES will probably be team mates for 2 more years anyway.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

I think it is highly likely Leclerc will not be driving a Sauber next year. Whether that means a Haas or a Ferrari remains to be seen.

AJI
AJI

Fulcrum wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 12:44
I think it is highly likely Leclerc will not be driving a Sauber next year. Whether that means a Haas or a Ferrari remains to be seen.
Haas for sure. Grosjean is living on borrowed time...
Unless of course Sauber-Alfa have become Ferrari's defecto 'B' team? Haas might be Williams by 2019...

Jolle
Jolle

AJI wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 12:18
Jolle wrote:
Sevach wrote:

Neither team have promoted their young drivers for the entirity of the PU era, or years before for that matter... What makes you think they're about to start now?
Ironically, RB is the only team to do it, but RIC and VES will probably be team mates for 2 more years anyway.
Well... actually.... members from the Mercedes junior program were: Schumacher, Hamilton and Rosberg, while Bottas was managed by one of the owners and manager of the team. Wolff already said they are going to look in their own pool for any next driver.

For Ferrari it's a bit more complicated. I don't think their program is that old yet. Perez was in it but skipped to McLaren and before that we had Massa of course, via a internship at Sauber.

A very good chance Jules Bianci would have been in the Ferrari by now.

And after all these years and investments, what else would be the point of having those programs?

Sevach
Sevach

Jolle wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 14:53

Well... actually.... members from the Mercedes junior program were: Schumacher, Hamilton and Rosberg, while Bottas was managed by one of the owners and manager of the team. Wolff already said they are going to look in their own pool for any next driver.

For Ferrari it's a bit more complicated. I don't think their program is that old yet. Perez was in it but skipped to McLaren and before that we had Massa of course, via a internship at Sauber.

And after all these years and investments, what else would be the point of having those programs?
The Bianchi tragedy pretty much slowed the Ferrari school a couple of years, i also think he would've gotten the call.

Mercedes will have to consider Ocon seriously when they make their next move, when it was time to replace Rosberg he just hadn't shown enough which made Wolff go for his former protegé (although not a Mercedes jr, a Toto jr lol).

However, i think Toto wouldn't pass on Verstappen if the opportunity appeared, i mean he wanted Max too back in the day, he just couldn't match Red Bull's offer of immediate F1 seat.

Guys like him(filth rich) just don't let things go.

Jolle
Jolle

Sevach wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 16:04
Jolle wrote:

The Bianchi tragedy pretty much slowed the Ferrari school a couple of years, i also think he would've gotten the call.

Mercedes will have to consider Ocon seriously when they make their next move, when it was time to replace Rosberg he just hadn't shown enough which made Wolff go for his former protegé (although not a Mercedes jr, a Toto jr lol).

However, i think Toto wouldn't pass on Verstappen if the opportunity appeared, i mean he wanted Max too back in the day, he just couldn't match Red Bull's offer of immediate F1 seat.

Guys like him(filth rich) just don't let things go.
Yes, dispite everyone’s criticism (especially around here), Verstappen is who everyone wants. He would be a replacement for either Vettel or Hamilton when they call it (almost) quits.

AJI
AJI

Jolle wrote:
AJI wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 12:18
Jolle wrote:

Neither team have promoted their young drivers for the entirity of the PU era, or years before for that matter... What makes you think they're about to start now?...
Well... actually.... members from the Mercedes junior program were: Schumacher, Hamilton and Rosberg...

Man, I said 'years', not forever... It's 2018.
So, congratulations to Mercedes for promoting HAM and ROS. Keepin' it current.

The point is to promote them, but they don't. Red Bull do. That was my point.

zac510
zac510

Fulcrum wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 14:50
zac510 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 13:29
Show me any sport where 'any team/player/driver can win on any day'.. It'll be a sport with loads of randomness, so that great players can get unlucky and average players can get lucky enough to switch positions before the time runs out.
But people don't like too much randomness, they'll either rebel and de-legitimatise it (ie "Maldonado's win was just because of the tyres") or just reduce the emotional attachment to it (ie MLB Baseball "there are still 120 more games left this year, this one doesn't matter").
Golf. Seems fairly popular.
Yes that's true, Golf has a lot of randomness, there is often someone who has a <0.5% chance of winning (as defined by the bookmaking market) winning on the weekend, and even the favourite often starts with only a 15% or worse chance of winning. It's my observation only, but I feel in golf there is less fan passion for individual players and people who watch just watch for overall entertainment, compared to F1.
(apologies for the OT, maybe we should split this out into a general discussion about the level of randomness in sport).

dren

Alonso leaves for Indy, Norris takes his seat. Everything else remains the same. TR struggles to find a replacement for Hartley and ends up retaining him based on his end of season performance.
Honda!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

dren wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 15:36
Alonso leaves for Indy, Norris takes his seat. Everything else remains the same. TR struggles to find a replacement for Hartley and ends up retaining him based on his end of season performance.
Hartley gets replaced by Matsushita 100%. Perhaps even before the season is over.
There will be no end season performance, Hartley is nothing but 'acceptable' seatfilling.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

GPR-A duplicate2

Jolle wrote:
Sevach wrote:

And at that point in time, Verstappen would be available on the market. :) Who would you hire? A Short time prospect with a 31 year old OR a long term prospect with a 23 year old!

dren

Manoah2u wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 16:19
dren wrote:
Hartley gets replaced by Matsushita 100%. Perhaps even before the season is over.
There will be no end season performance, Hartley is nothing but 'acceptable' seatfilling.
Does he even have his super license yet?
Honda!

djos

Manoah2u wrote:
dren wrote:
Until he got wiped out by stroll, Hartley was having a great weekend in Canada. If that wasn't a one off, I'd say he'll be staying.
"In downforce we trust"

Jolle
Jolle

djos wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 23:02
Manoah2u wrote:
dren wrote:
Until he got wiped out by stroll, Hartley was having a great weekend in Canada. If that wasn't a one off, I'd say he'll be staying.
I assume his main job this year is making 310 km per race to get data on the Honda PU. Performance is secondary. They already knew years ago he isn’t RBR material.