New helmet design for 2019

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
turbof1

New helmet design for 2019

The FIA unveiled a new helmet design today, to be mandated for the 2019 season:

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-reveals-ul ... -helmet-f1
#AeroFrodo

digitalrurouni

Re: New helmet design for 2019

I never realized helmets were released with such pomp and circumstance!!

JonoNic

turbof1 wrote:The FIA unveiled a new helmet design today, to be mandated for the 2019 season:
Thanks for the links

I just pulled this from the article

Toughened Tests
Under the new FIA 8860-2018 standard all helmets must withstand the following tests:

Standard impact: Helmet impact at 9.5m/s. Peak deceleration on ‘driver’s head’ shall not exceed 275G.

Low velocity impact: Helmet impact at 6m/s. Peak deceleration shall not exceed 200G with a maximum average of 180g.

Low lateral impact: Helmet impact at 8.5m/s. Peak deceleration shall not exceed 275G.

Advanced Ballistic Protection: A 225g metal projectile fired at 250km/h. The peak deceleration shall not exceed 275G.

Crush: A 10kg weight falling 5.1 metres onto helmet. Lateral and longitudinal tests. The transmitted force should not exceed 10 kN.

Shell penetration: A 4kg impactor dropped onto helmet at 7.7 m/s.

Visor penetration: Air rifle fires 1.2g pellet at visor. Pellet must not penetrate the interior of the helmet.

Visor coating: Transmitter test to ensure colouration and vision is not significantly changed or distorted.

Retention system: Roll-off test and dynamic test to ensure strength of chin strap and its attachments.

Chin guard linear impact: Impact test with full headform at 5.5m/s. The peak deceleration shall not exceed 275G.

Chin guard crush: Hammer hits chin guard and measures ability to keep impact away from the head.

FHR mechanical strength: Test to ensure high strength of attachment points for Frontal Head Restraints.

Projection and surface friction: Test to ensure helmet surface uniformity and that friction is minimised. Shell surface also subjected to BARCOL hardness test for resistance to penetration.

Flammability: Helmet exposed to 790 C° flame; it must self-extinguish once flame is removed.

Always find the gap then use it.

GTO99

Why does it look like it is made of Lego?

Sevach

I'm curious how it will look painted, but it's safety steps seem solid.

wesley123

"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Peter1919

Is it just me or does that visor look quite narrow?

Big Tea

Peter1919 wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 22:59
Probably same apparent view as through the HALO
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

DiogoBrand

Why did they remove the upper visor frame? (The one they added after Massa's accident)

Jolle

DiogoBrand wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 23:30
Why did they remove the upper visor frame? (The one they added after Massa's accident)
Guess it’s integrated now. The zylon strip is partly on top or a part of the visor they block off anyway against the sun. Now it’s just carbon/Kevlar/Zylon/unutanium with foam between the Forehead and the shell

Maritimer

Peter1919 wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 22:59
I think if you account for the ballistic strip they have now it's more or less the same. They closed the opening 1cm so it's not a huge change either way.

J.A.W.

& suddenly.. its the future-past!

& to replace the hideous halo..

"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

J.A.W.

& its.. Max Verstappen's new.. "Yeah, I'm racing in dick-head mode" - helmet..

"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

DiogoBrand

J.A.W. wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 01:00
& its.. Max Verstappen's new.. "Yeah, I'm racing in dick-head mode" - helmet..

https://www.bikehugger.com/images/blog/twiggy_robot.jpg
I heard the manufacturer for his helmet will be Bell...

end.

johnny vee

The FIA has revealed a new helmet standard that will be mandatory in Formula 1 from the 2019 season

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia- ... 1-1044851/

The top of the helmet's visor opening has been lowered by 10mm to incorporate advanced ballistic protection that "achieves unprecedented levels of safety during impact from debris," according to a FIA statement.

Under the new FIA 8860-2018 standard all helmets must withstand the following tests:

Standard impact: Helmet impact at 9.5m/s. Peak deceleration on 'driver's head' shall not exceed 275G.

Low velocity impact: Helmet impact at 6m/s. Peak deceleration shall not exceed 200G with a maximum average of 180g.

Low lateral impact: Helmet impact at 8.5m/s. Peak deceleration shall not exceed 275G.

Advanced Ballistic Protection: A 225g metal projectile fired at 250km/h. The peak deceleration shall not exceed 275G.

Crush: A 10kg weight falling 5.1 metres onto helmet. Lateral and longitudinal tests. The transmitted force should not exceed 10 kN.

Shell penetration: A 4kg impactor dropped onto helmet at 7.7 m/s.

Visor penetration: Air rifle fires 1.2g pellet at visor. Pellet must not penetrate the interior of the helmet.

Visor coating: Transmitter test to ensure colouration and vision is not significantly changed or distorted.

Retention system: Roll-off test and dynamic test to ensure strength of chin strap and its attachments.

Chin guard linear impact: Impact test with full headform at 5.5m/s. The peak deceleration shall not exceed 275G.

Chin guard crush: Hammer hits chin guard and measures ability to keep impact away from the head.

FHR mechanical strength: Test to ensure high strength of attachment points for Frontal Head Restraints.

Projection and surface friction: Test to ensure helmet surface uniformity and that friction is minimised. Shell surface also subjected to BARCOL hardness test for resistance to penetration.

Flammability: Helmet exposed to 790 C° flame; it must self-extinguish once flame is removed.
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded