1 point to be given to the fastest lap starting in AUS

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jjn9128

Re: 1 point to be given to the fastest lap starting in AUS

cooken wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 18:34
One thing that wasn't clear from the article. Is the point awarded to the driver in the top 10 with the fastest lap even if it isn't the fastest lap of the race? Or if someone outside the top 10 gets fastest lap, the point is forfeit?
The driver with the fastest lap of those finishing in the top 10 places will get an extra point. If the fastest race lap is set by someone finishing 11th-20th then the next fastest lap is taken... etc until it is a top-10 finisher.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

cooken
cooken

Thanks! That's at least the more logical of the two options.

Arguably the worst part of this might be Croft and co bumbling on about this all weekend.

RZS10

The chances of anyone outside the top10 going for the fastest lap without the possibility to get that extra point are very slim but it's frickin idiotic to award extra points for not the fastest lap of the race.

I went through some 2018 races and i don't think it would have changed much, rare for drivers in the top10 to have time for an extra stop, it will probably be an extra point to the fastest car, making it harder for the contender to win through consistency which makes this idea even dumber

nevill3

#-o Drivers should get an extra point for pole too and an extra point for each pitstop, may be even an extra point for finishing higher than your starting grid position.... :twisted:

Seriously though, points should be awarded for each position, right down to 20th place
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

proteus

All i can say is this:

If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

roon
roon

How about a point for not using a Mercedes PU.

Big Tea

pointless
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

roon
roon

In practice I imagine we'll see whomever is in the top-ten with a clear lap ahead of them and a decent gap to their follower, switching on quali/party mode, and getting the point.

jjn9128

roon wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 21:48
In practice I imagine we'll see whomever is in the top-ten with a clear lap ahead of them and a decent gap to their follower, switching on quali/party mode, and getting the point.
Whoever's in 4th of the Ferrari's and Mercedes with a 40s gap to the Red Bulls.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Unf

Why not something like 2-3 points for quali winner? For god sake - you won quali you get points - it's so obvious. Instead of that... fastest lap... which is depended only on that if someone took fresh tyres in late or not...

ispano6

Interesting rule from a few different angles.

Assuming you're in 2nd place and you lose out to 1st by a hairs width in which you were catching and faster than the 1st place finisher. It would be a bit of a consolation to the 2nd place driver since the points difference for 1st and 2nd is so large.

But then I think that positions 1-3 get big chunk of points anyways, so the rule is more enticing for the positions 4-10 where the points up for grabs are significantly less, and perhaps the top 3 ought to be excluded from this 1 pt bonus.

I also feel for teams that will ultimately never score a point and show up every weekend and end up folding shop because they earned zero points for the entire season. There has to be points for participating or at least SOMETHING for teams that fly out all over the world just to show up. Obviously being "in the points" matters so much in F1 and that should definitely be "sacred" but showing up for a weekend to amount to nothing is pretty discouraging.

Williams will be in this position this year. Should they even show up or just skip races to save money? Some teams have done/considered this in the past.

AJI
AJI

I like it. It'll add incentive for the guys running at the lower end of the points to steal an extra. The other thing, RB won't be able to control Max when there's another point on the table. Remember late last year? They practically had to forbid him to not go for the fastest lap before BOT got it with a late tyre change.
I can see a PU blowing up or a late mistake ruining a race when the drivers start chasing numbers. Lots of exciting possibilities for mayhem!

marmer
marmer

can't wait for someone who is leading by a big margin to fancy pitting for fastest lap only to have a slow pit stop.

Tzk
Tzk

Yep. If the margin between MAMG, Ferrari, RB and the midfield is as big as 2018, i expect the 6th placed car to pit and go for it.

proteus

ispano6 wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 23:01
Interesting rule from a few different angles.

Assuming you're in 2nd place and you lose out to 1st by a hairs width in which you were catching and faster than the 1st place finisher. It would be a bit of a consolation to the 2nd place driver since the points difference for 1st and 2nd is so large.

But then I think that positions 1-3 get big chunk of points anyways, so the rule is more enticing for the positions 4-10 where the points up for grabs are significantly less, and perhaps the top 3 ought to be excluded from this 1 pt bonus.

I also feel for teams that will ultimately never score a point and show up every weekend and end up folding shop because they earned zero points for the entire season. There has to be points for participating or at least SOMETHING for teams that fly out all over the world just to show up. Obviously being "in the points" matters so much in F1 and that should definitely be "sacred" but showing up for a weekend to amount to nothing is pretty discouraging.

Williams will be in this position this year. Should they even show up or just skip races to save money? Some teams have done/considered this in the past.
I am sorry, but this mentality is completely wrong. This is competition and not a charity organisation. If you are no match to compete in the pinnacle of motosport, than you have no right to be there.

The whole slogan of "everyone who competes is a winner" is making everyone soft and it lowers the meaning of being the best. Why should be those who are terrible be rewarded with points and given money to be terrible in the future? I know this sounds harsh, but this is the reality. If i wont be productive in my workplace i will get sacked and i will deserve it. I dont get paid just for showing up at work and being there for 8 hours.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows