McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: McLaren MCL35

diffuser wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 18:57
I see the cape more of preventing the air from coming up and interfering with the vortexes than pushing the air down.

Not sure that distriction makes a difference.
You have to change the direction of airflow to create a high pressure zone, and a corresponding low pressure zone. So say you have a vortex travelling down the car, and a high pressure zone somewhere along the length of that vortex. That high pressure zone will make the vortex go around it, when that high pressure zone is disturbed(cross or tail wind for example), then the vortex will no longer be steered by that high pressure zone disturbing the vortex which is properly aimed when the high pressure zones are in place.

When you have water going down the drain and it forms a vortex, you can see the vortex can be disturbed, and water flow down the drain slows. Same with the vortecies travelling down the sides of the car.
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 19:19
diffuser wrote:
I see the cape more of preventing the air from coming up and interfering with the vortexes than pushing the air down.

You have to change the direction of airflow to create a high pressure zone, and a corresponding low pressure zone. So say you have a vortex travelling down the car, and a high pressure zone somewhere along the length of that vortex. That high pressure zone will make the vortex go around it, when that high pressure zone is disturbed(cross or tail wind for example), then the vortex will no longer be steered by that high pressure zone disturbing the vortex which is properly aimed when the high pressure zones are in place.

When you have water going down the drain and it forms a vortex, you can see the vortex can be disturbed, and water flow down the drain slows. Same with the vortecies travelling down the sides of the car.
The cape doesn't do that. In fact it starts out very narrow and widens. It isn't on a decline on incline ....just flat. in that sense it's just a seperator.

There is that piece atttched to the nose that is horisonal that generated the vortex. Not sure if we consider that part of the cape. I don't think that pushes air down, it spins it.

godlameroso

diffuser wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 01:50
godlameroso wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 19:19
diffuser wrote:

The cape doesn't do that. In fact it starts out very narrow and widens. It isn't on a decline on incline ....just flat. in that sense it's just a seperator.

There is that piece atttched to the nose that is horisonal that generated the vortex. Not sure if we consider that part of the cape. I don't think that pushes air down, it spins it.

If we look at this picture we can see the Mercedes cape is not flat at the end, neither is the RB or Renault cape. The other teams don't have capes.

Even the McLaren cape isn't truly flat, it's highlighted in flowvis.
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

This the best picture I found of the cape...

SiLo

This might be a better image for the Mercedes one. It's fairly flat but also expands towards the rear, almost like a diffuser.

I imagine McLaren will be trying to figure out how best to emulate this and control the airflow further down the car. I think a lot of the work the cape does is keeping Y250 and other barge-board/sidepod intake flows clean and separated.

ORRRRR, it's actually feeding air to the front edge of the floor.

Felipe Baby!

_cerber1

SiLo

_cerber1 wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 12:24
https://radikal.ru
Sadly blocked by my work network :(
Felipe Baby!

_cerber1

SiLo wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 13:02
Sadly blocked by my work network :(
First photos from pitlane.

M840TR
M840TR

SiLo wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 12:14
This might be a better image for the Mercedes one. It's fairly flat but also expands towards the rear, almost like a diffuser.

I imagine McLaren will be trying to figure out how best to emulate this and control the airflow further down the car. I think a lot of the work the cape does is keeping Y250 and other barge-board/sidepod intake flows clean and separated.

ORRRRR, it's actually feeding air to the front edge of the floor.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/wp-conte ... t-wing.jpg
The cape doesn't feed into the leading edge of the floor. It directs air towards the turning vanes and then the bargeboards.

godlameroso

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51739796

This article is from an actual F1 aerodynamicist.

"One of the first features that the y250 vortex starts to interact with is either the cape, or the J vane, depending on which is fitted.

Now, remember all the air is rotating around the y250 vortex. This is driving air downwards in the middle of the car.

This air hits the edge of the cape or J vane and creates a second vortex, this time rotating in the opposite direction.

This new vortex is absolutely key to the aerodynamics of the whole car.

The reason for this is that the next thing it does is go under the floor. Here, it triggers something a bit like a chain reaction."
Saishū kōnā

_cerber1

Hid :D

Macklaren
Macklaren

they STILL haven't decided on a nose to go with? I can only imagine the old nose is still here to aerotest new parts downstream and they will race the new nose on both cars

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

quick question:

how quickly Mclaren can adopt to mercedes engine? can they start wining from start of 2021 or we need to wait one or two year like with Renault?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

selvam_e2002 wrote:quick question:

how quickly Mclaren can adopt to mercedes engine? can they start wining from start of 2021 or we need to wait one or two year like with Renault?
Regardless of how smooth the engine installation goes, expecting wins due to just the engine change would be wrong... The gap between Mercedes and Mclaren is too big to be covered just by the engine change.

Depending on how much of a jump the new Aero parts help the car and whether RBR and Ferrari improve more than Mclaren over the winter or not, Mclaren fighting for Podiums would be a possibility in 2021.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Tea

selvam_e2002 wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 15:05
quick question:

Winning? Merc will still have the same engine, so that sounds optimistic.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.