CaterhamF1 CT-01 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vale46
Vale46

Re: CaterhamF1 CT-01 Renault

Blackout wrote:Exhaust outlets visible here

WTF! How ugly is that nose?? :wtf:
Is that a feature all cars gonna have? Because Luca Di Montezemolo said the new 2012 Ferrari is going to be ugly as well...

This all the result of the new 2012 rules that said the nose must be lower? :?

Well done FIA! =D>

Why is it so much more effective to have a ugly bump in the nose? Isn't it better to lower the nose a little to get a better airflow above the nose?
If you born poor, it's not your mistake
But if you die poor, it's your mistake
-Bill Gates-

aleks_ader

Srabs mentioned that they risk with little higher rear crash sructure than Red BUll... Red BUll preffer low Crash Sructure to feed more efficeently starter holes cut outs expecialy during braking... That seem Caterham ignored! that could be one crucial detail... I m not judge to say that is wrong desision from Caterham, but i doubt in that!
Last edited by aleks_ader on 25 Jan 2012, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

snorri788
snorri788

Bomber_Pilot wrote:BMW had a walrus, Caterham has a crocodile 8)
I love that term "crocodile nose". Fits with some of the other animal terms that we have heard over the years.

It is indeed goppingly ugly, but I like the tight rear end. Good to see that the blade roll hoop has gone and they have gone back to a similar set up. I think that a lot of teams will be follwing the end-plate actuated DRS rather than usin a chord. Merc's DRS last year was the class of the field so we should expect many imitators.

Giblet
Giblet

I was not clear. Not the nose itself, but at the the rear of the nose, where it connects to the monocoque, has a scooped out profile between the RB6 style ridges where last year that part was smooth.

There is some AOA where there was none last year.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Vasco

afiq wrote:Side view showing the exhaust location

On the engine cover, there seems to be an outlet.

Looking at the exhausts, they seem to be in a fairly neutral position. Maybe they are trying to blow the winglet that sits on top of the rear crash structure.

aleks_ader

Vale46 wrote:
Why is it so much more effective to have a ugly bump in the nose? Isn't it better to lower the nose a little to get a better airflow above the nose?
Read my post above yours!! But We all know ideal solution doesnt exist! And secondly they keep last year push rod suspentions geometry... They just play with stering arm... Trulli last year hae huge problems with power stering, mxbe is that reason to that changes...
Last edited by aleks_ader on 25 Jan 2012, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Vasco

Vasco wrote:
afiq wrote:Side view showing the exhaust location

On the engine cover, there seems to be an outlet.

Looking at the exhausts, they seem to be in a fairly neutral position. Maybe they are trying to blow the winglet that sits on top of the rear crash structure.
Sorry thats just the other rear tyre...not an outlet on the engine cover. :oops:

Coefficient
Coefficient

Bomber_Pilot wrote:BMW had a walrus, Caterham has a crocodile 8)

Aligato Gar actually. Ask Jeremy Wade.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=river+ ... 24&bih=533

:D
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Coefficient
Coefficient

aleksandergreat wrote:
Vale46 wrote:
Read my post above yours!! But We all know ideal solution doesnt exist! And secondly they keep last year push rod suspentions geometry... They just play with stering arm... Trulli last year hae huge problems with power stering, mxbe is that reason to that changes...

I believe its something to do with the minimum surface area of the front of the tub. As the designers want to keep the underside of the nose and tub as high as possible to maintain good airflow to the front of the floor/bib splitter due to the new regulations they have to get creative with shapes. The u shape top surface takes up more of the minimum circumference of the noseconce/tub transition which means the sides of the nosecone can be shorter meaning the underside remains as high as possible.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Lurk

Comparaison with T128 (I did the best I can) + gamma slightly improved (my screen is sh**ty, I see barely something on the original pic)
not taken from the same point so difficult to say which is longer. But there should not be a lot of difference.
Last edited by Lurk on 25 Jan 2012, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

Forza

The front wing end plates seem identical to those they used last year.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Wow, the sidepods *really* are tucked in a *lot* more tightly. I'm gonna take a gamble and say, not only will they beat williams, they'll be up with Toro Roso and Sauber too.

raymondu999

beelsebob wrote:Wow, the sidepods *really* are tucked in a *lot* more tightly. I'm gonna take a gamble and say, not only will they beat williams, they'll be up with Toro Roso and Sauber too.
That's been a very clear development path they've been taking IMO. I remember how their first side pods were like two square tubes - then they introduced the Silverstone upgrade with sleeker sidepods.
Forza wrote:The front wing end plates seem identical to those they used last year.
They are. Teams don't show off the newer wings; etc on the car launch.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Lurk

Yep, they usually present the new car with their "last year - last GP" spec, which was looking exactly like that.

ringo

adrianjordan wrote:Oh god that nose is even worse than BMW's late-09 nose...

What's the next car to be revealed? McLaren isn't it? Let's hope they've done better...
That BMW nose was ahead of it's time. The table top is really the best iteration. The raised edges are really to raise the underside as much as possible, however i think this nose design may not be the best.
A car with a completely flat top may appear later. But lotus has the right idea as ugly as it is.
If we cut a cross section, we'll see Mclaren's 2011 nose.

The exhuasts look like toyota 2009 though. Must be a quick slap on to get things rolling.

dont know about it beating williams, we need a top view first.
So far the shape looks ok, just a little bit lacking in detail, but it looks like a solid design.
Last edited by ringo on 25 Jan 2012, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!