Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MattyT
MattyT

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

myurr wrote: Doesn't look like there's anything special going on down there. Surprising really.
That diffuser is soooo 2009 :)

Raptor22
Raptor22

It IS a 2009 diffusor just as the front wing is a 2009 model...

They are not testing the 2010 front wing and diffusor today, perhaps not even at this test. Plenty of time to test out hose components over the remaining 3 test sessions.

they are evaluating the improved flow through the old diffusor with the new chassis and bodywork.
Improved flow through the old diffusor will be indicative of improvements made in feeding the rear wing and the relatinship bewteen it and the diffusor.

These Mercedes folk were not born last week you know :roll:

WhiteBlue

Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Theres something going on in that air box.

BUT... Intresting cooling requirement detail just behing the air box where the Henri Lloyd logo is into where the Mercedes Benz logo starts on the engine cover.

zgred

shotzski

Theres something going on in that air box.

BUT... Intresting cooling requirement detail just behing the air box where the Henri Lloyd logo is into where the Mercedes Benz logo starts on the engine cover.
If true, Then Merc and Mclaren's engine cover details are not so far off. Interesting. The two teams took similar concept but different approach.

OT: If the MP4-25 does have a splitter/hole below the airbox, then the air would pass around the side of the airbox, and meet behind the cover?

Jan_83

That's an interesting solution for the airbox and the rollbar.

WhiteBlue

Jan_83 wrote:That's an interesting solution for the airbox and the rollbar.
Yep, the airbox is not a part of the roll structure. Instead they have a massive beam splitting the airbox providing the roll protection. U can see the thickness at the hole which is cut into the top to provide access for the lifting tackles. Like McLaren they provide secondary cooling for some engine or gearbox ancillaries or they use those channels to guide some air under the bodywork for some purpose.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

meves
meves

A good view of the back of the merc, you can see the sensors on the rear wishbones, are they temp sensors? Also the small struts to hold the floor up, I'm suprised they haven't got a more elegant solution.

Timomies
Timomies

ESPImperium wrote:Image
Where is Michael watching? :lol:

zgred

gibells
gibells

Those wishbones are almost like trailing arms. Interesting. Great pics meves & zgred.

rich1701
rich1701

The car has protruding exhausts, which correct me if I'm wrong is illegal referring to Ferrari being forced to remove them last year?

WhiteBlue

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

rich1701 wrote:The car has protruding exhausts, which correct me if I'm wrong is illegal referring to Ferrari being forced to remove them last year?
It's a length thing, they can protrude just not very much. AFAIK anyway.