Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

simieski wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 13:02
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13911 ... rom-suzuka

Desperation setting in, having to resort to boy racer go faster stripes to get back on terms with Mercedes!
turbof1 wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 12:04
Friendly reminder that livery talk belongs in the team thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26913&start=645. Posts with pictures with the sole intent to show off the new livery have to go to the team thread as well. Pictures focussed on parts which shows the new livery, are of course allowed here. No livery talk has been present in this car topic up to now, which I really appreciate. Just wanted to keep it that way given Ferrari will supposedly have significant livery changes.
Literally 2 posts above...
#AeroFrodo

CLKGTR
CLKGTR

Medium-low downforce rear wing for Suzuka

santos
santos

Humm is that really from a Ferrari? I don't remember to see publicity on the rear wing this year.

cplchanb
cplchanb

santos wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 14:49
Humm is that really from a Ferrari? I don't remember to see publicity on the rear wing this year.
EDIT:
thats their new Phillip morris branding and livery. How they convinced the fia to let them have tobacco branding....well...its anyones guess...
Last edited by cplchanb on 03 Oct 2018, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

gastonmazzacane

cplchanb wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 15:52
santos wrote:
thats their new steve morris branding and livery. How they convinced the fia to let them have tobacco branding....well...its anyones guess...
Do you mean Philip Morris?

Big Tea

gastonmazzacane wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 15:57
cplchanb wrote:
santos wrote:
thats their new steve morris branding and livery. How they convinced the fia to let them have tobacco branding....well...its anyones guess...
Do you mean Philip Morris?
AH!, back door advertising by pseudonym recognition. Very clever. :evil:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

F1NAC

cplchanb wrote:
santos wrote:
it's not tobacco branding.

The logo belongs to Mission Winnow.
Electronic publications, downloadable; batteries for electronic cigarettes; batteries for electronic devices that are used for heating tobacco, chargers for electronic devices that are used for heating tobacco; USB chargers for electronic devices that are used for heating tobacco; car chargers for electronic cigarettes; car chargers for devices that are used for heating tobacco; battery chargers for electronic cigarettes
they produce batteries for e-cigarettes

subcritical71

F1NAC wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 17:07
cplchanb wrote:
santos wrote:
it's not tobacco branding.

The logo belongs to Mission Winnow.
Electronic publications, downloadable; batteries for electronic cigarettes; batteries for electronic devices that are used for heating tobacco, chargers for electronic devices that are used for heating tobacco; USB chargers for electronic devices that are used for heating tobacco; car chargers for electronic cigarettes; car chargers for devices that are used for heating tobacco; battery chargers for electronic cigarettes
they produce batteries for e-cigarettes
Makes sense, I can clearly see Mission on the upper wing, but the lower one is a bit more elusive.

siskue2005

CLKGTR wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 13:12

what happened to their swan neck supports? :o

MtthsMlw

siskue2005 wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 19:34
CLKGTR wrote:

https://maxf1.net/wp-content/uploads/20 ... -Photo.jpg
We've seen that on the SF70h a couple of times but not yet on this year's car. Maybe that's a 2017 RW to test the new livery?

garyjpaterson

MtthsMlw wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 19:47
siskue2005 wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 19:34
CLKGTR wrote:

https://maxf1.net/wp-content/uploads/20 ... -Photo.jpg
We've seen that on the SF70h a couple of times but not yet on this year's car. Maybe that's a 2017 RW to test the new livery?
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... detail.jpg
Yep I reckon thats correct. Things like the DRS mechanism strut (no idea what its actually called) is different on this years car.

f1316
f1316

bosyber wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 12:27
AMuS: Ferrari FIA sensor and power advantage (in German, here a translated quote):
The competition's GPS data shows it clearly: Ferrari's advantage on the straight has disappeared since two races. Did Mercedes catch up or did Ferrari have to turn down Power? And what role does a new FIA sensor on the Ferrari play?
So maybe they did indeed lose some power to Mercedes, which would explain some of why they are struggling, relatively speaking.

Still, I also agree the car doesn't seem to have that broad setup window now (and the big rear wing might be indicative of problems getting the balance, and tyre heating, right).
Again, as has been said here all season, I think they’re completely missing the point about where the speed comes from. It isn’t purely engine - it’s traction + drag.

Mercedes have made a massive leap on traction in the past 2-3 races - they’ve said so themselves and their updates to rear suspension etc. clearly indicate a focus on that aspect (as does the fact they’re suddenly competitive at tracks like Russia and Singapore); their new rear wing supports - a copy of Ferrari’s - almost certainly speaks to drag.

The Ferrari engine is strong but I highly doubt it was ever more powerful than the Mercedes - Mercedes themselves also noted that the Ferrari derated at Spa first - rather it was evident from the very beginning that Ferrari had built a very slippery car; Mercedes have likely caught up enough for it to swing the other way.

CLKGTR
CLKGTR

Yes, you were right, that was 2017 RW with old pillars and DRS actuator.

This spoon shaped, much deeper rear wing is more like 2018 F1 SF71H. Why do they run more rear wing than in 2017, first Sochi, than Suzuka again? Maybe car is less draggy than in 2017, maybe more power so they can afford it...

MtthsMlw

Small floor update. Not sure if it is new this weekend.

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare