Alonso: I've never asked to be number one

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ringo

Re: Alonso: I've never asked to be number one

He has never need to be in a supporting role based on points, that's true.
I don't blame him for anything either. I respect him as a driver, I am a slight Alonso fan actually, I just don't see him being a supportive driver on a per race basis.

Kimi and Massa were the best paired drivers in F1 ever, in a starsky and hutch kinda way.
ImageImage
No one played #2, but you could see how well they back up each other on track, while at the same time not conceding to the other.
Not talking about the WDC run, just on a per race basis.
I was just predicting what the situation would be like if it so happens Alonso is not in the running for WDC, based on his perceived attitude.
Don't get me wrong, i am not an Alonso basher or wish bad luck for him. I am not going to go into 2007, it's been beaten to death.
The attitudes were wrong but the strategies were fine, just that one guy was faster.
Regardless of what happened then, there was no visual indication at the beginning of the season that he intended to be a flexible team mate.

I don't even hate that at all, that's just how he is. I won't grudge him if he runs Massa of the track in the very first race. I like all kinds of characters in F1, good or bad. Every good movie needs a bad guy.

As it stands Alonso just explained why he reacted the way he did back then, he is just paranoid.
For Sure!!

ringo

nipo wrote:
Tazio wrote:I think your reading a little too much into, and projecting too much out of that statement. JMVHO [-X
Nope. Not if you look at his history which matches perfectly with his choice of words: "satisfy my needs".

Another quote:
What I do is work 110 per cent with the team and if the team is not working 110 per cent too it's not right
You know, teamwork is not like you give 110% and expect the team to give you 110% blah blah blah. Yes, that is logically correct, but the mentality of teamwork is actually "together, we give out 110%". You can easily see his mentality of distancing himself with the rest of the team, which he did pretty well at both Renault and McLaren (for God's sake he SOLD the latter team in the spy scandal!!!).

That he has talent I do not doubt. And actually I do not care.
Alonso is a mercenary 8) , the team is his bag boy, they hand him his tools, if they don't comply he will drop a scandal then pack up and leave for the next team searching for a savior. It's their loss if Alonso can do what is mathematically impossible and they can't. 110% or no WDC from Alonso!
For Sure!!

Giblet
Giblet

ringo wrote:
nipo wrote:
Tazio wrote:I think your reading a little too much into, and projecting too much out of that statement. JMVHO [-X
Nope. Not if you look at his history which matches perfectly with his choice of words: "satisfy my needs".

Another quote:
What I do is work 110 per cent with the team and if the team is not working 110 per cent too it's not right
You know, teamwork is not like you give 110% and expect the team to give you 110% blah blah blah. Yes, that is logically correct, but the mentality of teamwork is actually "together, we give out 110%". You can easily see his mentality of distancing himself with the rest of the team, which he did pretty well at both Renault and McLaren (for God's sake he SOLD the latter team in the spy scandal!!!).

Alonso is a mercenary 8) , the team is his bag boy, they hand him his tools, if they don't comply he will drop a scandal then pack up and leave for the next team searching for a savior. It's their loss if Alonso can do what is mathematically impossible and they can't. 110% or no WDC from Alonso!
You are reading more into his statements than is actually there. He has a manager, and I am sure his manager knows what he wants, as it is his job to present them to the team. There are also people in Ferrari, and on other teams, who's main job is hospitality, an it's their job to coddle the drivers and staff to what they need, without them having to ask.

Having your needs satisfied does not mean "I asked for this and got it". Things can be offered to drivers without them having to ask. It happens constantly.

nitpicking statements about %110 percent is just not fair, and is an attempt to paint our eyes with your opinion of Alonso. Damn right he expects what he delivers in effort. That's called drive, and it's called work ethic. Not F1 team will be successful on a mere %100(sic). What he expects is now totally fair, as Ferrari signed him. I doubt there was a clause that said "Ask for nothing, we will not provide" I expect, you deliver is a two way street.

All drivers are mercenaries. They do battle for a specific side, are under a specific contract, and there are penalties for deserting.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you are reading things into statements there is no way to prove is there.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

segedunum
segedunum

Not given past history. As talented as Alonso is Ferrari are going to have to have some serious internal discussions about whether they want to include Alonso on anything if they feel they might have some skeletons in their cupboard. Alonso has made it abundantly clear to his previous teams that he will use whatever leverage he can if he feels he isn't getting his own way once the honeymoon period is over. Raikkonen was the complete polar opposite in that respect so I hope Ferrari are prepared.

That is not an opinion of Alonso. That's his past history based on past actions, and it now precedes him.

Giblet
Giblet

If Alonso is smart, he has to have learned to stop throwing his toys by now when he doesn't get his way.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ringo

Giblet wrote: You are reading more into his statements than is actually there. He has a manager, and I am sure his manager knows what he wants, as it is his job to present them to the team. There are also people in Ferrari, and on other teams, who's main job is hospitality, an it's their job to coddle the drivers and staff to what they need, without them having to ask.

Having your needs satisfied does not mean "I asked for this and got it". Things can be offered to drivers without them having to ask. It happens constantly.

nitpicking statements about %110 percent is just not fair, and is an attempt to paint our eyes with your opinion of Alonso. Damn right he expects what he delivers in effort. That's called drive, and it's called work ethic. Not F1 team will be successful on a mere %100(sic). What he expects is now totally fair, as Ferrari signed him. I doubt there was a clause that said "Ask for nothing, we will not provide" I expect, you deliver is a two way street.

All drivers are mercenaries. They do battle for a specific side, are under a specific contract, and there are penalties for deserting.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you are reading things into statements there is no way to prove is there.
Quite the opposite :lol: , i wasn't being serious, i should of used a smiley. All i care for is his driving really. Ferrari is his last team so he wont walk out on them after Massa humbles him.
It's been a while since we saw a winning Alonso, the scandal memories are becoming more vivid than winning Alonso ones. He may want to change that.

Let's see who is second to drive the new car in the tests in February. Will he view it as a symbol of being #2 driver? Will he throw out his toys if he doesn't get to play with the red car first?
For Sure!!

Giblet
Giblet

#-o

My bad.

ringo

Giblet wrote:If Alonso is smart, he has to have learned to stop throwing his toys by now when he doesn't get his way.

:mrgreen:
For Sure!!

Mr Alcatraz

nipo wrote:

Another quote:

I don't quite follow your logic
he is simply stating the obvious!

What do you read out of these comments both from Lewis, and Fred:
Fernando Alonso spent little time reacting to a provocative comment made recently by his former McLaren teammate Lewis Hamilton.

Contemplating their explosive single season together at the Woking team in 2007, Briton Hamilton recalled that "I blew him away".

In fact, the pair won four races apiece and ended the season with identical tallies of 109 points, but 28-year-old Alonso did not get upset when asked about Hamilton's comment at Ferrari's winter media event this week.

"If I have to answer to all that he says I would use up too much time," he shrugged, according to the Daily Telegraph.
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=355092
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

De Jokke

Bullshit as usual from Alonso
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Mr Alcatraz

De Jokke wrote:Bullshit as usual from Alonso
And what Lewis said is factual? :? :lol:

De Jokke

Tazio wrote:
I never said that, that's what you are making of it. :wink:

Mr Alcatraz

De Jokke wrote:
Tazio wrote:
De Jokke wrote:I never said that, that's what you are making of it. :wink:

The response you quoted was framed in the form of a question!

Don't acuse me of taking your comment out of context.

It was simply a question :idea:

Not that I care. All of the nonesense, and accustions will have no meaning when the season plays itself out.

This is not personal with me!

Peace Bro.

See you in the funny papers! :wink:

De Jokke

The response you quoted was framed in the form of a question!

Don't acuse me of taking your comment out of context.

It was simply a question :idea:

Not that I care. All of the nonesense, and accustions will have no meaning when the season plays itself out.

This is not personal with me!

Peace Bro.

See you in the funny papers! :wink:

I know what you're trying to do but I'll wisely pass.

We'll see what the season brings but I don't think Massa and Alonso will be "getting along" very long.

ringo

Well Alonso says he needs about 3 races for the "true" Alonso to kick in.
Within that time he will be getting along ok with Massa, using it to gauge his teammate.
For Sure!!