1 point to be given to the fastest lap starting in AUS

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
LM10
LM10

Re: 1 point to be given to the fastest lap starting in AUS

Jolle wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 15:10
so if there is still that 60 seconds gap between top six and seven, first no six will come in with 6 laps to go for the softest tire, then number 5 the following lap and on and on... Don't know if they thought about this... in FE you don't have tire changes...
I don't think it will happen often that the cars positioned 7-10 will have enough of gaps between each other to get new tyres, stay in front and then chase the fastest lap.

djones
djones

I can see no downside to this move.

However if they are wanting to do it to speed the cars up (i.e. stop them doing the fuel save as much etc) then it is not a solution. The solution to that is dead easy, you say all cars must start with the full 110kg of fuel (or whatever the max in now).

ecapox

I think it introduces some more variables. I'd be curious to see statistics from prior years to see who this would have helped. Ultimately the stats wont matter since teams will now have a strategy to get fastest lap when the never did before but its just for pure curiosity sake. Do you think we will have tire strategy changes on the fly for those in 3rd or 4th to come in late for a soft set hoping to get that one point and possibly gain a few spots as well?

I think it introduces some variables that may work. I'll hold off judgement until after the first 3-4 races.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Well lets see a race which starts dry when everyone has a full fuel load and then the rain comes until the end of the race.

But then the driver who set the fastest lap in the dry on lap 10 doesn’t make it until the end of the race or finishes outside of top 10.

Crazy rule to add points when they’re not needed.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Lets call it “1 point for the car to pit last”

jjn9128

According to wikipedia a fastest lap point was awarded up to 1960. So it does have historic precedence. It's also common in other series, and means setting the fastest lap now actually means something.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Big Tea

There should also be boost points for running over stars and bonus points for running over people
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

I think that's a stupid idea. What if that 1 point decides the world championship? That will make controversy because it's unfair to the drivers. It looks too artificial for me, only results should matter.

djones
djones

Everybody has the same opportunity to get this point. So it is perfectly fair to the drivers.

Its another strategic variable to play and might even make some of the boring races a little more fun.

Big Tea

djones wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 17:00
Everybody has the same opportunity to get this point. So it is perfectly fair to the drivers.

Its another strategic variable to play and might even make some of the boring races a little more fun.
Sounds like an extra job for No 2 drivers. A, get the point. B, stop XXX getting it
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

LM10
LM10

jjn9128 wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 16:34
According to wikipedia a fastest lap point was awarded up to 1960. So it does have historic precedence. It's also common in other series, and means setting the fastest lap now actually means something.
That's right. I don't think it's a bad thing at all. At least that's what I feel. Let's see if we'll see negative aspects influencing the race unexpectedly.
Last edited by LM10 on 08 Mar 2019, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

cooken
cooken

djones wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 17:00

I think this is wilful ignorance. No, everyone does not realistically have the same opportunity. It will be dictated by your position, tyre strategy, relative gap and pace to other cars near the last few laps of the race. For those contending for race wins it won't make sense to sacrifice optimum strategy to go after this extra point. There's really no way they can compete for it against folks with nothing to lose further back who make a late pit.

cooken
cooken

One thing that wasn't clear from the article. Is the point awarded to the driver in the top 10 with the fastest lap even if it isn't the fastest lap of the race? Or if someone outside the top 10 gets fastest lap, the point is forfeit?

jumpingfish

cooken wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 18:34
One thing that wasn't clear from the article. Is the point awarded to the driver in the top 10 with the fastest lap even if it isn't the fastest lap of the race? Or if someone outside the top 10 gets fastest lap, the point is forfeit?
Interesting situation.. I think nobody gets point if №11-20 will set best lap time

FrukostScones

jumpingfish wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 19:01
cooken wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 18:34
Interesting situation.. I think nobody gets point if №11-20 will set best lap time
But then B-Teams could be send stealing. ; )
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.