Red Bull RB13 TAG Heuer

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ripper
ripper

Re: Red Bull RB13 TAG Heuer

My spanish isn't that good but:

"Interesante, si estan en la misma escala, el RBull tiene el + corto entre ejes. Esto adelanta el C d Presión Aero !"

Interesting, if [the pictures] are in the same scale RB has the smallest [wheelbase] between them. This moves forward the C [center? or something technical related to aerodynamic? i don't know] of Aero Pression [could be Downforce].

"Le sigue Ferrari c muy poca diferencia y luego el MercF1 el mas largo. El entre ejes + corto reduce el understeer !"

Ferrari comes after it with very small difference [he means that FER car is slightly longer than RB] and then MER is the longer. The smaller internal/inner axis [sorry i don't know exactly how to translate it] reduces understeer!

"Newey siempre esta al frente de todos los desarrollos en nuevos diseños. Lastima no tener un motor + eficiente."

Newey is always on top when developing new designs. A pity they don't have a better PU.

I might have done some mistakes, maybe some spanish native user can correct me

SiLo

The centre of pressure moves forwards, so the point in which the car is pushed to the ground on average will be further forward than the Mercedes.
Felipe Baby!

f1316
f1316

ripper wrote:My spanish isn't that good but:

"Interesante, si estan en la misma escala, el RBull tiene el + corto entre ejes. Esto adelanta el C d Presión Aero !"

Interesting, if [the pictures] are in the same scale RB has the smallest [wheelbase] between them. This moves forward the C [center? or something technical related to aerodynamic? i don't know] of Aero Pression [could be Downforce].

"Le sigue Ferrari c muy poca diferencia y luego el MercF1 el mas largo. El entre ejes + corto reduce el understeer !"

Ferrari comes after it with very small difference [he means that FER car is slightly longer than RB] and then MER is the longer. The smaller internal/inner axis [sorry i don't know exactly how to translate it] reduces understeer!

"Newey siempre esta al frente de todos los desarrollos en nuevos diseños. Lastima no tener un motor + eficiente."

Newey is always on top when developing new designs. A pity they don't have a better PU.

I might have done some mistakes, maybe some spanish native user can correct me
Awesome, many thanks!

Funny how before the season all the talk was of longer wheelbase being good; now that the red bull doesn't have one, it's automatically not good :)

Ultimately it's a trade off, really, and we'll see how it goes; it may well be that there's more potential for development in the Mercedes (more room on which to produce downforce) but I still maintain it'll be a disadvantage on the twistier circuits like Monaco.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

couple of shots of the diffuser I took at turn 10 last week
(Right-click for hi-res)

roon
roon

Found a couple photos of the RB12 & RB13 taken from a similar angle & focal length. Many things to note. We can see:

•how the nose-hole adds free space beneath an otherwise similarly shaped nose
•the differing slopes of the sidepods
•longer suspension arms
•a thicker airbox base present on the RB13
•change of camera positions

Last edited by roon on 14 Mar 2017, 03:46, edited 2 times in total.

DiogoBrand

roon wrote:Found a couple photos of the RB12 & RB13 taken from a similar angle & focal length.

https://s12.postimg.org/66fbh7t59/image.jpg

https://s12.postimg.org/nxqxvo8jx/image.jpg
Strangely, what grabbed my attention the most was the shape of the sidepods.

SR71

DiogoBrand wrote:
roon wrote:Found a couple photos of the RB12 & RB13 taken from a similar angle & focal length.

https://s12.postimg.org/66fbh7t59/image.jpg

https://s12.postimg.org/nxqxvo8jx/image.jpg
Strangely, what grabbed my attention the most was the shape of the sidepods.
Zero lift sloped side pods.

The surfaces blend to almost vertical walls immediately after the pods and before any of the other teams are.

Also they run almost no undercut at the rear.

My hypothesis is Newey has gone for extreme vertical walls to deliver the most clean air possible over the top of the rear diffuser.

Is see RB at the sharp end of efficient downforce this year, more so than ever before.

I suspect they have as much rear DF as the other teams while being less draggy.

Combine that with straight line DF stalling and we might have a true rocket ship from RB.

Mr.G

Alonsofor2017 wrote:... Also Riccardo was asked if he might have a race winning car in Melbourne and he answered maybe with a smile. ...
He always smiles :D
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

zac510
zac510

roon wrote:Found a couple photos of the RB12 & RB13 taken from a similar angle & focal length. Many things to note. We can see:

•longer suspension arms
I never noticed it until you posted these images, but look how much the driver's helmet is infront of the air inlet (I don't want to say it's blocking the inlet because I don't know how the air moves here). That really is unusual for a modern generation car and drivers who are not so tall.
Hard to tell whether it brings down the overall height of the airbox because the inlet is obviously so much larger.

Juzh

SR71 wrote:Combine that with straight line DF stalling and we might have a true rocket ship from RB.
Lol, now that I'd like to see.

JonoNic

Re: RE: Re: Red Bull RB13 TAG Heuer

zac510 wrote:
roon wrote:Found a couple photos of the RB12 & RB13 taken from a similar angle & focal length. Many things to note. We can see:

•longer suspension arms
I never noticed it until you posted these images, but look how much the driver's helmet is infront of the air inlet (I don't want to say it's blocking the inlet because I don't know how the air moves here). That really is unusual for a modern generation car and drivers who are not so tall.
Hard to tell whether it brings down the overall height of the airbox because the inlet is obviously so much larger.
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58c7c792de4 ... 9406f.jpg?

90s F1 cars used to use the same height airbox.

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk
Always find the gap then use it.

bucker
bucker

So what are the options that this car was just a mule?
I am reading some articles that this car was just a test mule with which they test corelations between their simulator and on track situation. Dr. Helmut Marko said, that for them it was "not necesary" to be present in Barcelona to evaluate their car, they wanted to see where they stand with their competiton. So is it possible that they were just checking how good those simulations were, so they can now know how much they can rely on. Like some articles said, they are developing something special for Melbourne, which is not going to be so special for normal viewers Horner said. But we can expect some gains .

zac510
zac510

Re: RE: Re: Red Bull RB13 TAG Heuer

JonoNic wrote:
zac510 wrote: I never noticed it until you posted these images, but look how much the driver's helmet is infront of the air inlet (I don't want to say it's blocking the inlet because I don't know how the air moves here). That really is unusual for a modern generation car and drivers who are not so tall.
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58c7c792de4 ... 9406f.jpg?

90s F1 cars used to use the same height airbox.
Yes but that was 25 years ago - not really what I'd call this generation!
I don't think I've seen an airbox with helmet in the way for 10 years, and even then only with tall drivers like Webber, Wilson etc

lio007

bucker wrote:So what are the options that this car was just a mule?
I am reading some articles that this car was just a test mule with which they test corelations between their simulator and on track situation. Dr. Helmut Marko said, that for them it was "not necesary" to be present in Barcelona to evaluate their car, they wanted to see where they stand with their competiton. So is it possible that they were just checking how good those simulations were, so they can now know how much they can rely on. Like some articles said, they are developing something special for Melbourne, which is not going to be so special for normal viewers Horner said. But we can expect some gains .
Although I'm a RBR-supporter, I think all these "news" of bringing a complete different car to Melbourne are a bit hyped by the media. I think there is quite a bit of speculation involved.
But nevertheless, IF they'd bring a huge update, it's great.

Sieper

I too don't think they will have a totally different car, this is it and clearly a lot of thinking has gone in to it. The wording by the RB management team, big surprise, not visual to the uninformed leads me to speculate they still might have some novel idea with the bottom plate, the diffusor, or even the exhaust gasses? that hey have kept hidden, if anything at all ("not so easily visible") and this just might be a trick to keep the others guessing whilst the truth is already out there.

To me the car seems so clean, the open nose (never is air hitting any object head-on broader then a plate of carbon) the open feet of the pitot tube, no windscreen, an S duct, almost no things like the nostrils, intricate multi plate, cut in barge boards, weird side pods with top openings. A super tight body, indeed the air intake is the lowest down (is there a rule on car height?) of all the cars, the side pods with curving down immediately and then cut in as aggressively as possible, even vertical sided past the immediate intake. A tire squirt hole. The whole car just looks super clean to me. Appendages might work wonders, but they might also just be costing you drag and not delivering as much benefit as a car into which this has been designed as a concept. I am of course hoping for a Newey stroke of genius as I am hoping Redbull to be totally competitive.