Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

So, did the mystery buttons on the steering wheel suddenly disappear?

garyjpaterson

Nonserviam85 wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 18:36
Or was it a Seb thing only? Not sure, but that looks like Kimi's car.

siskue2005

Nonserviam85 wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 18:36

FERRARIS SECRET LAUNCH BUTTON

Ferrari had been experiencing unusually competitive race starts for several races (Hockenheim, Silverstone) before Sky F1s Anthony Davidson spotted both Ferrari drivers holding an "invisible" button while waiting for the lights to go out. Immediately after this was broadcast, Ferrari seemed to lose their advantage off of the line.

So what is this button and what does it do?

Davidson posited that the button may have a role in clutch release off the start however the Ferrari is fitted with a clutch paddle on the steering wheel, the rules on clutch actuation cover dual methods of actuation.

"9.2.1 If multiple clutch operating devices are used, they must all have the same mechanical travel characteristics and be mapped identically."

It can also be seen in the video link that Vettel briefly removes his thumb from the button then places it back onto the button while waiting for the lights to go out and the car does not move. So if it is not the clutch then what else could it be?

While waiting on the start line at part throttle, the engine is spinning quite quickly but under very little load, i.e there is relatively little air flowing into the engine and combustion gases exiting the engine into the turbocharger. This will have the result of a slow turbocharger speed and low boost pressure immediately after the clutch is disengaged.

The MGU K cannot legally provide assistance until the car reaches 100kph and so the initial launch is completely dependant on the power transmitted from the internal combustion engine. Up until the car is traction limited, an increase in boost pressure will result in an improved race start.

There are no rules explicitly preventing a team installing a button allowing the driver to manually activate the MGU-H and spin the turbo up to a working speed. Holding such a button until the lights go out would result in zero turbo lag and instantaneous maximum boost pressure.

Of course, if you were fitting a button to the steering wheel which is only used two or three times per race, provides a performance advantage off the start line and you didn't particularly want your competitors to know you were doing such a thing it would make sense to install it underneath the steering wheel grip to create a barely perceptible lump.

Until an eagle eyed pundit spots it...

🎥 https://streamable.com/dr0bu

garyjpaterson wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 18:42

Or was it a Seb thing only? Not sure, but that looks like Kimi's car.
in the video above Ant says Kimi has it on the right side

Is it allowed to to use clutch as an extra button? i thought all clutches should be mechanical?

timbo
timbo

siskue2005 wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 07:03
i thought all clutches should be mechanical?
I believe, there are no mechanical links from the paddles.

MtthsMlw

This L shape element on the bottom of the wheel hub is new for this weekend.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Seems a pretty poor attempt to explain it to be honest, the ECU knows when it's on the startline for a launch, if you wanted to raise the MGU-H rpm you'd just do in the map, no need for a secret button. Someone is clutching at straws for an article.

kalinka
kalinka

timbo wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 07:52
siskue2005 wrote:
Can they use this button as a mechanical limiter for the clutch paddle to keep it close to the bite point at start?
I mean..when they push this button it can have a pin going trough the steering wheel, and limit how much you can pull the paddle on the other side ...I know it's a very, very wild theory...but what if?

siskue2005

PhillipM wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 09:22
Seems a pretty poor attempt to explain it to be honest, the ECU knows when it's on the startline for a launch, if you wanted to raise the MGU-H rpm you'd just do in the map, no need for a secret button. Someone is clutching at straws for an article.
i believe the map is locked for lap 1 and can only change it after that.... which was explained when spain 2016 crash occurred and how much Nico lost to Lewis....so such device is useful?

timbo
timbo

kalinka wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 09:26
timbo wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 07:52
siskue2005 wrote:
Can they use this button as a mechanical limiter for the clutch paddle to keep it close to the bite point at start?
I mean..when they push this button it can have a pin going trough the steering wheel, and limit how much you can pull the paddle on the other side ...I know it's a very, very wild theory...but what if?
I don't think it is compatible with this article of the tech regs
9.2.2 Designs which allow specific points along the travel range of the clutch operating device to be identified by the driver or assist him to hold a position are not permitted
On the other hand, I found that MGU-H can be clutched. So maybe the button operates the clutch for the MGU-H?

kalinka
kalinka

Thanks timbo, I wasn't aware of that rule.

pimpwerx
pimpwerx

timbo wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 10:15
On the other hand, I found that MGU-H can be clutched. So maybe the button operates the clutch for the MGU-H?
In that situation, the button could engage the clutch at the line, to spin up the turbo, and then disengaged when the lights go out, to let the turbo be blown by the exhaust normally, and use the ECU to manage the MGUs. Would that be correct?

PhillipM
PhillipM

siskue2005 wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 09:58
i believe the map is locked for lap 1 and can only change it after that.... which was explained when spain 2016 crash occurred and how much Nico lost to Lewis....so such device is useful?

Doesn't matter if the map is locked, you're not going to encounter another situation where you're stationary on the grid with the revs raised and the clutch in. And if you were you probably want the same thing anyway.

Sierra117

From FP3 hopefully the airflow from the front wing is a bit visible

NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

F1NAC

They used new spec FW from Russia and I think floor with new slot but they didn't use McLaren style RW endplates

MtthsMlw

F1NAC wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 11:31
They used new spec FW from Russia and I think floor with new slot but they didn't use McLaren style RW endplates
Good catch. In FP3 they were playing around with them.