2014 British GP - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
iotar__

Re: 2014 British GP - Silverstone

WilliamsF1 wrote: After all the running wide, he did not gain an advantage (still behind) so why penalize? The place he tried his overtakes were on wellington straight, luffield and into copse.
Are you kidding, so why was he doing that all the time? This is really incredible - just one-liner against all evidence. How the hell did he not gain an advantage? He gained every time he did it, he only overtook Alonso because he did it three times in one lap. Did you see corrections, lines and hesitation in Copse when Vettel tried to stay on the track? Why do you think every other driver (Hulkenberg etc.) got warning after doing the same once or twice?

This is really one of those indisputable situation. Did you miss clear direction about qualifying - 100% clear indication that you DO GAIN LAP TIME MEASURED IN SECONDS NOT OPINIONS by going wide in corners in question? Did you miss directive that every driver that goes wide in those corners gains an advantage and will de reported to stewards? Meanwhile FIA put their proverbial head in its proverbial bottom and pretended nothing happened.

basti313
basti313

iotar__ wrote:Why do you think every other driver (Hulkenberg etc.) got warning after doing the same once or twice?
Vettel also got these warnings like everyone else. And was not punished like everyone else, so what do you want to say?
I do not think you need to complain for Alonso...he got the warning already in lap 10, left the track twice on the fight against Button, left the track after the overtake on Kvyat, left it in the fight with Vettel...
I know you do not like Vettel and would have liked to see him punished, but the stewards just did not punish anyone. So calm down, nothing to be angry about. Maybe next time you are more lucky and Vettel gets punished for anything.
Don`t russel the hamster!

aral
aral

basti313 wrote: I do not think you need to complain for Alonso...he got the warning already in lap 10, left the track twice on the fight against Button, left the track after the overtake on Kvyat, left it in the fight with Vettel...
Correct. And it makes a mockery of the flag rules. Alonso got a black and white flag following three warnings. This is supposed to mean that if he did it again, then he would be penalised. He did it many times after that, yet the flag rule was not enforced. If flags can be ignored, it sets a dangerous precedent.

f1universe
f1universe

So this is what happen to Alonso:

the marshall pulled away his board early and Alonso had no reference to stop in the right place, bizarre.

radosav
radosav

Alonso said that he couldn't find his number! Bottas had his but Fernando couldn't see his own!

f1universe
f1universe

radosav wrote:Alonso said that he couldn't find his number! Bottas had his but Fernando couldn't see his own!
no kidding, by the time Alonso arrived to his grid slot and he has to check the board to know where to stop, the board was gone, just look at the boards ahead, they are there until the driver stop (the on board camera video is out there and is crystal clear). This is a massive screw up by Charlie Whiting, he had 1 hour to check why Alonso stopped after the line and he couldn't figure it, probably he was too busy checking a single frame on twitter.

komninosm
komninosm

Mandrake wrote: Overall I think it's far from fair and consistent what is going on in F1. Red flag a race and the order from 1-2 laps before the flag is taken for the final result. Red flag in Lap 1 without a single lap completed and the current order is taken? This is just decisions based on what promises to give a better show.....if I want to see a show I watch Wrestling or Nitro Circus or other staged events...
As a Hamilton fan I was happy about that, but indeed at first I was confused as I didn't expect it at all.
What are the actual rules guys?

komninosm
komninosm

WaikeCU wrote:Yes, but the reason why it's over-monitored is because of the cost savings. Gearbox, PU's and other parts have been limited more and more over the past decade to an extent where words like 'save' and 'manage' are more mentioned than the word 'push'. It's sad to see the sport heading this way.
It's sad indeed. I want every race to be separate and not affected by previous ones (only exception being some severe penalty). It sucks that you have to save components in one race for the next.

atanatizante

People at Red Bull are saying that Renault has almost 60 HP deficit to Merc PU ...
I don't get it : this came from the ICE, ERS or both?
And this deficit worth aprox. 2 sec a lap, bearing in mind you have full power for only 33 seconds?
Or the theory is that in the time remained in order to finish the lap ( t - 33 sec ) Renault has a deficite of 60 HP, or in other words in this time Merc's MGU-H is producing more power than Renault one and the deficit is the figure above mentioned?
And in addition this amount of power cames from the split turbo or a better MGU-H performance?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

turbof1

atanatizante wrote:People at Red Bull are saying that Renault has almost 60 HP deficit to Merc PU ...
And this deficit worth aprox. 2 sec a lap, bearing in mind you have full power for only 33 seconds?
Or the theory is that in the time remained in order to finish the lap ( t - 33 sec ) Renault has a deficite of 60 HP, or in other words in this time Merc's MGU-H is producing more power than Renault one and the deficit is the figure above mentioned?
And in addition this amount of power cames from the split turbo or a better MGU-H performance?
Most probably ERS. I picked up that the ICE's are more or less the same concerning power and efficiency.
#AeroFrodo

SiLo

komninosm wrote:
Mandrake wrote: Overall I think it's far from fair and consistent what is going on in F1. Red flag a race and the order from 1-2 laps before the flag is taken for the final result. Red flag in Lap 1 without a single lap completed and the current order is taken? This is just decisions based on what promises to give a better show.....if I want to see a show I watch Wrestling or Nitro Circus or other staged events...
As a Hamilton fan I was happy about that, but indeed at first I was confused as I didn't expect it at all.
What are the actual rules guys?
I know if they finish a race it's taken from the last full lap completed at racing speeds. However, this was a stop on the first lap so I'm not sure.

Not that I think it would have made much difference, Hamilton would have passed them just as easily.
Felipe Baby!

strad

Why should he require a board at all? He's no rookie.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

atanatizante

turbof1 wrote:
atanatizante wrote:People at Red Bull are saying that Renault has almost 60 HP deficit to Merc PU ...
Most probably ERS. I picked up that the ICE's are more or less the same concerning power and efficiency.

Thanx for the answer but could you be more specific and go into detail?
After all it's a technical forum ... or at least I presume it is ...
A 60 HP deficit coming out of ERS it means at any time during a lap they can have only 100 HP as max. power, isn't it?
So this goes to the next question :
What ERS's component makes the difference?
If Renault's MGU-K is producing only 80 HP (2MJ allowed by the rules) thus MGU-H is responsable for the remaining 20 HP, isn't it?
And that is possible coz the other 60 HP MGU-H is producing goes for spooling the turbo and other ancillary stuff?
Or maybe Renault's MGU-K does only 20 HP and MGU-H the other 80 HP?
So in conclusion Mercy's ERS could produce 160 HP coz their clever split turbo allows them not spending energy elsewhere ( anti-lag and ancillary) or is the fact that in the time remaining t-33 sec. their MGU-H is giving them 60 HP more than Renault' MGU-H does?
Jesus

FW17

atanatizante wrote:
turbof1 wrote: Most probably ERS. I picked up that the ICE's are more or less the same concerning power and efficiency.

A 60 HP deficit coming out of ERS it means at any time during a lap they can have only 100 HP as max. power, isn't it?
If Renault's MGU-K is producing only 80 HP (2MJ allowed by the rules) thus MGU-H is responsable for the remaining 20 HP, isn't it?
And that is possible coz the other 60 HP MGU-H is producing goes for spooling the turbo and other ancillary stuff?
So in conclusion Mercy's ERS could produce 160 HP coz their clever split turbo allows them not spending energy elsewhere ( anti-lag and ancillary) or is the fact that in the time remaining t-33 sec. their MGU-H is giving them 60 HP more than Renault' MGU-H does?
Merc IC engine is more efficient than the other 2, they can do most races with about 90 kgs of fuel.
The remaining 10 kgs of fuel is being used for hot blowing the turbo and MGU-H, giving them a huge advantage over the others. These maps are not available to the other Merc teams.

atanatizante

WilliamsF1 wrote:
atanatizante wrote:
turbof1 wrote: Most probably ERS. I picked up that the ICE's are more or less the same concerning power and efficiency.

Merc IC engine is more efficient than the other 2, they can do most races with about 90 kgs of fuel.
The remaining 10 kgs of fuel is being used for hot blowing the turbo and MGU-H, giving them a huge advantage over the others. These maps are not available to the other Merc teams.
Nice try! :)
Could you do it again?
Jesus