Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dans79

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Like your mother or grandmother probably said, it's what's on the inside that counts! To be clear, I don't just mean the PU.
197 104 103 7

Unc1eM0nty

F1Krof wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 20:47
Wtf? Why would they do this? Come one there's gonna be something they're trying to hide in plain sight! (or I'm crazy to think that).
What is he really giving away, slimmer side pods, raised front suspension, nothing that isn't mentioned on the first couple of pages of this thread.

NathanOlder

I like how he states how last years car wouldn't stand a chance against the new one, It would be obliterated! That sounds like quite a performance increase.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Moose
Moose

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 23:02
I like how he states how last years car wouldn't stand a chance against the new one, It would be obliterated! That sounds like quite a performance increase.
I mean, quarter of a second from sidepods alone is a pretty big increase, given that the car was already substantially faster at the end of the season.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

0.25s just from the slimmer sidepod around the engine. Amazing, really.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

Indeed, why oh why cant all the teams do a qualy sim tomorrow all at the same time [-o<
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

F1Krof

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 22:42
F1Krof wrote:
Wtf? Why would they do this? Come one there's gonna be something they're trying to hide in plain sight! (or I'm crazy to think that).
What is he really giving away, slimmer side pods, raised front suspension, nothing that isn't mentioned on the first couple of pages of this thread.
Yes however, I've never seen a side by side comparison of two actual cars, the latter being launched a week ago! Just doesn't make sense for them to be so blatant. Probably they're trying to hide something, or trying to send the sight some place else I would guess.

Come on, let's just be honest, when's the last time you've seen something like this? I just don't buy it.
Wroom wroom

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

James Allison comes across well in the video. Speaks well to camera. I could see him as a TV pundit in future should he wish to.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle
Jolle

F1Krof wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 23:50
Unc1eM0nty wrote:
F1Krof wrote:
Yes however, I've never seen a side by side comparison of two actual cars, the latter being launched a week ago! Just doesn't make sense for them to be so blatant. Probably they're trying to hide something, or trying to send the sight some place else I would guess.

Come on, let's just be honest, when's the last time you've seen something like this? I just don't buy it.
aero on these cars is so detailed these days, all done in CFD and work together with the whole concept, that even detailed photo's wouldn't really make a difference. Just look at the Ferrari compared to the Mercedes. Just the positioning of the lower wishbones make the whole flow around the car so different that any copying is a waste of time.
It would be different if Mercedes showed their raised wishbones during the summer of '16, since then it's locked in for the next couple of years.

krizalid1001
krizalid1001

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 23:02
They really seem very, very confident this year. Can't wait for OZ to see the real performance of this beast

Unc1eM0nty

Jolle wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 23:57
F1Krof wrote:
Unc1eM0nty wrote:

aero on these cars is so detailed these days, all done in CFD and work together with the whole concept, that even detailed photo's wouldn't really make a difference. Just look at the Ferrari compared to the Mercedes. Just the positioning of the lower wishbones make the whole flow around the car so different that any copying is a waste of time.
Exactly there are no short cuts, pointing out their improvements isn't going to help the other teams, nothing on these cars are modular, everything is bespoke but designed to work as an overall package. Its not plug and play, if other teams want to copy then they still have to do all the hard work to make it happen.

I agree I've never seen a team do a comparison like this before, I think its great for the fans, but they're only telling us about things we can already see.

Mr.G

F1Krof wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfBOxwSNg6s
This is obvious Liberty Media video, let me explain...

- In begging they explain for the common viewer the obvious changes and try t explain why they have been done (halo saafety, t-wing missing, shark fin missing), because the attention span is short.
- then it graduate for more interested people (internet/subscriptions audience)
- then even more (... if you a petrol head you need to buy tickets and took pictures of the cars by your own...)
- in the end is trailer for new season (this car is nothing like last year it will be much much faster...)

All of this is wrapped into nice video, but when "watch from a distance" it's nice media massage.
We will see more of such things. And to be clear I like this approach, I just want to point out this is not 100% good will from Mercedes but more like common agreement between Mercedes and Liberty Media...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Ennis
Ennis

F1Krof wrote:
Unc1eM0nty wrote:
F1Krof wrote:

I think this is only unusual, because it isn't usual. Now away from stating the obvious.. :)

I think F1 teams are often needlessly secretive. I understand there are certain things they want to keep under wraps, but they often seem intent on hiding things we already know. I'm sure there is a method to their madness, but I've never figured out what that method is. It seems like a 'this is what we've always done so this is what we'll do' thing.

Morteza

Via AMuS

Via @F1debrief
Last edited by Morteza on 07 Mar 2018, 12:11, edited 4 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

OO7
OO7

F1Krof wrote:
Unc1eM0nty wrote:
F1Krof wrote:

Mercedes have also been showing off their V6T for years now, I haven't seen other engine manufacturers other than Honda (who have provided incredible access) doing the same.