BMW to leave Formula One at end of 2009

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

carvetia

Re: BMW to leave F1????

With the possibility of no German, American or British GP (their 3 biggest markets) it's hardly surprising. Though it would be a great shame, they have a big fan-base, myself included.

Scotracer

No surprise there. I expect Renault to follow soon. Maybe Toyota too.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

xpensive

With the erratic governance of the FIA, anything can happen, if Renault is further humiliated, they will certainly get out as soon as they economically can.

John Howett has already hinted that Toyota's patiance is running out and as for Ferrari?
Well who knows, they don't need F1 really, they bring the status with them. Can you imagine Tony George's exitement over a Ferrari entrance at the brickyard?

And BMW, well, they can easily pull out and have Peter Sauber seing out the contracts.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

ISLAMATRON

yep xpensive, this economic climate is the FIA's fault too... but the FOTA teams sure showed them... to hell with cost cutting and reasonable budgets.

sticky667

so will Peter Sauber try to sell off or stick it out as an independent and use Cosworth engines? the price of F1 is coming down in the next few yrs...

we would finally return to a grid full of indie's!

ISLAMATRON

Scotracer wrote:No surprise there. I expect Renault to follow soon. Maybe Toyota too.
But we'll still have good ole Ferrari, who cares if the grid is only 10 cars deep as long as Ferrari is there everything is all good.

sticky667

actually 13 teams are confirmed next year, 12 minus bmw, so far.....

Scotracer

Just remember there's no concorde yet...so there are no teams for 2010 yet, really.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

WhiteBlue

wait and see
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

bill shoe

I think Frank Williams must be smiling a bit. BMW started from scratch with Williams and ended up scoring several victories over a few seasons. Then BMW decided they were not satisfied with Williams' performance and went their own way in a very public chest-thumping. After several years and around one billion dollars spent the results are a single victory. Williams' performance looks pretty good by comparison, and they'll still be on the grid in 2010.

Also spare a thought for Kubica. In hindsight I think it's clear that if BMW had not actively abandonded development after the Canada win last year then Kubica would have been world champion.

The BMW exit and the looming need for other teams to sign the Concorde and commit until 2012 is shifting the balance of power a bit back to the FIA.

Giblet

This is what was said April 27, 2009.

Mercedes may be rethinking its commitment to formula one, but the same is currently not true of fellow German carmaker BMW, motor sport boss Mario Theissen insists.

Like Mercedes, however, the Munich marque's executive committee does regularly review its support for the Swiss based team BMW-Sauber, he admitted.

"Formula one (for BMW) is valuable," 56-year-old Theissen is quoted as saying by RTL.

"Before the season the project was evaluated again in detail and the financial situation was part of the analysis," he explained.

"But in the long-term we also need success," said Theissen.

If they bail after one bad season, I have lost a lot of respect for this brand. Notice how he carefully called the team Sauber, with BMW support though?

That could mean a lot coming from a brain like Mario's.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

paused

I sincerely hope this doesn't happen. But if it were to occur one might suspect Kubica could be McLaren bound, no?

xpensive

I like to think FOTA was indeed serious, in the respect they xpected their FIA counterpart to be the same. But the way MrM is twisting and turning every deal to his personal liking on an rather erratic basis, I believe most of the FOTA teams just given up, trying to cover their losses the best way they can, when this is leading nowhere.

If BMW is indeed leaving tomorrow, nRenault and Toyota will be next in line.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Giblet

xpensive wrote:I like to think FOTA was indeed serious, in the respect they xpected their FIA counterpart to be the same. But the way MrM is twisting and turning every deal to his personal liking on an rather erratic basis, I believe most of the FOTA teams just given up, trying to cover their losses the best way they can, when this is leading nowhere.

If BMW is indeed leaving tomorrow, nRenault and Toyota will be next in line.
Xactly :)

Although supermodel wrangler Flavio has already talked about buying the team if Renault dumps. I think Renault in some form will exist.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute