Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zioture
zioture

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

M840TR
M840TR

In his notebook Ted said the car doesn't seem to work well on tracks which extensively use the left front wheel, i.e lots of right hand corners like Barcelona. Not sure how true this is but the lack of downforce and excessive rear tyre wear are very similar to how it was back in Spain.

djos

I wonder why they ran such a large rear wing compared to Mercedes and RedBull? It seemed to really hurt their pace.
"In downforce we trust"

SiLo

I think Mercs lower downforce trim, or medium in this case is just really well designed so they still have very good pace in faster corners.
Felipe Baby!

M840TR
M840TR

santos
santos

:shock: It's like they had a wall attached to the rear compared with last year...

MtthsMlw

I guess they tried to better manage the tyres and S3. It did work but it was obviously not enough to beat Merc.

Sevach
Sevach

djos wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 13:26
I wonder why they ran such a large rear wing compared to Mercedes and RedBull? It seemed to really hurt their pace.
Their new FW might be producing too much downforce(yes there is such a thing).

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

I suspect that it's because this track is notoriously easy on tyre and as we've seen in the past they're struggling to get temperature in the rears. More downforce means that they're pushing the tyre into the track harder which will generate more heat. Perhaps, that was the only way they could get the tyres hot enough to be in the window.

It'll be a different story in suzuka I would imagine.

lucafo

M840TR wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 10:30
In his notebook Ted said the car doesn't seem to work well on tracks which extensively use the left front wheel, i.e lots of right hand corners like Barcelona. Not sure how true this is but the lack of downforce and excessive rear tyre wear are very similar to how it was back in Spain.
If so, that means they will have similar problems at Japan.
It will be interesting to follow.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

One thing to note is the cleaner path air has to reach the rear wing on the 2017 car.

2018 car has a halo and wider Airbox above the drivers head meaning less clean airflow to the rear wing.

It's possible that they've run a bigger rear wing than before to compensate.

But then the front wing also has a much steeper angle too.

Maybe they came to Sochi expecting to not actually have a power advantage and to have to follow other cars in dirty air. So they chose wings that would work better in dirty air.

bosyber
bosyber

AMuS: Ferrari FIA sensor and power advantage (in German, here a translated quote):
The competition's GPS data shows it clearly: Ferrari's advantage on the straight has disappeared since two races. Did Mercedes catch up or did Ferrari have to turn down Power? And what role does a new FIA sensor on the Ferrari play?
So maybe they did indeed lose some power to Mercedes, which would explain some of why they are struggling, relatively speaking.

Still, I also agree the car doesn't seem to have that broad setup window now (and the big rear wing might be indicative of problems getting the balance, and tyre heating, right).

turbof1

Friendly reminder that livery talk belongs in the team thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26913&start=645. Posts with pictures with the sole intent to show off the new livery have to go to the team thread as well. Pictures focussed on parts which shows the new livery, are of course allowed here. No livery talk has been present in this car topic up to now, which I really appreciate. Just wanted to keep it that way given Ferrari will supposedly have significant livery changes.
#AeroFrodo

MtthsMlw

Not the best picture by Albert Fabrega but I tried to brighten it up a little bit.
You can the see the bare upper crash structure which is (unlike last year) not really integrated into the bodywork.

simieski
simieski

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13911 ... rom-suzuka

Desperation setting in, having to resort to boy racer go faster stripes to get back on terms with Mercedes!
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.