Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
poolboy67

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

taperoo2k wrote: I expect they've got different packaging solutions ready should cooling be an issue. Though I don't expect it will be an issue, Honda have had enough time to develop the power unit alongside McLaren. Though we shall find out on Sunday.
i wouldn't be so sure about having optional packages at ready. again, red bull didn't have. remember how they had to duct tape tubes out of the sidepods! and mercedes is a whole other animal in terms of being a manufacturer. they basicly have as much money as they want to develope their engine, and they had started as early as 2010! i think honda started their development in late 2012 IIRC. that's two years of dev time from a manufacturer from a country that's in not so good economic state. merc had 4 years, and some sources said they used 135 mil pounds to develope their engine! thats crazy!

i don't think honda has used that much money to their engine. same goes with ferrari and renault. and it kinda shows with those two.
i predict hard times for mclaren in the early days of the test season. and a slow start to the season.

on other stuff.
i think they're hiding alot of stuff like the brake ducts and the rear wing support. i mean it doesn't even have a monkey seat, which was standard on all cars at the end of last season!

does that rear trailing arm look like it's edge is tilted upwards? mushroom arms are gone i'm sure. gosh that's a really tidy and tight shape they've got to it. i hope this wont cause cooling problems.
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

dren

I don't see why it wouldn't be. Scarbs even hinted at some of the noses being this way. The last successful Mclarens had low noses.
Honda!

kakogohrena
kakogohrena

KingHamilton01

That panel above the nose Is hiding a exit vent, could be in a configuration to hide certain thing's from other team's and prying eyes!
McLaren Mercedes

Ferraripilot

The rearmost part of the upper a-arm appears to have a flap spanning the area inboard of the rear wing pylons. I plan on seeing plenty of variations of this over the course of the season.

f1rules
f1rules

well it seems this actually was the nose sketched on thoose drawings if i remember correctly no?

Rhodium

there is the most beautiful car i have seen since loooong time !

wow, i'm really in love.

siskue2005

:!:
KingHamilton01 wrote:
That panel above the nose Is hiding a exit vent, could be in a configuration to hide certain thing's from other team's and prying eyes!
i also think it is an s-duct
Last edited by siskue2005 on 29 Jan 2015, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

poolboy67

KingHamilton01 wrote:
they are hiding stuff that's for sure. more than usual.
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

KingHamilton01

poolboy67 wrote:
taperoo2k wrote: I expect they've got different packaging solutions ready should cooling be an issue. Though I don't expect it will be an issue, Honda have had enough time to develop the power unit alongside McLaren. Though we shall find out on Sunday.
i wouldn't be so sure about having optional packages at ready. again, red bull didn't have. remember how they had to duct tape tubes out of the sidepods! and mercedes is a whole other animal in terms of being a manufacturer. they basicly have as much money as they want to develope their engine, and they had started as early as 2010! i think honda started their development in late 2012 IIRC. that's two years of dev time from a manufacturer from a country that's in not so good economic state. merc had 4 years, and some sources said they used 135 mil pounds to develope their engine! thats crazy!

i don't think honda has used that much money to their engine. same goes with ferrari and renault. and it kinda shows with those two.
i predict hard times for mclaren in the early days of the test season. and a slow start to the season.

on other stuff.
i think they're hiding alot of stuff like the brake ducts and the rear wing support. i mean it doesn't even have a monkey seat, which was standard on all cars at the end of last season!

does that rear trailing arm look like it's edge is tilted upwards? mushroom arms are gone i'm sure. gosh that's a really tidy and tight shape they've got to it. i hope this wont cause cooling problems.

Wow so negative and the first test hasn't even started yet, maybe Honda turn up to the first test and prove a lot of people wrong. But until they have actually run, this is all speculation!
McLaren Mercedes

CBeck113
CBeck113

Thunders wrote:There is PP written all over that Car. 8)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Thunder

I'm curious what they hide in terms of Monkey Seat Development.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

poolboy67 wrote:

That's because Red Bull were very late on designing and building the RB10 last year and they don't appear to have been singing from the same hymn sheet as Renault. So we could see something entirely different with McLaren and Honda. As far as money goes ? It's always nice to have a lot of money to develop a power unit/engine. However Mercedes could have quite easily got it wrong and had egg on their faces. If Honda have got the basic design of the power unit right and the cooling packages they've developed with McLaren work then they'll have a stable platform to run through the tests.
It's hard to say and again money really isn't an issue. If the design is not correct it doesn't matter how much money you chuck at it. Hiring the right engineers etc is far more important. Which is probably part of why Mercedes spent so much on their power train. McLaren will definitely face teething troubles and I doubt we'll get an idea of it's true pace until the first race weekend. The Abu Dhabi test may have given McLaren and Honda the info they needed to correct the troubles they would have otherwise faced in Jerez.
on other stuff.
They were never going to bolt everything on and release high resolution pictures of the MP4-30. We will probably see a lot of differences when Alonso hits the track on Sunday. And of course they are hiding stuff, I expect we'll see a slightly different nose on Sunday.
Scarbs doesn't think there is room for the mushroom arms. https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/560773198590263297

CBeck113
CBeck113

Looks like they're using the lower suspension arms to create two small diffusors on top of the main diffusor, especiall with the flip-up toward the outside.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

iotar__

Mesteño wrote:I find it very similar to RB 10
1. More like like one of earlier Marussia cars. 2. Not a car but rendering.