BMW to leave Formula One at end of 2009

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
modbaraban
modbaraban

Re: BMW to leave Formula One at end of 2009

I really hope to see Sauber team (and name) on the grid next year. This is million times better than fake Lotuses and March's.

Any chance for a Mercedes engine? Sauber-Mercedes sounds great to me

8)

PlatinumZealot

Suppose BMW still have engines for sale? I don't see why they would stop making them when the blueprint is already laid down.. all they have to to is make some money off the engines now.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

sticky667
sticky667

n smikle wrote:Suppose BMW still have engines for sale? I don't see why they would stop making them when the blueprint is already laid down.. all they have to to is make some money off the engines now.
they need reliability first.

ringo

I think they need better a lubricant brand.
For Sure!!

xpensive
xpensive

Since the folding of the breakaway series and the re-confirmation of Ferrari's "special status" with FIA,
I think BMW had quite enough of Formula One.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Speculation has it that the new team will use Ferrari engines and gearboxes...
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

WhiteBlue

BMW have officially denied that they will supply engines. And Peter Sauber has a long standing history of collaboration with Ferrari as an engine customer. He isn't too far away from Maranello, a lot less than Brixworth anyway. So going back to old success recipies isn't so far fetched.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

King Six
King Six

This new Sauber_Quadbank(?) team don't even know if they'll be able to compete in 2010 yet seeing as Lotus beat them to it and now they'll have to wait about the 28 car thing.

I'm guessing BMW are going to just take a break from F1 for awhile and that includes engines and such. No clue who they'll team up with next season. Cosworth I think have their hands abit full now. :wink:

ISLAMATRON

ringo wrote:I think they need better a lubricant brand.
Patronas lubricants was good enough for reliability last year.

jon-mullen

So the Sauber team will run Ferrari engines. IIRC Brawn had to get Mallya's permission to be the second Merc customer team. Would Sauber have had to get STR's permission to be the second Ferrari customer team? There's no mention of it in the ITV article.

And wouldn't you think maybe STR would want to withhold their blessing as the RBRs are underpowered?
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

SZ
SZ

jon-mullen wrote:So the Sauber team will run Ferrari engines.
There's going to be some fairly pissed off new teams who's only option was a four-year-old Cosworth design... rightly so too.

ISLAMATRON

It may be the same block as the 2006 V-8(as are all the current engines), but it will probably be more updated than any of the current engines that have been "frozen" for the last couple years.

optimized for 18K rpm, and fuel efficiency they should do very well against the field.

Plus they have alot of experience in longer life engines(champ car) so their engines may not lose as much power as they rack up the milage.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

One advantage that the Sauber guys will have is that they will have knowlege of the Ferarri style installation as they ran Ferarri engines as Petronas engines before BMW took over.

I have a feeling that Sauber will be using the year old engines that STR used this year, making their installation a 2 year old power train i think, as STR will be running the Ferarri 056s that Ferarri are using this year. STR last year were used as a development bed by Ferarri for their engines they year, hence why they had simmilar performance to the Ferarri towards the end of 08 and better performance than the Red Bull last year.

I think they have chosen rightly with their engine. Could be that the engine breakdown is as follows for 2010; Mercedes - 3 (Brawn, Force India & McLaren), Ferarri - 3 (Ferarri, STR & Sauber), Renault - 3 (Renault, Red Bull & Williams) Toyota - 1 (Toyota), Cosworth - 4 (Manor, Campos, Lotus & USF1)

Although i feel that one team will not make it for 2010, i think it could be a team like Campos or even Toyota, as those are my 2 faverouite teams for not making the 2010 grid, altho somthing says to me that it could be Campos if reports are to be belived.

PNSD
PNSD

Finally!

Image Image

carvetia
carvetia

Oh wow. They're gone. I can't believe it. :shock: Maybe they really will finish on a high... :D I always respected BMW Motorsport so much, so this year has been a real let down - those endplates in particular.

P.S. That's probably better posted in the F1-09 thread.