Marussia MR02 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
Huntresa
54
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by Huntresa » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:27 pm

kilcoo316 wrote:
Coefficient wrote:Well, with Marussia appearing to be quicker than Caterham so far it goes to show how important it is to get a big name engineer on board!!! Pat Symonds was a bit of a score for this minnow of a team!!
Mark Smith is also a pretty big name designer at Caterham.

J197
J199
R24
R25

Not bad cars.
Wasnt he always under Mike tho ? And sure he and Mike did some good cars but Mike has utterly failed with Caterham, i mean its not fair to compare Jordan to Caterham but i cant see Jordan having very much money compared to Mclaren and Ferrari back in the late 90s, so it could be compared. Back then he did OK designs but havent rly done anything gr8 with Caterham.

stefan_
815
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:43 am
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by stefan_ » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:13 pm

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

alex aero
0
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:39 am

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by alex aero » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:24 am

Image
Image

Here you can see the new front wing with a new profile and new endplates. There is also a change to the nose which doesn´t have the humb on the bottom any more. Seems that they found more downforce on the front and need more airflow under the nose to get more downforce on the rear.

roadie
42
User avatar
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by roadie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:19 pm

I want the team to beat Caterham. The car looks so basic though! Hard to imagine it being faster than Caterham, despite having the boost KERS provides. The new front wing looks better though.

350matt
1
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 11:18 am

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by 350matt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:43 pm

roadie wrote:I want the team to beat Caterham. The car looks so basic though! Hard to imagine it being faster than Caterham, despite having the boost KERS provides. The new front wing looks better though.
been quicker than caterham in testing so far tho....

Forza
272
User avatar
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by Forza » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:05 pm

MR02 at BCN T03 - Day 2 - Flow vis run with new FW
Image
Via ScarbsF1

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Ozan
2
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:50 am

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by Ozan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:06 pm

does Cosworth unit support off-throttle blowing?

Neno
-28
User avatar
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 12:41 am

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by Neno » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:25 pm

Ozan wrote:does Cosworth unit support off-throttle blowing?
i dont want to be too hard on Cosworth as engine supplier, but they have worst engine on grid, it's big, not much effective as others, bad for packaging and i could say too old and undevoloped. So i would say probably their engine is not optimised to support off-throttle blowing. Also Cosworth is 99% after this year out from F1, they didnt announce any plans for new V6 and at end of year losing only customer, in this case Marussia.

wesley123
214
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by wesley123 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:58 pm

Bodywork seems tighter than at the launch too, back at the first test the car was really, really fat, now it looks much tighter.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Petroltorque
6
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:18 pm

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by Petroltorque » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:28 am

I think all engines, including Cosworth support cold blowing. I agree the packaging of the unit puts the team at a slight disadvantage. But Marussia with the Cosworth clearly have a faster package than Caterham.
Cosworth as an independent just don't have the mega bucks to produce a V6/ERS engine. Having said that the loss of any engine supplier is not good for F1 since only 3 suppliers provides an advantage for one supplier. One has to hope that Honda really decides to come back next year.

Forza
272
User avatar
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by Forza » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:26 am

F1 test - BCN T03 - Day 3

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Day 4
Image
Image
Image

steve12345
0
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 2:11 am

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by steve12345 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:48 am

Neno wrote:
Ozan wrote:does Cosworth unit support off-throttle blowing?
i dont want to be too hard on Cosworth as engine supplier, but they have worst engine on grid, it's big, not much effective as others, bad for packaging and i could say too old and undevoloped. So i would say probably their engine is not optimised to support off-throttle blowing. Also Cosworth is 99% after this year out from F1, they didnt announce any plans for new V6 and at end of year losing only customer, in this case Marussia.
Does anyone have the actual dimensions compared to all other f1 2006-2013 engines?

I think cosworths biggest problem is that it gets placed in rubbish cars.

It will be pretty cool if the cosworth powered Marussia beats the renault powered caterham.

wesley123
214
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by wesley123 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:39 am

steve12345 wrote:
Neno wrote:
Ozan wrote:does Cosworth unit support off-throttle blowing?
i dont want to be too hard on Cosworth as engine supplier, but they have worst engine on grid, it's big, not much effective as others, bad for packaging and i could say too old and undevoloped. So i would say probably their engine is not optimised to support off-throttle blowing. Also Cosworth is 99% after this year out from F1, they didnt announce any plans for new V6 and at end of year losing only customer, in this case Marussia.
Does anyone have the actual dimensions compared to all other f1 2006-2013 engines?

I think cosworths biggest problem is that it gets placed in rubbish cars.

It will be pretty cool if the cosworth powered Marussia beats the renault powered caterham.
Which it did already last year but got unlucky in Brazil.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Forza
272
User avatar
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by Forza » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:32 am

Australian GP - Wednesday - 13/3/2013
Image
Image
Image
Image

F1 Australian GP - Friday FP - 15/3/2013
Image
Image
Image
Image

HiRes:
http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 054.21.jpg
http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 054.78.jpg

siwillems
0
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:55 pm

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

Post by siwillems » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:55 pm

Is anybody aware of Marussias upgrade / development plan over the cominng season? The car i thought looked quite reasonable and looks like it could be a fairly decent platform for them to work with and develop as the season progresses.
Da de dum, de da da dum.
Da de dum, de da da duh!!!