Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
lolzi
lolzi

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W02

Where did you get that information?! I thought it was highly guarded - I know an insider, so I actually have a bit more information:
They were actually discussing letting Rosberg and Schumacher ride together in one car, but when the two couldn't agree on who to actually drive, Norbert stepped in and just drove for both of them - they thought his excess fat would be a good movable ballast.

Formula None
Formula None

So, passive f duct to stall on the straights, and push to pass flap to extra stall :? for passing? Seriously though, as they're both aimed at stalling, it will be interesting to see how the two features are designed to work together.

ringo

I think the passive will be used if the gap is more than a second, and if when using that that allows the W02 to close in within a second, then they deploy the wing.
It's a double whammy.
Merc may basically have a wing adjustment that works within a 2s gap rather than 1.
For Sure!!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

ringo wrote:I think the passive will be used if the gap is more than a second, and if when using that that allows the W02 to close in within a second, then they deploy the wing.
It's a double whammy.
Merc may basically have a wing adjustment that works within a 2s gap rather than 1.
It being passive, it will only be deployed "involuntarily" ie. no driver input.
So the setup will have to be pretty spot on to be able to work when the wing has moved IMO if infact it even can at that angle.
More could have been done.
David Purley

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:According to @RacecarEngineer (Racecar Engineering) on Twitter the MGP W02-01 (Assuming that is the chassis) was fired up for the first time just a few days ago.

Id asume the W02-01 will get shaken down in about 5 weeks time, as they will probably use that chassis for seat fittings and initial changes before that time. But it could be that the Mercedes team want W02-02 to do testing and for 03 and 04 to go racing in Bahrain with 01 being used back in Brackley.
Where would the shakedown take place?
I doubt we will see any shakedown until February.

As for the Fducts....both varieties(passive and active) are banned for 2011.
Shakedown would either be at Silverstone on the Stowe cuircit or where Mercedes are now doing most of their shakedowns and TV days, Rockingham.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Yes but not before the inital winter tests where all teams turn up.
I just dont see any team risking their design being seeing so early.

Strange their shakedown at Rockingham in 2010 was conducted with not a single photo of the car. I dont see that happening this time round, I for one will be waitingv lolololol
David Purley

marcush.
marcush.

where´s the point to hide the tub? at this time no one has a chance to copy key elements anymore as all is to be homologised quite soon.
And tbh from a few pics you will not be able to derive too much anyways..perhaps get an idea about their suspension layout and perhaps any spectacular new feature ..but the w01 had at least one spectacular feature with the blade rollhoop but it was not indicative for the strength of the package really.

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

marcush. wrote:where´s the point to hide the tub? at this time no one has a chance to copy key elements anymore as all is to be homologised quite soon.
And tbh from a few pics you will not be able to derive too much anyways..perhaps get an idea about their suspension layout and perhaps any spectacular new feature ..but the w01 had at least one spectacular feature with the blade rollhoop but it was not indicative for the strength of the package really.
While true this isn't always the case. Remember the mass damper of Renault? I know, that was not visible, I'm just making a point. Often times, a certain component is the key to being competitive (and that component may or may not be visible).
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

raymondu999

Don't forget a recent f-contraption which gave a certain team an increased level of efficiency in terms of drag from their rear wing :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Raptor22
Raptor22

I remember Mr Migot from F1 in the 80's. He was one of the aero guys to have on your team back then.

MErcedes will most likely shake down W02 at Rockingham. I beleive they use it as their designated circuit.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Raptor22 wrote: MErcedes will most likely shake down W02 at Rockingham. I beleive they use it as their designated circuit.
Plausible, but I still think that the top teams will roll out at pretty much the same time for the first test.
David Purley

JohnsonsEvilTwin

@Marcush

My point here is that there are very visible things that can be copied next year. The rear wing idea, Wether the KERS will be fore or aft of the driver(a bit far out but you never know given the drawings we saw of Honda's KERS packaging) and the designers will want to have as much time at the initial phase to get the best out of it.

By doing a shakedown, you may cut the lead time on any "idea" you have.
David Purley

timbo
timbo

Raptor22 wrote:I remember Mr Migot from F1 in the 80's. He was one of the aero guys to have on your team back then.

MErcedes will most likely shake down W02 at Rockingham. I beleive they use it as their designated circuit.
AFAIK correct spelling is Migeot.
IMO it is hard to judge how good he is.
He is responsible for Tyrrell 019 which is obvious success, but also for Ferrari F92A — a legendary dog of a car.
However, it also seems that the concept of F92A was sound and mostly mechanical/packaging issues that spoiled it.

scarbs
scarbs

Jean Claude Migeot, as you say he designed the raised nose Tyrrell and the twin floor Ferrari. He also introduced the blown diffuser at Renault in 1983 and has run Aerolab\Fondmetal Aero\windtunnel consultancy since 92. He has therefore been partly responsible for aero devleopment at Tyrrell, Benetton, Renault, Minardi, Toyota, Force India and Lotus in recent years.

scarbs
scarbs

Merc's 2011 engine is now complete and dyno testing with its KERS set up.