Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ferraripilot

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

I'm losing something in translation with the above article, can someone please explain the above with clarity.

What I'm getting from it is that their tea tray is flexing too much and the cars ride heights are lower while in motion and very different to their static positioning.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Ferraripilot wrote:I'm losing something in translation with the above article, can someone please explain the above with clarity.

What I'm getting from it is that their tea tray is flexing too much and the cars ride heights are lower while in motion and very different to their static positioning.
More or less. First they say FIA tests checked to make sure the t-tray didn't flex downwards to make a seal, but now they're starting to watch for flexing upwards which allows a team to run more rake while not rubbing the legality plank too much. See this article by Scarbs--> http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2011/10/14/a- ... -solution/

FTR, Omnicorse are the same ones that said Fernando ignored team orders and then reversed their stance. In other words take what they say with a grain of salt. It should be noted there's a question mark in the story title..

shelly
shelly

i have read omnicorse every now and then in the last months and they often write things that are not correct.
A couple of months ago they wrote that the shark mouth on the f138 did not exist, mocking internet forumers that saw it, and had to make a u-turn on that in 24h also. Sometimes they are spot on, also because they have good connections. they have access to some internal ferrari sources for example, and Giorgio Piola works for them.
Yesterday i put three links from omnicorse on this forum:
-the ttray issue, on which they are first, probably because of insider info
-ferrari f138 pressure pipes in the nose, in which they were after a gazzetta picture (the same guys work for oth journal) but they were much less accurate on describing it
-merc w04 floor strake, in which they made good but in my opinion not 100% good statements, on a detail first discussed here

From these three examples one can see that sometimes they are a valid source and sometimes not, as it is normal in the end, as everybody can make mistakes or get carried away (sometimes I see multimotion ducts every car).

What is interesting in my opinion is that they have connections, as another italian site (blogf1.it) does.
If you check on last year's ferrari thread you will see that on that forum there was a user that was a ferrari insider and wrote on that forum - what he said was always verified by news afterwards (for example ferrari's protest against rbr moving reservoirs before that us gp). Unfortunately I think he was called back to order and probably he is not allowed to write there anymore - or found it boring and quit.
twitter: @armchair_aero

Nando
Nando

shelly wrote:and Giorgio Piola works for them.
Same guy that designed the Ferrari "Jet fighter" that never showed up.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

PlatinumZealot

The article is the usual fear-mongering from Italy.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Gridlock

That said, Kravitz remarked that the attention paid to the Red Bull in scrutineering was unusually close.

MacX

Gridlock wrote:That said, Kravitz remarked that the attention paid to the Red Bull in scrutineering was unusually close.
only to Red Bull?

Gridlock

He happened to be reporting as the RB was in the bay, is all. I mean it as circumstantial evidence for there being something amiss, regs-wise.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

The test has always been an upward deflection test. I'm not sure what they're trying to say.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

n smikle wrote:The article is the usual fear-mongering from Italy.
The thought crossed my mind too - the three teams who are mostly likely, currently, to cause Ferrari problems are being, by insinuation, accused of being naughty. Looks like pro-Ferrari propaganda as one might expect from "their" media (just as one would expect pro-McLaren propaganda from British media for example). Nothing new here.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

shelly
shelly

Nando wrote:
shelly wrote:and Giorgio Piola works for them.
Same guy that designed the Ferrari "Jet fighter" that never showed up.
Giorgio Piola is also the same guy who anticipated that f2012 would have front pull rod, or that discovered slots in merc w02 front wing back in October 2012, or that talked about reactive front ride height device on renault /lotus in winter 2011.
I agree with you that sometimes he is wrong: for example last year he wrote on formula1.com that rb8 had slots on the rear wing that were not there, or this year also he wrote about redbull drd -but they did not have any drd on their car.

My point is that it is always worth keep an eye on these anticipations, because sometimes they are true and interesting.
Some weeks ago, after the shark-mouth ferrari picture, he was forced by harsh criticism to write on blogf1 (or maybe someone wrote using his name):
http://www.blogf1.it/2013/02/12/focus-s ... /#comments

"My it is not to make a race to see who's fastest, but try instead to make the minimum number of mistakes, and even with that aim they can always happen. I have never written in my articles (to quote the recent past) that I was the first in drawing the mercedes front f-duct, the banned lotus front suspension or ferrari's front pull rod: tha bad thing is that some internet sites (not blogf1, which i respect) at the time tried to play down my intuitions or openly copied them and showed them as a result of their abilities. [...] That said, I do not think it is nice to mock others' work. We all share the same passion, let's try to contribute together in spreading technical content for f1 followers, without looking at the worthless competition at who's first or who's smartest. I do not care about that, I just hope to be regarded as an honest worker"

I have criticized Piolaìs work in the past, and sometimes I still do, but I think what he wrote there is true anis a good lesson

stefan_
stefan_

via Formula1.com
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

shelly
shelly

Here is a good example: this is a very good picture made by Piola - effe1tech - omnicorse. It could be the fric system or not (fwiw i think it is) but nonetheless is very interesting

MacX

Have spoken to Lotus and Merc who say FIA splitter story is just that - a story! Both teams passed tests and no changes to make.
https://twitter.com/JennieGow

Huntresa
Huntresa

MacX wrote:
Have spoken to Lotus and Merc who say FIA splitter story is just that - a story! Both teams passed tests and no changes to make.
https://twitter.com/JennieGow
Yeah ofc they passed the tests cause they did race and didnt get DSQ, but that doesnt mean they wont change it, remeber Mclaren last year or was it the year before ? They had a splitter that bent but was never DSQ eventho they raced it twice.