Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
rscsr

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

Schuttelberg wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 21:59
Considering my innate respect for McLaren, I'd love nothing more other than have probably the most likeable bloke on the grid join them. McLaren could really do with a chap like him who exhibits positivity. However, my mind says no matter how much money McLaren throw at him, he's more likely to be a Renault driver than a McLaren one. I don't see him at Ferrari/Mercedes.

I think F1 needs to have a strong hard look at themselves. The once mighty Williams and McLaren are floundering around the mid and rear because they don't manufacture engines. It just doesn't seem fair.
It's certainly not only the works engine they are missing.

Schuttelberg

rscsr wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 22:16
Schuttelberg wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 21:59
Considering my innate respect for McLaren, I'd love nothing more other than have probably the most likeable bloke on the grid join them. McLaren could really do with a chap like him who exhibits positivity. However, my mind says no matter how much money McLaren throw at him, he's more likely to be a Renault driver than a McLaren one. I don't see him at Ferrari/Mercedes.

I think F1 needs to have a strong hard look at themselves. The once mighty Williams and McLaren are floundering around the mid and rear because they don't manufacture engines. It just doesn't seem fair.
It's certainly not only the works engine they are missing.
I'm not saying they have a fabulous chassis. I just believe the dependency on the PU outweighs anything else in the current formula.

I have no doubt in my mind RBR would be in 2011-13 mode if they had a Mercedes/Ferrari engine.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Sevach
Sevach

[media]https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 0279217154[/media]
Alonso:
"One of the hopes in changing to Renault was to be able to fight for podiums and wins. That hasn't happened. It's the condition to renew it for next year."

ScottB
ScottB

This time last year, Mclaren might have had a chance, had Danny bought into the ‘best chassis on the grid’ line, but here we are, Renault engines and the car is nowhere.

Danny seems to have had a bit of reapproachment with RBR while Max was off the rails, so it’s not a case of him being desperate to leave, so I don’t see him taking a massive gamble on Mclaren. Renault are at least on a (not very steep) upswing, but even then.

I imagine he’ll sign a two year deal, stay put and wait for Lewis and Seb to retire.

Phil

Sevach wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 22:02
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... rc-1047195
Take it for what you will...

If true Leclerc in 2019 already.
Please make it be true. I am already a fan of young Charles.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Sevach
Sevach

Phil wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 12:50
Sevach wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 22:02
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... rc-1047195
Take it for what you will...

If true Leclerc in 2019 already.
Please make it be true. I am already a fan of young Charles.
#metoo

PlatinumZealot

Danny boy is no clown. He knows he has the best chassis and a team that will** pay him well and give him that support he needs. The Honda engine projected to be stronger than renault too is a bonus. Which Idiot would separate from that?!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

alexx_88
alexx_88

Danny is very close to his peak. Verstapen last year pretty much had the measure of him and it's highly unlikely that max will never recover from his slump. To that end, Ric needs to do what Vettel did when he joined RB. Move. If Ferrari and Mercedes are really locked down, then his best bet is either Renault or McLaren, with an eye on the top seats when they free up.

If he stays with max, his stock will never get higher than what it is now. And I say this as one of the biggest Ric fans there are.

Phil

What makes Max fast also makes him prone to errors. Lewis was there, Daniel was there, even Vettel was there. It's a natural progression most drivers go through. It's a myth thinking Max will get any faster on the basis he is still young. He isn't that young - at least not in experience. He is already in F1 in his 5th season and he has had at more than 2 full seasons (3rd season with RB) behind the wheel of a top-tier team with RedBull. He will most likely become more consistent, less prone to errors, but that will most likely also cost him (some) speed. Driving with more margin or choosing your battles more wisely.

Dan actually is doing a pretty fantastic job against him actually. Perhaps not by sheer speed, but he is fairly close but making less mistakes. Being beaten by Max doesn't necessary mean his stock will go down. In time, he might actually gain some as the driver who is almost as fast, but not as petulant and impatient.

If anything, I think by the time Max fulfills his RedBull contract, his stock will have gone down significantly since the moment he signed that deal. Because by then, other drivers with just as much promise and potential will be on the market in Charles Leclerc and Norris. If Max isn't already a WDC by then, who would want him with most big teams more interested in their own junior drivers? Ferrari certainly are catered for. By then, even Mercedes will have some valuable contenders, I'm sure.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Phil

Do you know what? If i were Mercedes, i’d make a hefty offer to buyout Leclerc for 2019. Ferrari wont let that happen though and put him alongside Vettel instead. That is how i see it panning out. Vettel may not like it, but with pressure from other teams for Charles, they may have to.
#Team44 supporter

GPR-A duplicate2

Phil wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 18:21
What makes Max fast also makes him prone to errors. Lewis was there, Daniel was there, even Vettel was there. It's a natural progression most drivers go through. It's a myth thinking Max will get any faster on the basis he is still young. He isn't that young - at least not in experience. He is already in F1 in his 5th season and he has had at more than 2 full seasons (3rd season with RB) behind the wheel of a top-tier team with RedBull. He will most likely become more consistent, less prone to errors, but that will most likely also cost him (some) speed. Driving with more margin or choosing your battles more wisely.
Experience brings in another dimension to the existing speed, which would make a driver faster. Once a driver learns to manage and put together consistent approach, it is going to make a big difference.
Phil wrote:
Dan actually is doing a pretty fantastic job against him actually. Perhaps not by sheer speed, but he is fairly close but making less mistakes. Being beaten by Max doesn't necessary mean his stock will go down. In time, he might actually gain some as the driver who is almost as fast, but not as petulant and impatient.
You contradict your above statement about a driver getting faster over time. Just to put forward stats, every single GP where they both have had incident free races, it has always been Max who finishes ahead. Ric is looking good because of Max's mistakes. If Max learns to keep his head calm, it would be disastrous for Ric's stocks.

Faster driver can gain consistency by ironing out problems, but a slower and consistent driver gaining speed is actually a very difficult part.

It seems like Ferrari and Mercedes aren't a destination for Ric anymore, with both teams having made their intentions clear for the future. If he has to stay back at Red Bull, his only saving grace should be Max continuing to have this kind of mistake laden drives. If not, Ric might end up like Webber. At one point, even Webber was looking like moving to Ferrari when Alonso was at Ferrari.
Phil wrote:
If anything, I think by the time Max fulfills his RedBull contract, his stock will have gone down significantly since the moment he signed that deal. Because by then, other drivers with just as much promise and potential will be on the market in Charles Leclerc and Norris. If Max isn't already a WDC by then, who would want him with most big teams more interested in their own junior drivers? Ferrari certainly are catered for. By then, even Mercedes will have some valuable contenders, I'm sure.
No can speak for what happens in times to come as the landscape changes quite dramatically.

Phil

No contradiction, just different definition at play. Faster he will become through less mistakes. But it will come at the cost of raw speed. Once you start racing with championships and points in mind, it will inevitably mean using more margin here and there which will cost time. I will Dan is already doing that, which is why he is making less mistakes but also slower. Max only seems to know maximum, hence the rather silly and costly mistakes.

Everything is risk vs reward. Right now Max is driving with more risk. He is rewarded by stellar times and speed but every now and then he makes a costly mistake. Dan is driving with perhaps more tolerance and therefore not as fast, but on average he is close enough with fewer costly mistakes.

Faster can mean many things. Raw speed. On average. Over a season. Etc. i doubt max become even better or faster - when he will start to calm down, he will make fewer mistakes but some of that “edge” (that makes him seem inhuman) will be lost too.
#Team44 supporter

Schuttelberg

How long does Ocon wait before a Merc seat? Lewis won't like it much but I don't think Mercedes would like to lose him to Renault. I think Leclerc to Ferrari is a done deal for 2019. Ricciardo will go to Renault or most likely stay put.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Well, Leclerc is doing himself no end of favours. Grosjean bins it, Raikkonen duffs it, Leclerc nails it.

I think this little stretch of 5 races in 6 weekends is basically the final Ferrari job interview for Leclerc. Provided he doesn't make overt mistakes (such as crashing), I think he's going to push Raikkonen into retirement.

In my opinion, Raikkonen would need to win a race and podium several more within the same interval to keep the wolves at bay - and that's unlikely to happen.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

LeClerc taking either Raikkonen or Grosjeans place. But how about Erikson, not worth keeping for speed, but is Sauber starting with 2 new drivers?