Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
El Scorchio

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Manoah2u wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 15:07
El Scorchio wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 12:39
Manoah2u wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 03:45

like the guy above me points out.....yeah, silly season mate.

Or do people rather have a grid representing Marcus Ericsson, Stoffel VanDoorne, Joylon Palmer, Esteban Guitterez, Pascal Wehrlein, Sergey Sirotkin, Brendon Hartley, Rio Haryanto, Max Chilton, Paul di Resta and Charles Pic?
Oh, so it's just your fantasy line up. Not a great deal of point in discussing then. As you were.
Offcourse it's a great deal of discussing #-o
Anybody can put something up, and so they do, and so they should.

And if you're not capable or willing to discuss someone else's 'ideas', fine, 'as you were'. As you can see however, there are people who do agree to such a combo being interesting. But hey, each to their own. As you were.
Well, for me at least there's a difference between 'silly season' as in potential realistic moves on the driver market, and then 'silly season' as talking about hypothetical driver moves/combos that will never happen. Pushing Hamilton and Vettel as teammates at Aston in 2022 is only slightly more realistic than me saying Alain Prost and the ghost of Senna should be the 2022 line up at Haas. Neither one has a remote chance of being true.
If Hamilton and Vettel are team mates in 2022 at Aston, I'll happily buy you a ticket to the 2022 British Grand Prix so you can go and watch them in the flesh.

I'd have thought maybe it was more practical to have realistic discussion here on this thread, but a proper fantasy driver line ups thread would be an absolutely great discussion.

Manoah2u

What's unrealistic about Hamilton @ Aston Martin, to be fair?

Is it more realistic for him to stay @ Mercedes? Sure it is.
That doesn't mean it's impossible. Who would have thought he'd move from Mclaren to 'Merc'. Then that seemed like a silly move. Did happen though!
Who would have thought Alonso would really come back and @ Alpine from all teams.

Again, Aston Martin is essentially a Mercedes 2.0 team.
If Mercedes wants to be scrooge mcduck - not saying they are or will but if - and not pay him what he wants, or give him what he thinks he has the right on or would be correct,
and Stroll jumps on that, and manages to invite over Toto Wolff, some key people, give Hamilton even more than he asked for, get him a platform he craves, then it's really not so odd to concider him going there.

If the issue isn't him being there but rather alongside Vettel, well, what's the thing there?
Yes his son is in that seat, but honestly, Strolly boi will have a 2021 chance on having fun, but he'll no doubt replace Stroll in favour of Hamilton.
Vettel is an aquisation worth to the market, and it's also worth keeping him aboard due to his experience, knowledge, and that he's a WDC.

A combo Hamilton-Vettel is a strong pair, however you put it. A pair that works surely better than Hamilton-Stroll.

Now i don't think it'll happen. However, i also don't think it's something that far out as would be Prost in the seat with an imaginative Senna.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jolle

Manoah2u wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 23:27

That doesn't mean it's impossible. Who would have thought he'd move from Mclaren to 'Merc'. Then that seemed like a silly move. Did happen though!
Who would have thought Alonso would really come back and @ Alpine from all teams.

If Mercedes wants to be scrooge mcduck - not saying they are or will but if - and not pay him what he wants, or give him what he thinks he has the right on or would be correct,
and Stroll jumps on that, and manages to invite over Toto Wolff, some key people, give Hamilton even more than he asked for, get him a platform he craves, then it's really not so odd to concider him going there.

If the issue isn't him being there but rather alongside Vettel, well, what's the thing there?
Yes his son is in that seat, but honestly, Strolly boi will have a 2021 chance on having fun, but he'll no doubt replace Stroll in favour of Hamilton.
Vettel is an aquisation worth to the market, and it's also worth keeping him aboard due to his experience, knowledge, and that he's a WDC.

A combo Hamilton-Vettel is a strong pair, however you put it. A pair that works surely better than Hamilton-Stroll.

Now i don't think it'll happen. However, i also don't think it's something that far out as would be Prost in the seat with an imaginative Senna.
As long as Hamilton is on his a-game and by far the biggest star in F1, Mercedes is his, so at least a couple of seasons more.

He might do a Raikkonen or Rossi after that, for the love of racing stepping down to the satellite team. But in no way he will step to a satellite or customer team as long as he has any ambition to win races or win a championship. The difference between a works or customer is just to big. That is not just the car, but the team itself too. Just like spec series, where the same teams are in top of the championship every year.

Vettel went to Aston Marin because there wasn’t a seat for him at any of the works teams. Alonso was lured back as a insurance for/by Liberty in case both Hamilton and Vettel would have retired last year.

adrianjordan

Hamilton will never drive for any other team than Mercedes before he retires. That is my belief and I will stick to it.

Why would he go to a lesser team? If Mercedes stop winning then why on Earth would Aston, who have only become successful by photocopying a year old Mercedes and buying parts from them, be successful? They don't have the depth of talent yet that Mercedes have. They might in the future, but even if the entire Merc management team moved across now they would still take years to start winning.

I don't see Hamilton as someone who will carry on just to race. Once he stops winning he'll retire and focus on his numerous other projects.

I don't believe, at this point, money is his driving factor. He likely earns as much outside of F1 as he does in it. Yes it's nice to be valued and salary is a way to demonstrating that, but I don't see him taking on a multi-year project at this stage of his career.

That interview of him at the Merc launch spoke to me of a man who truly doesn't know how much longer he wants to keep racing for.

If he retires at the end of this season I will not be surprised. Otherwise I predict he stays on Merc on a 1+1 contract to see how the new rules are and give George a chance to settle in at the team.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

El Scorchio

Manoah2u wrote:

I'm in agreement with Jolle/adrianjordan. Hamilton going to AM just makes no sense for him. By definition while Mercedes is a works team the AM will never be as good a car. Why would he trade down un-necessarily?
He's made enough money to last several lifetimes and he's going to make a hell of a lot more through non racing income after he leaves the sport so there's no money issue, and at Mercedes he's in a far better position to spread the word about his passions, with their corporate might behind him.
It's also a really bad look for Mercedes if he jumps to a customer team and beats them so there is really zero interest for either party to have him depart, but carry on racing. He's accomplished everything there is to in the sport, and he's only going to accomplish more at this time staying where he is.
I'd bet the ONLY team that he'd be interested in driving for is Ferrari. He's not going to spend a few years pootling around picking up top 10 finishes. He's got too many other interests. I think he's done with F1 in the next 2-3 years absolute max. He's not going to want to join a 'project' and he's nothing to prove vs Vettel any more either.

From a Vettel/AM point of view, Hamilton joining would force him (Vettel) out of the sport. Let's be perfectly honest, the only reason Stroll Sr is in the sport is to try and make his son champion, so Jr is not going anywhere at all. He probably wouldn't even get a drive at another team, as all the money he would come with is going to be tied up in AM. If AM seriously wanted the best two drivers at the team, then Perez and Vettel would be the 2021 line up. It's clear the team is built to benefit Lance in the long run. They are just upgrading his partners, rather than the team as a whole.
I seriously doubt they'd be able to afford Vettel and Hamilton at the same time anyway. It would be a foolish financial decision.

It just simply isn't going to happen, for a multitude of reasons. It's an absolute non starter.

Just_a_fan

Jolle wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 10:27

As long as Hamilton is on his a-game and by far the biggest star in F1, Mercedes is his, so at least a couple of seasons more.

He might do a Raikkonen or Rossi after that, for the love of racing stepping down to the satellite team.
Hamilton won't do a Kimi. Hamilton's in it to win it, not just to make up the numbers. I could see him staying on at Mercedes for a season or two if/when they are caught by the others, but that would be it. He's had so long as the man to beat he won't want to go back in to the pack.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

adrianjordan

El Scorchio wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 16:38
Manoah2u wrote:

I'm in agreement with Jolle/adrianjordan. Hamilton going to AM just makes no sense for him. By definition while Mercedes is a works team the AM will never be as good a car. Why would he trade down un-necessarily?
He's made enough money to last several lifetimes and he's going to make a hell of a lot more through non racing income after he leaves the sport so there's no money issue, and at Mercedes he's in a far better position to spread the word about his passions, with their corporate might behind him.
It's also a really bad look for Mercedes if he jumps to a customer team and beats them so there is really zero interest for either party to have him depart, but carry on racing. He's accomplished everything there is to in the sport, and he's only going to accomplish more at this time staying where he is.
I'd bet the ONLY team that he'd be interested in driving for is Ferrari. He's not going to spend a few years pootling around picking up top 10 finishes. He's got too many other interests. I think he's done with F1 in the next 2-3 years absolute max. He's not going to want to join a 'project' and he's nothing to prove vs Vettel any more either.

From a Vettel/AM point of view, Hamilton joining would force him (Vettel) out of the sport. Let's be perfectly honest, the only reason Stroll Sr is in the sport is to try and make his son champion, so Jr is not going anywhere at all. He probably wouldn't even get a drive at another team, as all the money he would come with is going to be tied up in AM. If AM seriously wanted the best two drivers at the team, then Perez and Vettel would be the 2021 line up. It's clear the team is built to benefit Lance in the long run. They are just upgrading his partners, rather than the team as a whole.
I seriously doubt they'd be able to afford Vettel and Hamilton at the same time anyway. It would be a foolish financial decision.

It just simply isn't going to happen, for a multitude of reasons. It's an absolute non starter.
I don't think Ferrari would hold any appeal for Lewis. They're not exactly environmentally sound as a company, they're sponsored by a tobacco company and there are far too many politics involved.

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

El Scorchio

adrianjordan wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 17:48
El Scorchio wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 16:38
Manoah2u wrote:

I don't think Ferrari would hold any appeal for Lewis. They're not exactly environmentally sound as a company, they're sponsored by a tobacco company and there are far too many politics involved.
Very good point- I was thinking only from the sporting history/prestige aspect of driving and maybe winning a title with them. Possibly that's less important now given other things.

GalacticHitchHiker

I would tend to agree with the sentiment that Hamilton will retire with Mercedes. Assuming that he will take his 8th this year, what more could he have to prove? Unless it matters to him that the only record he hasn't equaled or broken is Fangio's WDCs with three different teams, I don't see a reason he would take a chance on tarnishing his legacy by going to another team. We will have to wait and see what pecking order the 2022 regulations bring, but I cannot imagine him taking a chance on an unknown for next year when Mercedes has proven time and time again they can nail reg changes.

Big Tea

Not at all likely, but how beneficial to both parties would a tie up between Hamilton and Red Bull be as a marketing tool?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

adrianjordan

Big Tea wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 20:52
Not at all likely, but how beneficial to both parties would a tie up between Hamilton and Red Bull be as a marketing tool?
Lewis has a deal with Monster, so would lose that and Red Bull are not renowned for paying a lot for their drivers, so he'd probably be worse off.

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 00:02
Big Tea wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 20:52
Lewis has a deal with Monster, so would lose that and Red Bull are not renowned for paying a lot for their drivers, so he'd probably be worse off.
I was thinking along the lines of similar market segment more than as a driver/team match up. Just to go to Red Bull as a driver is a non starter, but to create a synergy it may be a good move.
With Lewis fashion brands and Red Bull 'core consumers' overlapping for the main part, and Red Bull are the ultimate in getting their brand on things from the most conspicuous end of business, such as F1 cars, Aircraft, Altitude and depth records, and cool things like Jet men etc, it would look like an ideal match to have Hamilton's 'cool' brand and attraction and the Red Bull logo coming together in the same way things like Fred Perry or Lacoste shirts did at one time.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

GalacticHitchHiker wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 20:15
Unless it matters to him that the only record he hasn't equaled or broken is Fangio's WDCs with three different teams
Assuming he wins a race this year and then retires, he'd have a brand new record - the only driver to win in every season he's competed in.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

adrianjordan

Did Russell hurt his chances for next year, or were Toto's comments more aimed at placating Bottas?

Norris is on fire at the moment and him and Lewis seem to be having a bit of a love in.

Merc 2022: Hamilton and Norris?? 🤔

MKlaus

adrianjordan wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 12:27
Did Russell hurt his chances for next year, or were Toto's comments more aimed at placating Bottas?

Norris is on fire at the moment and him and Lewis seem to be having a bit of a love in.

Merc 2022: Hamilton and Norris?? 🤔
what happens if hamilton doesn't want to continue racing beyond 2021? imagine bottas and norris against max and george in red bull. george would be poached by red bull for sure. but i am sure toto isn't that dumb.