Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

Re: Mercedes GP W02

scarbs wrote: Erm... good point, sorry I got distracted.

Merc's 2011 engine is now complete and dyno testing with its KERS set up.
Excellent news! If they did indeed fire up the W02 a few days ago, I assume they will chuck the 2011 lump in there soon to continue their preliminary testing.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Raptor22
Raptor22

How do you fire up a chassis?

The Engine gets fired up...

anyway, they're ahead of schedule apparently. At least another 6 weeks before images start appearing of W02

mith

Before testing? Wish it was true, but unfortunately we will probably see nothing until test in February, unless their car being secretly shot during shake down.
Last edited by mith on 01 Dec 2010, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

Don't know if anyone missed this:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11101033027 ... s---report

Seems like the W02 passed it's crash test a few days ago.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Morteza

NewtonMeter wrote:Don't know if anyone missed this:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11101033027 ... s---report

Seems like the W02 passed it's crash test a few days ago.
Thanks for the link NewtonMeter. I had not that read that piece of news. All I want to see is how their new car will look like :?:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I would say expect somthing a bit more Red Bull-esque.
They were the quickest single decker car in 2009, and I expect most teams to go with the tight packaged rear with blown diffuser integrated neatly into that.

The question mark for me is wether Mercedes will go with a larger sharkfin, as it seems they are very loathe to do so for some reason. Possibly somthing to do with their fancy airbox concept of 2010.

I see big revisions being made to the front of the car. The high nose of 2010, while in some way a nod to Red Bull, did not appear to do what Mercedes wanted(high drag for no apparent benefit in lower speed corners, a W01 achilles heel).

So maybe we will see Mercedes lower the nose slightly and incorporate more pronounced ridges in the nose a la Red Bull.

We are then left with the moveable rear wing, which according to some, may leave some scope open of some innovations. I wouldnt be writing this if I knew what it looked like :lol:

Then you are left with the the unseen things like flexing wings, weight distribution and and KERS packaging.
More could have been done.
David Purley

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Im expecting the W02 to be a BGP001 look alike car with a few tweaks.

Thats my personal expecatation.

dren

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:I would say expect somthing a bit more Red Bull-esque.
They were the quickest single decker car in 2009, and I expect most teams to go with the tight packaged rear with blown diffuser integrated neatly into that.

The question mark for me is wether Mercedes will go with a larger sharkfin, as it seems they are very loathe to do so for some reason. Possibly somthing to do with their fancy airbox concept of 2010.

I see big revisions being made to the front of the car. The high nose of 2010, while in some way a nod to Red Bull, did not appear to do what Mercedes wanted(high drag for no apparent benefit in lower speed corners, a W01 achilles heel).

So maybe we will see Mercedes lower the nose slightly and incorporate more pronounced ridges in the nose a la Red Bull.

We are then left with the moveable rear wing, which according to some, may leave some scope open of some innovations. I wouldnt be writing this if I knew what it looked like :lol:

Then you are left with the the unseen things like flexing wings, weight distribution and and KERS packaging.
I think shark fins are banned for 2011. I also think the only hole allowed in the diffuser is for the starter so a EBD is probably out of the question. The weight distribution is set for all cars. I don't know how much innovation we'll see in 2011. I expect most cars to have tight packages in the rear. The beam wing will be a bigger focus.
Honda!

Giblet
Giblet

I'm pretty sure that shark fins are not banned, but they are no longer allowed to connect to the rear wing.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

dren

Giblet wrote:I'm pretty sure that shark fins are not banned, but they are no longer allowed to connect to the rear wing.
Yeah, I came back to update what I posted. There is a gap where bodywork cannot exist, so they cannot touch the rear wing. The EBD may still be legal if blown straight into the diffuser I think?
Honda!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

The EBD can be blow over the diffuser, and technically into it so long as you don't create any extra openings (which leaves the starter motor hole).
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

So long as the fin itself doesnt fall within 50mm of the centre rear wheel line it is allowed.

"3.9.1 No bodywork situated between 50mm and 330mm forward of the rear wheel centre line may be more than 730mm above the reference plane."
David Purley

vealio
vealio

According to autosport sources from the team says the aero figures of the new car are above their initial target and that means they want to fight for wins from race 1

JohnsonsEvilTwin

vealio wrote:According to autosport sources from the team says the aero figures of the new car are above their initial target and that means they want to fight for wins from race 1
Do you have a link vealio?
David Purley

vealio
vealio

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
vealio wrote:According to autosport sources from the team says the aero figures of the new car are above their initial target and that means they want to fight for wins from race 1
Do you have a link vealio?
It´s in the new print edition.