Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

Interesting... what is the difference between the compounds?

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

MacX wrote:
k.ko100v wrote:IMO this http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2011/10/17/me ... uspension/ is their silver bullet.
I've read in a local magazine, that one of the first jobs of Aldo (when was employed to MGP), was to develop the system. The DDRS they used last year was messed the balance so much, that the benefits of that hydraulic system were not seen. Maybe this system is the key for the good mechanical grip, the team demonstrated last year, like Monte Carlo GP.

There is more: The rumours are, that Aldo has finished the system and there was a hydraulic connection, between the front and the rear axels, which makes it more avangard and with more potential.
this innovative, somehow visible? in W04?
Can you scan that? Thanks

Anon123
Anon123

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:Interesting... what is the difference between the compounds?
Obviously the difference oscillates from car to car but I've heard the difference between the soft and hard tyre around Catalunya is about a second so I assume the medium is right in the middle. I do get the impression an awful lot of sandbagging is going on though, when Eric Boullier was asked by Sky Sports F1 yesterday "Where would Lotus finish if the Spanish Grand Prix was held tomorrow?" he answered "On the podium" with a look of certainty.
Last edited by Anon123 on 23 Feb 2013, 17:03, edited 3 times in total.

Ferraripilot

I conjecture Mercedes dropped the monkey seat in late testing to balance the front end ie. understeer. If this is correct, more front wing updates to balance with the rear will probably be at the top of their list.

Just so no one understands me, I'm expecting 5th or 6th place in Australia as being immediately possible, no wins, maybe a podium. The car is good and very plain which tells me it has plenty of room for growth as the car is fundamentally a good platform. What Mercedes does with that is on them. However, W04 is in contrast with several other contenders who already appear to be near their development ceiling, but this again is a guess at best.

Ferraripilot

Anon123 wrote:
MercAMGF1Fans wrote:Interesting... what is the difference between the compounds?
Obviously the difference oscillates from car to car but I've heard the difference between the soft and hard tyre around Catalunya is about a second so I assume the medium is right in the middle.

I believe the mediums to softs was said somewhere by Pirelli to be about .800. The hards to mediums is not quite as large a gap. I wish I could recall what and where I heard this...... I'm just glad to hear drivers are not having as much issue getting heat into the tires now.

OppositeLock
OppositeLock

From complaints of burning bodywork, to worries about tire degradation. It seems as if Mercedes have checked two items off the list. Testing...testing...

PlatinumZealot

k.ko100v wrote:IMO this http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2011/10/17/me ... uspension/ is their silver bullet.
I've read in a local magazine, that one of the first jobs of Aldo (when was employed to MGP), was to develop the system. The DDRS they used last year was messed the balance so much, that the benefits of that hydraulic system were not seen. Maybe this system is the key for the good mechanical grip, the team demonstrated last year, like Monte Carlo GP.

There is more: The rumours are, that Aldo has finished the system and there was a hydraulic connection, between the front and the rear axels, which makes it more avangard and with more potential.
You mean the silver bullet that they shot themselves in the leg with?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

n smikle wrote:

Why do you think, that this is the reason, for their poor perfomance last year?

IMO the lack of rear downforce was their main problem. The rear tyres, spins too often, which heats them too much. Then they start to reduce Front DF to balance the car, and front tyres didn't warm enough, which leadst to understeer and blistering and etc. And when we put the DDRS disbalance... everything becomes a big mess.

Besides the rumours are, that this susspension is evolution of last year, and reacts faster, and maybe gives better results. I beleve, that this is one of the inovations Brawn speaks to, at the presentation of the car.

Mercedes AMG Fans: I can scan it, but this magazine is in Bulgarian language.

ringo

Ok about this system.
Do we have any F1 documentation of it?
It's hard to argue the pros and cons of it without any details on it.
For Sure!!

Phillyred
Phillyred

I fully expect Lewis to be in the top 5 for qualifying come the first GP in Australia, but reliability really concerns me. Lewis drives the wheels off his cars and we've seen his issues with reliability even with a top team like Mclaren. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Lewis has more DNF's than Rosberg by the end of 2013. Hoping not, but...

PlatinumZealot

k.ko100v wrote:
n smikle wrote:

Why do you think, that this is the reason, for their poor perfomance last year?

IMO the lack of rear downforce was their main problem. The rear tyres, spins too often, which heats them too much. Then they start to reduce Front DF to balance the car, and front tyres didn't warm enough, which leadst to understeer and blistering and etc. And when we put the DDRS disbalance... everything becomes a big mess.

Besides the rumours are, that this susspension is evolution of last year, and reacts faster, and maybe gives better results. I beleve, that this is one of the inovations Brawn speaks to, at the presentation of the car.

Mercedes AMG Fans: I can scan it, but this magazine is in Bulgarian language.
Aldo has came out and said that the system is unnecessarily over complicated hence it is difficult to get the full benefit from it. Remember Mercedes still burnt tyres like no tomorrow and had major balance issues last year with their interlinked system. You can see like the Front wing DDRS it obviously was a distraction from more important things.

PlatinumZealot

Phillyred wrote:I fully expect Lewis to be in the top 5 for qualifying come the first GP in Australia, but reliability really concerns me. Lewis drives the wheels off his cars and we've seen his issues with reliability even with a top team like Mclaren. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Lewis has more DNF's than Rosberg by the end of 2013. Hoping not, but...
The car was unreliable. You really think a driver can destroy a computer modulated gearbox and destroy a fuel pickup? Even Schumacher 8 DNF's last year were not down to him, and he is known as one of the best car nursers around.

John192
John192

n smikle wrote:The car was unreliable. You really think a driver can destroy a computer modulated gearbox and destroy a fuel pickup? Even Schumacher 8 DNF's last year were not down to him, and he is known as one of the best car nursers around.
Well firstly i would like to say i am not saying Lewis does or did cause car problems but a driver can very much influence the cars reliability. Messing your gear changes, bouncing over the curbs and many other things a driver can do could cause the issues you mention.

Also the Schumacher example is just wrong because i can name at least 2 of his DNF's that were his fault

clipsy1H

John192 wrote:
n smikle wrote:The car was unreliable. You really think a driver can destroy a computer modulated gearbox and destroy a fuel pickup? Even Schumacher 8 DNF's last year were not down to him, and he is known as one of the best car nursers around.
Well firstly i would like to say i am not saying Lewis does or did cause car problems but a driver can very much influence the cars reliability. Messing your gear changes, bouncing over the curbs and many other things a driver can do could cause the issues you mention.

Also the Schumacher example is just wrong because i can name at least 2 of his DNF's that were his fault
](*,) you can name just 2 mistake for Michael (Barcelona and Singapore)... so if in Australia gearbox stop work it's Lewis fault? :lol: or if DRS remain open?

by the way according with this -> http://www.crash.net/f1/news/188277/1/h ... ances.html
car is around 1 sec off the pace.

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

Even LMP1 car can take kerbs hard now. F1 cars are design to take kerbs agressively.